Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Save the Carpenters' home!

Default Save the Carpenters' home!

Save The Carpenters' Home!

Karen and Richard Carpenters' former home in Downey, CA is in danger of getting the chop. The home is where the two wrote a lot of their songs and it was the cover of their album "Now & Then." It was also where Karen collapsed in 1983 before passing away.

The home's current owners, Manuel and Blanca Melendez Parra, want to bulldoze the house down and build a new one, because they are sick of being bothered by Carpenters' fans. The Parra family said that when they first bought the house they allowed the fans in, but it became too much. "In the beginning, we let everybody in. But honestly, it became horrible, not only for us but for the neighborhood. People peek in windows and take pictures. They leave flowers on the front porch." Free flowers? Where's the problem?

Carpenters' fans are protesting the demolition and have asked the city of Downey to make the home a historical landmark. One fan said, "This house is our version of Graceland. When they photographed the 'Now & Then' cover here in 1973, the house was instantly immortalized.

We've only just begun, Blanca! All these fans needs to do is ask Blanca to give them the house and they can move it somewhere else and turn it into a museum or something. This sounds like a job for Ty Pennington and Extreme Home Makeover.
    Save The Carpenters' Home! | Dlisted
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

i've been by this house, back in the 70's. cant say i blame the owners for bulldozing it.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Loved the Carpenters and knew every song.
    Into the sunrise. The sunset is sad to me….it only means the night is coming.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Anyone else find it creepy that she was always singing those love songs to her brother? Great music but something was always weird about that situation.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

A*O

I totally agree Butt - some weird stuff going on there for sure. But she had probably the best singing voice of all time - it sends shivers down my spine no matter how cheesy the song - and it's a damn shame she decided that being skinny was more important. I don't often say it's a 'tragedy' when celebs kill themselves but in Karen's case I make an exception. She had a divine gift in that voice and I'm glad we were lucky enough to enjoy it while it lasted.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Agree, beautiful voice and I love me some CArpenters (although have never been skinny enough to dress as her for Halloween). But still think those lyrics she was singing into her brothers eyes were a bit dodgy, given the circumstances.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I always will associate the Carpenters' with Chris Farley and David Spade

Don't you remember you told me you loved me baby?
    You said you'd be coming back this way again baby.
    Baby, baby, baby, baby, oh, baby.
    I love you, I really do.
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I totally agree Butt - some weird stuff going on there for sure. But she had probably the best singing voice of all time - it sends shivers down my spine no matter how cheesy the song - and it's a damn shame she decided that being skinny was more important. I don't often say it's a 'tragedy' when celebs kill themselves but in Karen's case I make an exception. She had a divine gift in that voice and I'm glad we were lucky enough to enjoy it while it lasted.
    Their mother was a whacko and emotionally (and maybe physically) abusive and probably the root cause of Karen's anorexia. She was the kind of mother who always found something to pick at or criticize and that continued until the day Karen died. Karen spent much of her life trying to break away from/not disappoint her domineering mother, whom could never seem to please.

I think Karen Carpenter (along with Annie Lennox) has one of the most beautiful voices I have ever heard; a truly haunting voice that was indeed able to transcend the cheese factor of those corny songs that Richard wrote. Even as a young kid I knew just by listening to those songs and watching her sing on TV specials that she was the one who really knew what was going on and Richard was the corn dog.

My my, didn't we all just dip our tongues in some acid today.

Why don't these people put their house on the market as the Carpenter house & try to get an inflated price from a life-long fan & then move to where they can have more privacy? Problem solved!
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

The current owners bought the house of a dead celeb and it never occurred to them fans would annoy the hell out of them? I say make them stay and deal with it.

^ Yeah, I agree Novice. Some people just aren't that smart.

Sick of Carpenter's fans bugging them, eh? Here's an idea: MOVE. The end.

I wonder...if she'd been able to break away from Richard and go solo would she have become an even bigger star??
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

^^Most likely, since I'm sure songwriters the world over would have been knocking each other down to write for her. I wonder if their original house in New haven, Ct. is a tourist attraction as well.

--Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    Anyone else find it creepy that she was always singing those love songs to her brother? Great music but something was always weird about that situation.
    It's interesting to note that Richard has no qualms with keeping it in the family, either.

He married his mother's sister's child Mary - aka his first cousin - and had 5 kids with her.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information