Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Natalie Cole: Amy Winehouse's Grammy wins send a 'bad message'

Default Natalie Cole: Amy Winehouse's Grammy wins send a 'bad message'

Dr. Phil, move over. There's a new advocate for tough love on the circuit: Natalie Cole.

The multiple Grammy winner – her first win, in 1975, was for best new artist of the year – told PEOPLE at Sunday's Warner Music Group post-Grammy party that she took a dim view of Amy Winehouse's awards sweep at the Grammy ceremony earlier in the evening.

"I don't think she should have won. I think it sends a bad message to our young people who are trying to get into this business, the ones who are trying to do it right and really trying to keep themselves together," said Cole, 58. "We have to stop rewarding bad behavior."

Of Winehouse, 24, who is currently in rehab in England, Cole says: "I'm sorry. I think the girl is talented, gifted, but it's not right for her to be able to have her cake and eat it too. She needs to get herself together."

On the seriousness of Winehouse's troubles, Cole – who over the years has battled her own substance-abuse problems, successfully – observes, "I mean, she could die. This isn't something that's cute and fun just to throw around in the press. The girl really has a problem, and I think for those of us who have been in the business long enough, we know the sacrifice it takes. This is about discipline and hard work, and you don't get to just do your drugs and go onstage and get rewarded."

Performance 'Fine'

In all, Winehouse won five Grammys – including record of the year, song of the year and best new artist. She also rocked the crowd inside Los Angeles's Staples Center with a live-via-satellite rendition of "You Know I'm No Good" and "Rehab."

"Her performance was fine," surmised Cole. "I don't take anything away from her talent, but I just feel like she's stepping into a place that she hasn't earned yet."

As for whom Cole, whose new jazz CD will be out in August, would have lavished with Grammy gold, the singer replied, "Rihanna, even Beyoncé. "I just feel like they're ready to go the long haul. You can tell how hard they work, they're great people, their heart is in the right place. These are the people we should be praising, these are the people we should be encouraging."

She added, "And the others, we need to help them."

Natalie Cole: Amy's Wins Send a 'Bad Message' - Music News, Amy Winehouse, Natalie Cole : People.com

Somebody be jellussssss.......

Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar

I bet NC is actually worried about her. NC had drug problems in her past and would be afraid this is a validation that makes the rest "okay." I can see her point but the world isn't going to stop applauding AW because she is a coke head or whatever. I think her next record deal should be tied to passing drug tests or something. If someone would hold her accountable in that fashion, it might make a difference.
    Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?” George Carlin

Who?

Quote Originally Posted by sharon_b View Post
    "Her performance was fine," surmised Cole. "I don't take anything away from her talent, but I just feel like she's stepping into a place that she hasn't earned yet."
    How exactly has she not earned her awards? She wrote and performed her music herself and she is certainly the best out of all the new artists, so WTF is NC talking about exactly?
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

oh stfu you has-been moron. amy may be a junkie but she's got more talent in her little finger than rihanna and beyoncé put together.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Whatever, Natalie. When did you last have a hit, during the paleozoic era?
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

I think it's awfully sanctimonious for NC to get all holier-than-thou on Amy. Jealous much?
    Mischief. Mayhem. Tattoos. Soap.

who cares?

the grammy's have proved over and over again that they are totally irrelevant anyway
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

When NC won a Grammy she was a junkie herself...
    She more or less made a career using her dad,s name..she is nothing special.
    I would agree with her if it was a moral,s competition.
    She has no right to judge and should stfu..
    Its stupid to say fix your problems and THEN you win.
    That mentality gave paltrow an oscar.
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Oh, go sing "Unforgettable". AGAIN.

You were a MESS in the '70's. MAJOR coke-head. Stop throwing stones you glass house inhabitant.

Quote Originally Posted by effie2 View Post
    When NC won a Grammy she was a junkie herself...
    She more or less made a career using her dad,s name..she is nothing special.
    I would agree with her if it was a moral,s competition.
    She has no right to judge and should stfu..
    Its stupid to say fix your problems and THEN you win.
    That mentality gave paltrow an oscar.
    She totally did. I remember that duet of "Unforgettable" she did with her (dead) dad. The video had all footage of NKC and everything. Klassy.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

STFU Nat. If it weren't for drugs we wouldn't have such great music, art, literature, not to mention record breaking athletic achievements.

Some people go too far and pose a danger to themselves and others, true. But Amy being in rehab is a great example of how to overcome addicition, whether she makes it or not. Letting people know it's ok to ask for help, leading by example might help thousand of other people fight their demons....and win.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

The only thing I could think of was, why'd she say 'Rihanna, even Beyonce'? Shouldn't it be 'Beyonce, even Rihanna'? I don't really care for either, but I just thought that order was weird. But either example is kind of moronic; Beyonce already has 10 Grammys. Why or how you could give 5 Grammys to a record like 'Dangerously In Love' when you gave 5 Grammys to Lauryn Hill's 'The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill' is beyond me. I wouldn't consider Beyonce up to par with Lauryn or her album. Can you imagine anyone singing Beyonce songs in 20-30 years from now?.

doesn't she have some of her father's dead friends she could wring for a buck
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information