Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Terrence Howard a Jehovah's Witness?

Default Is Terrence Howard a Jehovah's Witness?

I wasn't sure where to put this, here, or in Miscellaneous, so if it's in the wrong place, please move it.

I was on the Gawker website and read this;

February 17th 2008 @ 11am
    I walked by a sharply dressed Terrance Howard coming out of Jehovah's Witness East Manhattan Congregation. He was with his kid and trying to hail a cab. Definitely very tall and attractive in person!

Gawker Stalker

I have a JW friend and I've studied it, and I doubt they'd be involved in Hollywood. It just happens to be one of the most immoral places in the world. Wealth, and fame aren't on their priorities.
    Interesting.

I don't know if he is a JW, but there are a few celebrities who follow them, or use to...Now, you want to talk cults...
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Michael Jackson grew up as a JW.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I don't know,but Terrence Howard always creeps me out.
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

Michael Jackson was raised JW, and Prince is a JW. He actually goes door to door with those pamphlets sometimes.

And Terrence is a dick!

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, I believe Michael Jackson grew up as a JW.
    His mother got into it, started going to Kingdom Hall (which is there church meetings), and took the kids along with her. But Michael isn't a baptized witness.

And a friend of my friend who is travelling in England said she sat behind Prince at one of the recent Jehovahs Witness conventions - which are the big meetings all around the world, in my homecity, there were 9,000 people there.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. His views on women seem wacky and archaic, so a nutty religious influence like the JW's would make sense. *crosses fingers and hopes there are no JW's here*

(Sorry, but I know a woman who is a JW and she refuses to celebrate any holidays including her children's birthdays. Can you imagine being a child and not having a birthday each year....no card, no presents, no party? It seems kind of cruel and nutty.)
    Last edited by MissDecember; February 18th, 2008 at 06:18 PM.

^ I never understood the birthday thing either. One of my closet friends was raised Catholic until she was 12, then her parents became JWs and her birthdays stopped. But her mother would still give her an unwrapped gift on her birthday, but not call it a birthday present.

As a mom I can't imagine not celebrating my child's birthday, it will always be the best day of my life- how could I not acknowledge it?

I have friends that grew up JW they say Happy Born Day, and Happy Love Day...

Weird Encounters with JW:
    I use to go to a hair salon owned by JW, one day I was under the hair dryer when one of them tried to recruit me...I left hair wet rollers and all. I also had one very persistent JW lady that use to come to my door the same time every Saturday, one time she came when I was getting out of the shower...she stuck her head through the mail slot saw me naked...she never came to my house again!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

I guess it's kinda better than being a $cientologist.

Terrence Howard: 'I Would Be a Witness'
    Listen Now add to playlist

Academy Award-nominated actor Terrence Howard attends the 78th Annual Academy Awards ceremony March 2006 in Los Angeles. AFP/Getty Images

“In my heart, I wanted to be a Witness. If it wasn't for the smoking of cigarettes and all ... I would be a Witness.”
    Actor Terrence Howard

Tell Me More, May 22, 2007 · As host of the PBS documentary series Independent Lens, actor Terrence Howard introduces viewers to the film Knocking. It's a look inside the Jehovah's Witness religion. He talks candidly to NPR about the film and his personal connection to the faith.
    Howard prides himself on choosing roles that speak to him. It is an ethic he has held close to him throughout his career in Hollywood, demonstrated through his performances in films such as Mr. Holland's Opus, Crash, Lackawanna Blues and, most recently, Pride. His Academy Award nomination for Hustle & Flow helped him become a household name. With all that glitz, his rise to fame is more familiar than his spiritual journey to most people.
    Howard on being exposed to the Jehovah's Witness religion as a child:
    "I came across [Jehovah's Witnesses] and, like most people, I was told that when we heard the Witnesses or saw them walking up the street, you would immediately shut the curtains and act like nobody was home, and I always wondered about that."
    Howard later embarked on his own exploration of the faith. As a young adult, he began to embrace the principles of the religion.
    Now, 17 years later and with a Hollywood career that continues to ascend, he's very open about one ongoing personal conflict: his faith.
    "I'm like most people in the world. I'm a little selfish in what I want. I like doing my thing, my way," the actor says. "In my heart, I wanted to be a Witness. If it wasn't for the smoking of cigarrettes and all ... I would be a Witness."
    The actor has yet to trade his spiritual aspirations for his professional ones. But he plans to pursue his desire to become an active Jehovah's Witness.
    "Sometimes it takes awhile to be able to qualify. You have to qualify to run in the race. I'm exercising," he says.
    Knocking is produced by Joel P. Engardio and Tom Shepard.

NPR: Terrence Howard: 'I Would Be a Witness'

Venus and Sareena Williams are JW's as well.

Michael Jackson was a baptized witness. He was reproved for the Thriller video, which is why he had a disclaimer added before the video started. He later formally resigned his participation in the religion by disassociating himself (this involves writing a letter stating that you no longer wish to be one of Jehovah's Witnesses.) His mother is practicing, but most witnesses don't claim her, as she continues to associate with her disfellowshipped/disassociated children and (gasp!) attended a boxing match.

Lisa from "Saved by the Bell" is also a witness. My friends and I used to follow her all around the yearly assemblies, when SBTB was all the rage! (I guess I've always been obsessed with all things celebrity.)

I understand that Howard studied, but never was baptized, so he is not a JW.

I was a extremely religious JW till the age of 18. For any looking into it or studying it, please be careful. It's a dangerous organization.

Quote Originally Posted by sharon_b View Post
    I forgot about them!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

Quote Originally Posted by sharon_b View Post
    They were raised JW, and although they've confessed to believe it, they've done things that would have gotten a non-celeb witness kicked out in a second (dating non-jws, singing the national anthem, dressing provocatively, wearing stars and stripes, etc.) Also, they admitted that they don't participate in the preaching work, which is required to be considered a JW. They would be considered inactive JWs, which is not a title to be proud of in that religion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information