Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heartbreak for Keira Knightley and Julie Christie at the BAFTAs

Default Heartbreak for Keira Knightley and Julie Christie at the BAFTAs

British actresses were sensationally snubbed at the Baftas in favour of an unknown French starlet.

Julie Christie and Keira Knightley both lost out in the best actress category to Marion Cotillard, the 32-year-old star of La Vie En Rose about the life of the Parisian singer Edith Piaf.
    This is believed to be the first time a French actress has ever won best actress at the Baftas. Only Audrey Tautou had previously come close - when she was nominated for the comedy Amelie in 2002. Scroll down for more...
    Snubbed: British actresses Keira Knightley and Julie Christie (right) both lost out in the best actress category to Marion Cotillard

Read more...

Miss Christie, 66, had been bookies' favourite to win at the awards at the Royal Opera House, which are seen as Britain's Oscars. Miss Knightley, 22, was also hotely tipped for her part in wartime epic Atonement.
    But Miss Cotillard's shock victory now puts her in pole position to win a best actress Academy Award in two weeks' time when she will again be up against Miss Christie, who plays an Alzheimer's sufferer in Away From Her. Scroll down for more...
    Woman of the moment: Best Actress winner Cotillard with her trophy

Daniel Day Lewis (right) won the Best Actor award for his role in There Will Be Blood, Sir Anthony Hopkins with the Academy Fellowship award

At the recent Golden Globe awards, both Miss Cotillard and Miss Christie won best actress awards in separate film and musical categories.
    French-made film La Vie En Rose, named after one 40s singer Piaf's most famous hits, also became the big winner of the Baftas – the British Academy Film Awards – taking more awards than any other with four including those in the categories of music, costume design and make-up.
    Favourite Daniel Day-Lewis, 50, took best actor for playing an oil magnate in There Will Be Blood, beating James McAvoy and George Clooney. Scroll down for more...
    Actress Sienna Miller arrives at the Baftas in a sheer backless dress

Keira Knightley at the bash, although Knightley failed to win the Best Actress award, Atonement won for Best Film

Despite Atonement stars Knightley and McAvoy both coming away empty-handed, Tim Bevan's wartime epic did win best film.
    Atonement only picked up one other award – for production design – a disappointing statistic for the team who had picked up some 14 Bafta nominations.
    Despite being favourite to win best director, Atonement's Joe Wright also lost out to the Coen brothers who directed No Country for Old Men. Scroll down for more...
    Producer Mark Herbert (right) and Director Shane Meadows with the award for Best British Film for This Is England

Cuba Gooding Jnr presented Tilda Swinton with the Best Supporting Actress award for Michael Clayton

French star Marion Cotillard took home the Best Actress for her performance in La Vie En Roseaward while Javier Bardem (left) won Best Supporting Actor for No Country For Old Men

In the best supporting actor category, Spanish actor Javier Bardem won for his part in No Country for Old Men about drugs running in south America.
    The best supporting actress award was however taken by a Brit. Tilda Swinton, 47, won for her role in the legal drama Michael Clayton. She is also up for a best actress Oscar for the part.
    This Is England, Mark Herbert's gritty depiction of the life of small group of British neo-Nazis growing up in the Thatcher era, won best British film. Juno, a comedy about teenage pregnancy, triumphed in the best original screenplay category. Scroll down for more...
    British actress Thandie Newton (right) and Hollywood star Jessica Biel

Actresses Emily Blunt (left) and Rosamund Pike on the red carpet

Producers Paul Webster, Tim Bevan and Eric Fellner with director Joe Wright (second from right) take home the Best Film award for Atonement

The low-budget film , which is up for an Oscar, has been a surprise hit in the US where it has taken some £50 million and has made an overnight star of the 20-year-old Canadian actress Ellen Page who is also nominated for an Oscar.
    The Diving Bell and The Butterfly, the true story of Elle editor Jean-Dominique Bauby who suffers a stroke and can only use her left eye, won best adapted screenplay.
    Anthony Hopkins was awarded the Academy Fellowship and Barry Wilkinson was hailed for his outstanding contribution for British film. Scroll down for more...

GMTV presenter Jenni Falconer arrives at the ceremony (left), Myleene Klass reports from the Bafta red carpet at the Royal Opera House in London's Covent Garden

Ratatouille won best animated film, while The Lives of Others won best non-English language film. Awards for cinematography and editing were picked up by No Country for Old Men and Bourne Ultimatum respectively.
    The Golden Compass won an award for visual effects. Shia Labeouf - who starred in Transformers – won the Orange rising star awards which was last year won by James McAvoy.
    Overall the night will have been seen as a disappointing one for the British film industry with just eight British wins across the 21 categories. But it also reflects the growth of the Baftas as an international awards ceremony.
    The Baftas moved forwards in the calendar to take some of the Oscars' thunder back in 2001 and has been steadily growing in importance since.
    The awards were held at London's Royal Opera House for the second time.
    Stars flooded a red carpet which ran the length of one side of Covent Garden causing large parts of central London to come to a standstill.
    Apart from the nominees, on the red carpet came Kevin Spacey, Sir Ian McKellen, Ricky Gervais, Kate Hudson, Orlando Bloom and Tom Wilkinson.

Here is the full list of winners for this year's Orange British Academy Film Awards:
    Best Film - Atonement
    Best British Film - This Is England
    The Carl Foreman Award - Matt Greenhalgh (Control)
    Director - Joel and Ethan Coen (No Country For Old Men)
    Best Original Screenplay - Juno
    Best Adapted Screenplay - The Diving Bell And The Butterfly
    Film Not in the English Language - The Lives of Others
    Best Animated Film - Ratatouille
    Leading Actor - Daniel Day-Lewis (There Will Be Blood)
    Leading Actress - Marion Cotillard (La Vie En Rose)
    Supporting Actor - Javier Bardem (No Country For Old Men)
    Supporting Actress - Tilda Swinton (Michael Clayton)
    Music - La Vie En Rose
    Cinematography - No Country For Old Men
    Editing - The Bourne Ultimatum
    Production Design - Atonement
    Costume Design - La Vie En Rose
    Sound - The Bourne Ultimatum
    Special Visual Effects - The Golden Compass
    Make Up & Hair - La Vie En Rose
    Short Animation - The Pearce Sisters
    Short Film - Dog Altogether Orange Rising Star Award - Shia LaBeouf.

Heartbreak for Keira Knightley and Julie Christie as the Brits are snubbed at the BAFTAS | the Daily Mail

Bronze Member

Congrats to Marion! I didn't like La Vie en Rose, but there's no denying that Marion's performance deserves every award.

haven't seen la vie en rose but marion looks absolutely gorgeous here.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Personally I think Keira looks better than Sienna. I haven't seen La Vie en Rose but it sounds like Marion deserved the prize
    Who ordered a naked Swede?? MEEEEE!!

laurenshelton2 thinks I'm worse than Claymates.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    haven't seen la vie en rose but marion looks absolutely gorgeous here.
    Marion was good,a bit over dramatic but good as Edith Piaf.
    I ve seen both movies and Kiera was good too,I am glad Marion won.
    And i think Atonement is a better movie than la vie an rose..
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

BTW I wonder what happend to Samantha Morton? She looks quite "voluptuous" as they say.. I'm glad Tilda won - she's a great actress IMO.
    Who ordered a naked Swede?? MEEEEE!!

laurenshelton2 thinks I'm worse than Claymates.

Sienna looks good I have to admit.

I see Myleene has rejoined the realms of the Lollipop headed ladies...shame she looks much better a little bigger.

I think Jéssica Biel is beautiful with that hair color. She looks older though.

"Tão estranho carregar uma vida inteira no corpo, e ninguém suspeitar dos traumas, das quedas, dos medos, dos choros."
    Caio Fernando Abreu

Marion Cotillard has a beautiful smile.

Heartbreak my ass!

Marion was simply brilliant as The Môme, absolutely deserves any award she can get.
    I can't even put it on words, seriously, but I am so proud, happy ...god, so happy for my girl Marion.
    At last some recognition!

I would have been happy for Julie Christie as well, of course, what a lady & what a beautiful performace.

Kiera was horrible in Atonement. She kept speaking too fast and looked like a fish blowing bubbles every time she tried to say a line . Glad she didn't win but i was rooting for James McAvory to win.

I got to say, Emily Blunt, what a great body.

^^^
    agree. she looks amazing in that pic
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Keira is so ugly. Her career needs to end now.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information