Thread: Liz Hurley accused of maid pay abuse

Default Liz Hurley accused of maid pay abuse

Liz Hurley and husband Arun Nayar have been accused of paying their Indian maid as little as £1.20 an hour.

Violet d'Souza, who is said to have been brought to Britain by Mr Nayar's family, claims she was paid in rupees for working up to 70 hours a week at the couple's Chelsea home.
    She was due to take her case to an employment tribunal tomorrow but it has been dropped after she was reported to have been offered a five-figure settlement.

Ms d'Souza, 31, says she worked several days a week at the Chelsea house, where she also lived. Her chores included cleaning, cooking and babysitting from 7.30am until, on occasions, 3am the next day.

According to the Daily Mirror, the couple paid her 8,000 rupees a week - around £100. The equivalent hourly rate would be between £1.40 and £1.60, and sometimes as little as £1.20 if she worked long hours. The legal minimum wage is £5.52.

Hurley, 42, is said to be worth £13 million from acting and modelling contracts while Mr Nayar, 43, comes from a wealthy Indian textiles family.

Ms d'Souza, who was dismissed after a row, claimed breach of contract, failure to supply a written statement of terms, race discrimination and unfair dismissal.

She also claimed back pay. The claims have been withdrawn. A spokesman for Kingsway Tribunal Centre, where the case was due to start tomorrow, said: "We can confirm that the claim has been withdrawn and the pre-hearing review has been cancelled but cannot discuss the reasons."

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

That disgusting wench. I don't care if Liz Hurle is considered gorgeous or talented. How dare she abuse people.

Rich people are almost always the cheapest. I suppose they thought that it was a privilege for someone to work for them.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Yeah, it was horrible. But she didn't quit, she waited until she was fired.

Well, given that she was brought to the country by them and was probably unfamiliar with English laws, and given that she didn't exactly have a lot of money to extricate herself, I'm willing to cut her a break. I don't think you can assume that she had all the freedoms and knowledge of a normal British citizen. She obviously found herself a mouthpiece who took her case for the publicity.

Good for her. For every "lowly" service worker that finds a good lawyer to get a good settlement, there are thousands upon thousands who simply take it, call it a loss that they were unfairly taken advantage of and let it slide. Don't kid yourselves, this stuff goes on more than you'd care to know.

^^I am on her side all the way. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

No, I thought you were perfectly clear PB.

Greedy nasty bitch

If this is true, damn they are cheap!

Assholes!

I don't blame this woman one bit for staying in the job. Many people have little other choice but to stay employed. Currently a relative is working as a nurse at a Doctors practice. She's being paid slightly less than her award rate and has absoloutely no benefits but is worked like a dog. If she complains, she will lose her job - like others before her did. If she quits there is no guarantee she can find another job at a Doctors surgery, she will have to return to the Hospital, which she doesn't want to do.

Her boss is rich too. Some rich people do SUCK. They're more tight with money than people on a medium wage because they become obsessed with money.
    ssabmud

Cheap ass bitch. I hope she has to pay every bit of that money back to this lady.

Five Figures? It better have been a HIGH five figures.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Thread Information