Thread: Kate Walsh: Pet dog led to marriage

Default Kate Walsh: Pet dog led to marriage

It was animal instinct that drew Kate Walsh to movie executive Alex Young with some help from her pet dog, Lucy.

"He met Lucy, and she immediately loved him, that's one of the tests when you meet a guy," says Walsh, who married Young on Sept. 1 only seven months after he met Walsh and Lucy, a golden-haired mix of Basenji and Jindo.

"He was like Dr. Dolittle, recalls Walsh, 40. "He was on the couch with her, and she was on him."

Walsh, formerly of Grey's Anatomy and now starring on The Practice, spoke to PEOPLE late last week at a temporary pet adoption center set up by Pedigree dog food inside a Times Square-area store, part of a nationwide effort to increase pet adoptions. (Some 4 million dogs go into shelters each year.)

"It's an issue that's near and dear to my heart, it's just heartbreaking," says Walsh. "I want to take all of them. I want to have a dog ranch. They're the best thing in the world, our best pals."

Another Addition

True to her word, Walsh sat with a sleepy brown and black puppy on her lap an adorable addition she ended up adopting after checking with her husband first, according to a rep from Pedigree.

Of her husband, Walsh says: "He loves dogs as much as I do. When I'm out of town he's usually spooning with Lucy."

Walsh adopted Lucy the Dog (her full, formal name) as a puppy from an L.A. shelter. "It was love at first sight," says the actress, who also revealed her nicknames for Lucy: Lu, Lulu, and Lou Diamond Phillips.

How's that again? "It's not a shout-out, it's not disrespectful to Lou Diamond Phillips," Walsh insists with a laugh. "I just like the sound of Lou Diamond Phillips."

Cats Love Lucy

Walsh also shares her 1920 Spanish home in L.A. with two 3-year-old cats, Billy and Pablo whom Lucy welcomed with open paws.

"She's great with cats," says Walsh, who grew up with adopted cats, dogs and a lizard. "They all sleep together like a pack. One of the cats is in love with Lucy. It's a little weird. He's like, 'I love you, Lucy,' and he purrs and kneads her."

If only the rest of the world behaved like that.

Kate Walsh: Pet Dog Led to Marriage - Good Deeds, Kate Walsh : People.com

"He was on the couch with her, and she was on him."

And I'm sure Kate wasn't far behind! LOL! As an animal lover, if my pets don;t like you, get steppin. The pic in my av is from her work last week with Pedigree.

Love ya, Kate!

Knowing she cares so much for animals makes me like her even more!
    No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world

There is something incredibly sexy about Kate Walsh.

I like her, especially since she cares about her animals. People who don't like animals always set off major alarm bells for me.
    "Facts are the enemy of truth."
    - Miguel Cervantes, "Don Quixote"

She is one sexy bitch, no doubt. But I have to admit I am semi troubled that she married someone so quickly. I don't give it a lot of hope sorry.

Thread Information