Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beyonce's father, Matthew Knowles, calls Aretha Franklin's criticisms "ridiculous"

Default Beyonce's father, Matthew Knowles, calls Aretha Franklin's criticisms "ridiculous"

Beyonce's dad weighs in on 'queen' flap

NEW YORK - Beyonce's father says Aretha Franklin's criticism of his daughter for referring to Tina Turner as "the Queen" at the Grammys is "ridiculous."

On Tuesday, the Queen of Soul let everyone know her royal feathers were ruffled when Beyonce called Turner "The Queen" before their joint performance Sunday at the Grammys. Franklin, who also performed at the ceremony, was sitting in the audience: Beyonce did reference her along with other top female singers before introducing Turner.

"I am not sure of whose toes I may have stepped on or whose ego I may have bruised between the Grammy writers and Beyonce," Franklin said in a statement issued by her publicist. "However, I dismissed it as a cheap shot for controversy."

However, in an interview with CelebTV.com posted Wednesday, Matthew Knowles, Beyonce's father and manager, said: "I am not taking something this ridiculous to Beyonce. Beyonce referred to Tina Turner as a 'queen.' Not queen of gospel, queen of soul, queen of blues, Queen of England. I consider my wife a queen and sometimes call her that. Does Aretha have a problem with that?"

Beyonce's representative did not respond to a request from The Associated Press seeking comment.

An e-mail request for comment from Franklin's representative was not immediately returned. However, in her statement on Tuesday, Franklin made clear she wasn't holding a grudge toward Beyonce, ending her statement by giving the Grammys thanks and "love to Beyonce anyway."
    Beyonce's dad weighs in on 'queen' flap - Yahoo! News
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I have to agree, I think Aretha, amazing as she is, went a bit OTT over this

Why couldn't Beonstage take up for herself? Why does Daddy have to do it for her? She is a grown woman and can speak for herself.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I agree, darksithbunny. Why are people keeping this thing going? STFU already.

Beyonce probably just figured it would blow over, but Aretha just HAD to say something. so her dad just did a 'dad thing'
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

More comments:

E! News - Beyoncé's "Queen" a Royal Pain for Aretha - Beyoncé Knowles

Beyoncé's "Queen" a Royal Pain for Aretha

By Gina Serpe

There are plenty of divas. But there can only be one queen.

Aretha Franklin has lashed out at well-intentioned comments made by Beyoncé Knowles during the latter's introduction of Tina Turner on the Grammy stage Sunday night. Franklin, 65, says she felt disrepected after Knowles referred to Turner as the Queen, while relegating Franklin to a brief name check in a long list of inspirational singers past, an act apparently tantamount to musical heresy.

"I am not sure of whose toes I may have stepped on or whose ego I may have bruised between the Grammy writers and Beyoncé. However, I dismissed it as a cheap shot for controversy," a clearly offended Franklin said in an unprompted statement issued by her publicist.

As yet, neither Knowles' camp nor the Recording Academy has copped to penning the offensive intro, though Knowles' father and manager Mathew has already shot back at the Franklin.

"Something this ridiculous—it's childish, it's unprofessional," he said in a statement Thursday. "And it's a sad day when egos get bruised because somebody used the word king, queen, prince or princess."

What exactly set off Franklin's perceived lack of R-E-S-P-E-C-T? That would be Knowles' rambling spoken-word tribute to Turner, with whom Knowles performed, at the weekend awards show.

"Sarah Vaughn, Aretha Franklin, Chaka Khan: Historical women who have performed on this very stage," Knowles said onstage. "When I was a little girl, I dreamed of being on this stage. But I knew I needed all the elements, like the beat of Donna Summer, the spirit of Mahalia Jackson, the jazz of Ella or Nancy.

"Lena Horne, Anita Baker, Diana Ross. Gladys, Janet and the beautiful melodies of Whitney. The legacy they have bestowed are simply irreplaceable. But there is one legend who has the essence of all of these things: the glamour, the soul, the passion, the strength, the talent. Ladies and gentleman...give it up for the Queen."

Cue the entrance of the 68-year-old Turner and the ire of Franklin, who, in fairness to her dismay, has long been publicly designated as the Queen of Soul.

Franklin, who went on to perform in a gospel medley later in the evening, and who shared an award with Mary J. Blige for Best Gospel Performance for the duet "Never Gonna Break My Faith," still managed to take time out from her bitch session to thank the Recording Academy, which earlier honored her as their 2008 MusiCares Person of the Year, and inform a certain superstar that there were no hard feelings for the slight.

"I thank the Grammys and the voting academy for my 20th Grammy and love to Beyoncé anyway."

(Originally published Feb. 13, 2008 at 8:15 a.m. PST.)

Copyright 2008 E! Entertainment Television, Inc. All rights reserved.
    [/QUOTE]

I am not taking something this ridiculous to Beyonce. Beyonce referred to Tina Turner as a 'queen.' Not queen of gospel, queen of soul, queen of blues, Queen of England. I consider my wife a queen and sometimes call her that. Does Aretha have a problem with that?
    That shit is funny, and SO TRUE!!

Aretha Frankin(who I adore completely) is the one who is keeping this going. She harped on it her whole NAACP acceptance speech. I don't know if any of you know this, but even though Beyonce is a grown woman(she is 20 years younger than Aretha) her calling Aretha(a 65 yr old woman) out would look very disrespectful. So an adult had to do take her to task. She was respecting her elders!!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Hell has truly frozen over because I AGREE with Beyonce's father. Aretha is making something out of nothing, and she is being ridiculous. But, then again, Aretha has ALWAYS been insecure when it comes to other singers. At her age, you'd think she'd get over that by now.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I think Aretha has earned her right to her mammoth ego. I can see why she'd feel slighted by the "Queen" comment. If I had her 50 years' worth of accomplishments (including her role in the 60s civil rights movement) and her gifted, unparalleled voice, I'd be a cranky, entitled bitch too.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Hell has truly frozen over because I AGREE with Beyonce's father. Aretha is making something out of nothing, and she is being ridiculous. But, then again, Aretha has ALWAYS been insecure when it comes to other singers. At her age, you'd think she'd get over that by now.
    I knew there were ice cycles forming around the gates of hell, but dayum!! This has definitely led to a freeze over in hell..momentarily though!!

She needs to let this go, no one can deny that she is a great singer...let go..

Unless she is upset that she can't find Tina's and Beyonce's outfits nowhere near her size so she had to repeat dresses for two Award show events!!

Image Awards!
    NAACP Image Awards - Yahoo! News Photos
    Grammy Post Party!
    Grammy Awards Parties - Yahoo! News Photos
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by SSDiva View Post
    I knew there were ice cycles forming around the gates of hell, but dayum!! This has definitely led to a freeze over in hell..momentarily though!!

She needs to let this go, no one can deny that she is a great singer...let go..

Unless she is upset that she can't find Tina's and Beyonce's outfits nowhere near her size so she had to repeat dresses for two Award show events!!

Image Awards!
    NAACP Image Awards - Yahoo! News Photos
    Grammy Post Party!
    Grammy Awards Parties - Yahoo! News Photos
    I knew you'd get a kick out of that.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Oh no. Me too
    ssabmud

Though I don't disagree, I'm so fucking tired of this chick's annoying ass dad speaking for her. Just add incest and he'd be another Joe Simpson. Grow a pair of ovaries and quit letting your daddy do all the thinking for you, Beyonce.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    Though I don't disagree, I'm so fucking tired of this chick's annoying ass dad speaking for her. Just add incest and he'd be another Joe Simpson. Grow a pair of ovaries and quit letting your daddy do all the thinking for you, Beyonce.
    According to the article at the time of print he wasn't going to inform her of this craziness from Aretha. The fact that she didn't say anything in response to this makes her look like the bigger, more mature person!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

Quote Originally Posted by SSDiva View Post
    According to the article at the time of print he wasn't going to inform her of this craziness from Aretha. The fact that she didn't say anything in response to this makes her look like the bigger, more mature person!!
    Or it makes her look like a scared little girl that has to get her daddy to, once again, fight her battles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information