Thread: Natalee Holloway case lawsuit proceeds against Dr. Phil

Elite Member

Default Natalee Holloway case lawsuit proceeds against Dr. Phil

Natalee Holloway Case Lawsuit Proceeds Against Dr. Phil

By Stephen M. Silverman
    Originally posted Wednesday February 06, 2008 08:55 AM EST

Photo by: Mark Savage / CorbisDr. Phil McGraw's troubles apparently haven’t ended with his clash with Britney Spears's family.

On Tuesday, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Edward A. Ferns ruled against dismissing a defamation suit against the TV psychologist, who is being sued by Surinamese brothers Deepak and Satish Kalpoe, the Associated Press reports. The two had been questioned in the case involving the May 2005 disappearance of Alabama teen Natalee Holloway on the Caribbean island of Aruba.

The brothers, who have claimed they had no involvement in Holloway's disappearance, sued in December 2006, claiming defamation, invasion of privacy, emotional distress, fraud, deceit and civil conspiracy. They allege the Dr. Phil show altered portions of a taped conversation between Deepak Kalpoe and a private investigator to "create false, incriminating, and defamatory statements that the plaintiffs engaged in criminal activity against Natalee Holloway."

According to their suit, the brothers also say the TV program inferred they assisted in killing Holloway and disposing of her remains.

In their dismissal motion, attorneys for CBS Television and McGraw argued that the Kalpoes' legal reps did not meet deadlines to produce requested documents concerning the criminal case probe against the brothers in Aruba.

New Case Development

The judge's decision came a day after ABC's 20/20 broadcast footage featuring a secretly recorded conversation with Joran Van der Sloot, who also has been questioned by Aruban authorities regarding Holloway.

In the secretly obtained footage, Van der Sloot said Holloway was drunk and that she began shaking and slumped down on the beach as they were kissing. He goes on to say in the tape that her body was dumped in the ocean and would never be found.

Joseph Tacopina, a lawyer for Van der Sloot, told ABC News that his client was not responsible for Holloway's death and his statements "are not a confession." On Friday, Van der Sloot insisted in a phone call to a Dutch television show that he was lying when he described the night Holloway disappeared.

Natalee Holloway Case Lawsuit Proceeds Against Dr. Phil - Crime & Courts, Phil McGraw, : People.com

I still think its really creepy what happened to this girl.

^^ Me, too. And you know they killed her or had something to do with it. Hard to believe that was almost 3 years ago and they've basically gotten away with murder.

I love watching crime stuff, forensic shows, murder mysteries. Perhaps GR could have a forum for it?

I'm not sure what I think about the brothers Kalpoe. They weren't mentioned in that tape, but I personally don't think they're 100% innocent, either.

So, on the one hand, I don't much like the idea of them getting any money from a defamation suit, but I do like the idea of Dr. Phil getting it up the keister.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

^^Crime Night on Discovery is excellent and I'm in for a Crime section here.

Now, as far as Dr. Blowhard goes, he is not a PI, a cop a detective or anything else. I saw that show and he was a bumbling idiot. Leave the detective work to the coppers and hurrah, this asshole continues his slide downwards.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I don't think those brothers had anything to do with her murder, though they may know something. Vander Poot probably bragged.... he's such an evil asshole.

He's a spoiled rotten rich kid with no conscience. He looks like a gigantic 8 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    Ooh. Will def have to check this out! I never knew they had a Crime Night!!!

Yeah I'm with you, Sweetness... he does look like a boy trapped in a tall body. And he is every bit the sociopath.

And Dr. Phil sucks balls. Big, salty ones.

Apparently, the Kalpoe brothers had nothing to do with it.
    The prime suspect used them for personal transportation
    since they had a "cool car", one of the reasons he "befriended"
    them 8 months before the disappearance.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Yes great idea.

Thread Information