Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Drew: "You're as sick as your secrets"

Default Dr. Drew: "You're as sick as your secrets"

'You're as sick as your secrets'
    Media should start reporting on celebrity drug abuse, says host of `Celebrity Rehab'
    Feb 08, 2008 04:30 AM
    Lee-Anne Goodman
    the canadian press

Drug abuse in Hollywood is almost as old as the Hollywood Hills themselves, but the fondness celebrities have long had for cocaine, prescription painkillers and other dangerous substances goes largely unreported until someone ends up in rehab or dies of an overdose.

Dr. Drew Pinsky, the man behind the VH1 hit show Celebrity Rehab With Dr. Drew, says the media have a moral responsibility to start reporting on celebrity drug abuse in the wake of the shocking drug-related death of actor Heath Ledger and the drug-addled travails of pop star Britney Spears.
    "We have a saying in the addiction field: `You're as sick as your secrets,"' Pinsky said in an interview from Los Angeles yesterday.

"Secrets keep addicts ill and cost lives. Families that have addicted members learn to operate with secrecy. And Hollywood is operating, and the media with them, like a sick family. If this secrecy hadn't been maintained, Heath Ledger could be alive today."

Several celebrities, among them Kirsten Dunst, Amy Winehouse and Eva Mendes, have entered rehab in the wake of Ledger's demise, perhaps scared straight about where their proclivities could lead. And there are also signs that Ledger's death has forced news outlets to examine their past tendency to keep quiet about stars struggling with drug problems.

Elaine Lui, a correspondent on CTV's ETalk, wrote on her blog laineygossip.com that with Ledger's death and news of Dunst's troubles – People magazine reported yesterday that she's entered a Utah rehab facility – perhaps the media and publicists should be more open about drugs in Tinseltown.

Lui said the public would be shocked and scandalized to hear of the many A-list Hollywood stars, most of them household names, who have serious drug habits that go far beyond recreational use.

"You can report on almost anything about a celebrity – you can say she's a bitch or that he's a racist – but you cannot say they're gay or that they're a drug addict, because that affects their bottom line and their public image and that's when the lawyers start calling," Lui said.

"And it's far easier, from the public's perspective, to hate a journalist or believe a journalist is lying than it is to believe that the actor or actress who they worship is a drug addict. People just don't want to go there. But maybe it's time they should, because I personally feel being a racist is a lot worse than being a drug addict."

Elizabeth Snead, a blogger for the Los Angeles Times, wrote recently about once seeing actor Brad Renfro, who died last month of suspected substance-abuse causes, at an L.A. soirée.

"I watched a very under-the-influence Brad Renfro make quite a scene at a swanky Hollywood party several years ago. Not only did none of his celebrity friends, or the publicists throwing the bash, find his stumbling, slurring, falling down and bleeding nose unusual, but not one reporter covering the party reported it," she wrote. "I tried to. But it was edited out of my then-newspaper's party item."

Snead added that publicists are often among an addict's worst enablers, concocting stories for the media aimed at shielding what's truly ailing their clients. A case in point is Lindsay Lohan: before the 21-year-old actress's drug problems became well-known, she had been hospitalized for everything from supposed exhaustion, asthma attacks and appendicitis.

Pinsky, whose Celebrity Rehab begins airing in Canada soon, says Ledger's struggles with substance abuse were an open secret in Hollywood, as are the drug habits of many other stars.

"You should hear all the people talking to me about Heath Ledger, and yet I'm the only person shooting his mouth off out there about what everyone actually already knows," said Pinsky, a medical doctor who specializes in addiction.

"You can't imagine the heat I am taking from his people, who ought to be ashamed of themselves that they not only did that (kept Ledger's drug problems secret) in his life, but are now continuing the same posture after his death – it's crazy."

Pinsky said Hollywood drug abuse is widespread – much higher, in fact, than it is in the general population, because those attracted to acting and fame tend to be narcissists who often struggle with various mental health issues, and then have the means to procure a constant drug supply and keep it quiet when they lose control.

"They have all kinds of pathology," he said, citing a study he did on narcissism among Hollywood celebrities. "It's so obvious that this is a population that has a huge appetite for drugs. So their behaviour, their horrible relationships, their addiction is not caused by celebrity, but is allowed to spiral into a fatal illness because of their celebrity status."

TheStar.com | entertainment | `You're as sick as your secrets'

I really like Dr. Drew, 1,000 times better than that jackass Dr. Phil. And he has lovely muscled arms

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

That's a Veruca Salt song... which I totally love!

I like how Dr. Drew doesn't throw your problems in your face, and puts you down for them, like Señor Phil.

Gold Member

Wish they'd gotten to River Phoenix sooner, too.

dr drew is so cute
    theadventuresofmee.blogspot.com my beauty blog

Dr. Drew is awesome. I totally have the hots for him.

^I agree with all ya'll.

He's hot! Aaaand a good doctor from what I've seen!

The brain doesn't need blood. It just needs to be kept wet.

I'm probably the only one who doesn't find him attractive, lol.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Don't find him attractive but do find what he says very interesting.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Interesting but I don't know who he is or what he looks like.

i don't know that i agree. drugs are a private matter, i don't want a public campaign of naming and shaming and some neo-puritanical celeb-patrol out to expose bad behaviour, just like i don't believe in campaigns to force celebs out of the closet. not that being gay and being on drugs are similar, i'm just saying that because he says in the article that the 2 things you can't say about a celeb are that they're gay or on drugs.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i don't know that i agree. drugs are a private matter, i don't want a public campaign of naming and shaming and some neo-puritanical celeb-patrol out to expose bad behaviour, just like i don't believe in campaigns to force celebs out of the closet. not that being gay and being on drugs are similar, i'm just saying that because he says in the article that the 2 things you can't say about a celeb are that they're gay or on drugs.
    I think most of hollywood are on drugs because they ARE gay and can't deal with it.

My my, didn't we all just dip our tongues in some acid today.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    I agree. He almost seems to imply the social stigma would scare them into recovering, or act as a deterrent...and that's not the case. Addiction is a little more complicated than something one would give up to win a popularity contest.

Just look at all the every day addicts and how they pretty much ignore what their families, friends or society says about them....because they're addicts, Here in Greece, drug addiction is pretty much the equivalent of social leprosy, yet the numbers of people doing drugs only seem to go up.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Dr. Drew is sexy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information