Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I won't be leaving my children a penny, says Nigella Lawson

Default I won't be leaving my children a penny, says Nigella Lawson

As the daughter of a former Conservative chancellor, Nigella Lawson knows a thing or two about privileged upbringing.

But when it comes to raising her own children, the celebrity chef clearly believes in tough love.
    She shares an estimated wealth of more than £110million with her husband, the marketing guru Charles Saatchi, and has a £7million London home.
    However, Miss Lawson says she will leave none of it to her offspring.
    It is not a decision with which her husband agrees.

Mr Saatchi, 64, is adamant that the children should be allowed to inherit the couple's wealth - and the subject causes more than a little discord between them, according to Miss Lawson.
    Mr Saatchi has one daughter, 12-year-old Phoebe from his first marriage.

Miss Lawson, 48, has two children, 13-year-old daughter Cosima and son Bruno, 11, from her marriage to the late journalist John Diamond.
    Asked what she hoped the children would learn from her, Miss Lawson told the magazine My Weekly: "To know that I am working and that you have to work in order to earn money.
    "I am determined that my children should have no financial security. It ruins people not having to earn money.

"I argue with my husband Charles, because he believes that you should be able to leave money to your children.
    "I think we'll have to agree to disagree."
    Miss Lawson has not said what she would rather do with the couple's fortune, although she has worked closely with cancer charities after her mother, sister and first husband died of the disease. Scroll down for more...
    Doting mother: Nigella poses with son Bruno (right) Mimi Diamond (centre) and Mr Saatchi's daughter from a previous marriage, Phoebe (left)

The daughter of Nigel Lawson and Vanessa Salmon, a socialite and heiress to the Lyons Corner House empire, Miss Lawson married Mr Saatchi soon after her first husband died.
    She moved into his Belgravia mansion shortly afterwards.
    In 1998, she became a household name with the publication of her first cookery book How To Eat.
    At loggerheads: Nigella's husband Charles Saatchi disagrees with her view that their children should not receive a large inheritance

Since then she has sold more than three million books, including How To Be A Domestic Goddess.
    Her most recent cookery show, Nigella Express, drew up to 3.2million viewers an episode.
    However, while other celebrity chefs such as Gordon Ramsay and Jamie Oliver learned their trade in restaurant kitchens, Miss Lawson took a more glamorous route.
    She attended Oxford University, although, by her own admission-she failed at school, and was made a deputy editor at the Sunday Times newspaper at 26.
    She then became a freelance writer and food critic.
    She is no stranger to the luxury lifestyle. She favours Vivienne Westwood dresses, Taittinger champagne and celebrity beauticians.
    In 1995, Miss Lawson was sacked from presenting a show on Talk Radio for being at odds with the show's "common touch" after revealing she employed people to do her shopping.

Mr Saatchi is one of the country's richest men. He and his brother Maurice set up their first advertising company in 1976, then set up the marketing company, M&C Saatchi in 1995.
    It is believed that Charles is worth at least £100million. The brothers are said to be worth £231million, according to the Sunday Times Rich List, which includes Charles's multi-million pound modern art collection. Miss Lawson is thought to be worth about £15million.

I won't be leaving my children a penny, says Nigella Lawson | the Daily Mail

Can't there be some happy medium?
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Maybe they should go the route of Warren Buffet.
    "I want to give my kids just enough so that they would feel that they could do anything, but not so much that they would feel like doing nothing"

^^That's the best attitude, I think. Very wise. Nothing worse than self-entitled, lazy, useless children of the wealthy. I'm all for encouraging them to do something worthwhile with their lives.

She sounds bitter that she had to work for her money.

Whadda cunt
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

A*O

Well if the normal course of events applies then those kids will be near retirement age before they inherit anything from mommy dearest so they will have to earn enough to live on in the meantime anyway.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Zee

I understand her point of view. Look at Paris and all of the other entitled heirs and heiresses. She is trying to prevent her children from becoming the next generation of parasites.

Makes sense to me. Grew up with very wealthy families that either gave trust to children at certain age or matched dollars of earnings.

Guess which batch turned out to be better people?
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

I don't think so. She loves what she does and she is very good at it.

I will admit that I am the proud owner of all her cookbooks and I love every single one.

Bitch should make her will leaving ME everything..and then get hit by a truck!

I do not envy these people their power, status, or position..but damn I would take their money!!!

*And I really do not think she is a cunt..hell I do not even know who she is!

A*O

I've told my mother that I expect her to die a pauper and she seems to be following that advice LOL. Hell, it's her money so she deserves to spend every penny of it having fun while she's still fit and healthy enough to enjoy it. I certainly don't expect a cent of it.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by nancydrew View Post
    Have you met any of the aforementioned useless children of the wealthy? They're horrible! I don't blame her for wanting to ensure her children didn't turn out like that. Of course not everyone who is from a privileged background does, but it really does set the stage for it.

Besides, if her husband disagrees so much with it, I'd think he'd take care of the kids somehow. I doubt those kids will want for a basic comfortable lifestyle.

^Well said. Also all you have to do is look around and see that majority of these
    rich kids have no clue what it means to work hard for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I've told my mother that I expect her to die a pauper and she seems to be following that advice LOL. Hell, it's her money so she deserves to spend every penny of it having fun while she's still fit and healthy enough to enjoy it. I certainly don't expect a cent of it.
    That is what I tell mine too..take those cruises..spend that money.

(they like to give to the church though..so it is their money right? )

Well yeah I agree that spoiled trustfund children are the farthest thing from what I want my children to turn out to be, and Im sure thats her intentions, but really there is a way around that. To not leave them a single dime is just hateful. I still say she seems bitter.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information