Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charles Barkley: 'Conservatives are fake Christians'

Default Charles Barkley: 'Conservatives are fake Christians'

Former NBA star Charles Barkley, who is not known for his timidity when it comes to discussing his political beliefs, will surely be ruffling right-wing feathers with his latest comments.

Barkley, currently an NBA commentator for the TNT network, appeared today on CNN's 'Situation Room.' When asked by host Wolf Blitzer about his views on the presidential race, Barkley said he didn't want to see the Republicans win because they were 'fake Christians.'

The comment came after Barkley was asked his reasons for supporting presidential candidate Barack Obama, rather than Hillary Clinton or any of the Republican candidates.

"I've got great respect for Sen. McCain, great respect, but I don't like the way Republicans have taken this country," said Barkley. "Every time I hear the word 'conservative,' it makes me sick to my stomach, because they're really just fake Christians, as I call them. That's all they are."

Blitzer moved on to a different question following the comment, but later followed-up at the end of his interview and asked him to elaborate on what he meant by "fake Christian."

"I think they want to be judge and jury," Barkley replied. "Like, I'm for gay marriage. It's none of my business if gay people want to get married. I'm pro-choice. And I think these Christians, first of all, they're not supposed to judge other people. But they're the most hypocritical judge of people we have in the country. And it bugs the hell out of me. They act like they're Christians. They're not forgiving at all."

Barkley also explained why he was supporting Barack Obama. "When i look at him, he represents everything that's good in the black community," Barkley said. "He's intelligent. He's articulate. You know, most of our role models are athletes or entertainers. We've got to get more black kids to be educated, carry themselves with great class and dignity. He's perfect for what we need. We've got so much black-on-black crime in this country right now. We've got a lot of kids not getting their education. That's why I'm supporting him."

Barkley also reiterated a claim he has made before regarding his intention to run for governor of Alabama.

"I just bought a house in 2007 and in 2014, I promise you I'm going to run for governor," Barkley said. "You have to have residency for seven years. I bought my house at the end of last year and I'll be eligible in 2014."

source: The Raw Story | Charles Barkley: Conservatives are 'fake Christians'
    Mischief. Mayhem. Tattoos. Soap.

Whatever, Charles. As usual, an athlete who doesn't know what he's talking about.

"Like, I'm for gay marriage. It's none of my business if gay people want to get married. I'm pro-choice. And I think these Christians, first of all, they're not supposed to judge other people. But they're the most hypocritical judge of people we have in the country. And it bugs the hell out of me. They act like they're Christians. They're not forgiving at all."
    I don't think he has any business questioning the religious values of Republicans who "judge" people by opposing gay marriage when he supports a candidate who is in favor of abortion. How does Charles justify that as upholding Christian values? Barack is not any more of a "real" Christian than Huckabee or McCain.

Geez, Chaaaz, you sure make it hard to like you.

Surprisingly, I agree with EVERYTHING Barkley said. He hit the nail right on the head. A lot, not all, conservatives are 'fake' Christians. They expound on Jesus and God and defending people's rights and liberties, and they're usually the first ones to try and take those liberties away, or use God as an excuse to justify some of the craziest bullshit.

He was also right about the black community needing more than just athletes and entertainers as role mdoels, and Obama does fit that bill.

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    Whatever, Charles. As usual, an athlete who doesn't know what he's talking about.

I don't think he has any business questioning the religious values of Republicans who "judge" people by opposing gay marriage when he supports a candidate who is in favor of abortion. How does Charles justify that as upholding Christian values? Barack is not any more of a "real" Christian than Huckabee or McCain.
    Are you serious? Being pro-choice DOES NOT make you pro-abortion or mean that you favor abortion. That rationale is just as twisted as people saying that if you don't support the war you're pro-terrorist.

I think CB is right on the money here. And like that he has the balls to say it on CNN to Wolf Blitzer. The Rep. party can thank Dubya for getting further saddled with that redheaded stepchild (the fake Xtian ultraconservatives)
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I thing it rings true-fake Christians. But then, I am strongly pro choice. Without the abortion laws, we would have a heck of a lot of criminals and be even more overpopulated. Why should any woman be forced to have a child? We have enough rotten mothers who actually wanted them-until they got them!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Gold Member

So Charles admits he's supporting Obama just because he's black? That is the most ridiculous reason I've ever heard for supporting a Presidential candidate. What if a white celeb endorsed Hillary just because she's white? Or 85+% of white voters were voting for Hillary? Without a doubt, we would be subjected to lectures from the media about how racist America still is, and how we haven't moved forward. But it's a non-story when blacks vote for their own.

I agree the black community in America has a lot of problems. But I don't see how Obama being the President is suddenly going to make more black youths finish high school and go on to college, or commit less crime, etc. People focus too much on 'role models' when people have to take responsibility for their own lives, and set their own paths. Plus, Obama being 1/2 white and not being raised by his Kenyan father at all sends the wrong message.

Riiiiiight Charles. And all Democrats are hypocritical, bitter elites like Rosie O'Donnell and Michael Moore. SIGH...

All this hate fueled talk only furthers stereotypes, which fuels the hatred even more. Its the loudest, and most often extremely wrong and hateful folks on BOTH sides of the fence, that give the rest of us bad reps.

I know my conservative Christian friends aren't even remotely close to Mike Huckabee and Pat Robertson, just as I know not all of my liberal friends are like Rosie and Michael. Do the extremists exist on both sides? Hell yes. But they are not the majority, no matter what you read or have been led to believe.

Get over the stereotyping, people. Sheesh.

Christians aren't supposed to judge, and yet the ones on display and in power do so most of all while their followers nod in sheeplike agreement.

Doing so violates biblical tenets. THere's nothing christian about the freakshows banging their bibles, and nothing christian about the crazies that follow them.

THOSE are fake christians. The ones who claim the title and act the complete opposite. I'm pretty sure that's what ol Barkley was getting at.
    Last edited by Grimmlok; February 16th, 2008 at 12:48 AM.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by purple rain View Post
    So Charles admits he's supporting Obama just because he's black? That is the most ridiculous reason I've ever heard for supporting a Presidential candidate. What if a white celeb endorsed Hillary just because she's white? Or 85+% of white voters were voting for Hillary? Without a doubt, we would be subjected to lectures from the media about how racist America still is, and how we haven't moved forward. But it's a non-story when blacks vote for their own.

I agree the black community in America has a lot of problems. But I don't see how Obama being the President is suddenly going to make more black youths finish high school and go on to college, or commit less crime, etc. People focus too much on 'role models' when people have to take responsibility for their own lives, and set their own paths. Plus, Obama being 1/2 white and not being raised by his Kenyan father at all sends the wrong message.
    Barkley didn't say that the ONLY reason he was voting for Obama was because he was black. He mentioned other qualities about Obama, that went beyond just his skin color, like how he represents everything that's good in the community. He didn't say 'he's black, so Obama gets my vote.' And I think that the Clintons expecting ALL the black voters to automatically fall in line and vote for Hillary because of Bill's popularity in the black community is worse than anything Barkley said. Which is why the Clintons went out of their way to make Obama's race an issue.

And Barkley wasn't saying that if Obama got elected that all would be perfect in the black community. What he was saying was that Obama gives young black men and women something MORE to aspire to than just wanting to be entertainers and athletes, who are just looking to wear more bling.

And if memory serves me correctly didn't Oprah, whose primary audience is made up of white women, take a LOT of heat because she backed Obama, rather than Hillary, and she was accused of only doing it because he's black?

What's funny is that barkley started out as a republican, correct me if I'm wrong, and ever since switching sides, he's been trying way too hard to show that he is "one of them" by making statements like these. And yes, any which way you want to put it, he feels Obama is the ideal candidate because of his skin color.

^^^I didn't say that Obama's skin color wasn't an issue for Barkley. I said that it wasn't the ONLY reason he was voting for Obama. Obama's intelligence and personality are factors, too, which Barkley pointed out.

And a case could be made that when Roseanne blasted Oprah for backing Obama instead of Hillary that she was only supporting Hillary because she's a white woman. In fact, Roseanne made it a point to mention how Hillary was a seasoned FEMALE / WOMAN politician.

I think in this day and age it takes balls to speak openly about your beliefs when it goes against the party you aligned with for so long, without caring about the backlash. I agree whole heartedly with him. He said nothing wrong, and yes he was a republican but saw the error of his ways. I actually heard this on the Michael Baisden show, what he said about Obama being black had more to do with him being able to be a real role model for people, generally children in the black community.Who more or less only think that a successful black person is either an entertainer or an athlete..or if their horizons are even smaller the corner boy, drug dealer..etc..

Even if one of his reasons for voting for Obama is because he is black, so what..there are tons of women voting for Hillary because she is a WOMEN!! I am voting for him because I believe he can bring this country together without alienating anybody!

The fact that there are still people in this country that believe you can tell someone that they can't marry the person they love, nor tell a woman what she can or can't do with her body and use it as a platform to get other closed minded people to vote for them is horrifying to me. While using the Bible, and the term "Christian" to make it right. The Bible says judge not, less ye be judged. If you were a true Christian, you wouldn't only use certain parts of the Bible to further your Agenda! They did this with slavery, and they weren't right then were they. I am pro choice, pro civil and gay rights, pro gay marriage, pro death penalty, and pro the Christian Fanatic Right minding their damn business!! How dare someone tell anyone who they can love and marry. It pisses me off!! And that sanctity of marriage thing is bullshit, the 'institute of marriage' has been screwed up for years!! And unless the pro-life crazies plan on adopting or supporting all of those unwanted babies that mothers want to abort them..then kick rocks!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Ruh-oh. I think he's treading on sensitive territory... I don't think they all are... but for the most part I agree with him.
    ssabmud

Bronze Member

I see nothing wrong with what he's saying ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information