Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jessica Seinfeld sued for plagiarism

Default Jessica Seinfeld sued for plagiarism

Jessica Seinfeld Sued for Plagiarism in Cookbook Controversy
    Monday January 7, 2008

Eugene Gologursky/WireImage.com
    The author of a cookbook similar to Jessica Seinfeld's bestselling "Deceptively Delicious" has filed a federal lawsuit against Seinfeld and her comedian-husband.
    According to documents obtained by The Smoking Gun, Missy Chase Lapine claims that Jessica's recipes "brazenly plagiarized" from her 2007 cookbook titled "The Sneaky Chef."
    In the lawsuit, Lapine accuses Jerry Seinfeld of launching a "malicious, premeditated, and knowingly false and defamatory attack" on her after media reports noted similarities between the two books, which present recipes for getting kids to eat healthy food.
    Lapine says in her complaint that earlier this year Seinfeld went on The Late Show With David Letterman and compared Lapine to the kind of "wackos" that had once stalked Letterman, adding that Lapine was a "three-name woman." Seinfeld joked, "If you read history, many of the three-name people do become assassins."
    In the complaint, Lapine also accuses Seinfeld of calling Lapine a "nut job" in another TV interview.

USmagazine.com
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

Good! She blatantly ripped off that woman's book. I hate Jerry and Jessica anyway, so yeah good.

this has been a long time coming, i'm glad!
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

The problem with something like this is that there are very few truly original recipes anymore ... people borrow from what's out there and change it to make something "new". With recipes, ingredient lists cannot be copyrighted, only the instructions can. So if you rework the instructions, technically you aren't plagiarizing. Most folks who write cookbooks, however, often acknowledge where they got their ideas from. It's a courtesy.

With regards to this Missy person, sneaking fruits, veggies, and other healthy things into kids' meals is not new. Parents have been doing it forever. She didn't invent the concept.

It's even more than recipes though. She stole the whole premise which was to create recipes that sneak vegetables and such into food. So that kids would enjoy eating it, without realizing the ingredients were actually good for them. I agree it's not a new concept, but I don't think there's ever been a book on it. So it really was pretty brazen of Sklar to write it. Even the titles are are somewhat similar: "Deceptively Delicious" and "The Sneaky Chef". I guess she though she had Jerry's money behind her and wouldn't get in trouble. I never thought much of her since I read that she dumped her brand new husband after she met Jerry at the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by bellini View Post
    It's even more than recipes though. She stole the whole premise which was to create recipes that sneak vegetables and such into food. So that kids would enjoy eating it, without realizing the ingredients were actually good for them.
    The other author doesn't have exclusive rights to that topic though. Anyone can do a book like that, if they want to. It isn't stealing. If that were the case, there would only be one author writing bread cookbooks, vegetarian cookbooks, grilling cookbooks, etc. Maybe it's unfortunate that they came out at the same time, but stuff happens.

I'm willing to bet that the only reason this woman is doing this is because Sklar is married to Jerry Got-Buckets-O'-Money Seinfeld.

Whatever the case, Jerry behave like a douche calling the other woman names on Letterman. Pretty tacky. Personally I think Sklar ripped her off. But YMMV.

there was a weird recipe, like putting spinach in brownie's...has anyone ever heard of that? that was one of the eerily similar recipes..i saw jerry on letterman and thought he was a little harsh too

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

Neither Jessica Seinfeld or this Lupine woman invented this way of blending vegetables with food. It's been going on for awhile now. However, I am glad that she's suing the hell out of Jerry Seinfeld. He was being malicious, and trying to ruin her rep. He has a lot of power, and he abused it. I hope she wipes him out big time.

Gold Member

Are they just lawsuit magnets? It wasn't too long ago that they were sued by a real estate agent who claimed breach of contract. Jerry is really an arrogant SOB. Didn't realize this until reading an interview about him in the NY Times about six months ago in which a fan walked up to him and asked him for an autograph. Seinfeld told the fan, "sure" then just kept right on walking and in front of a reporter no less! I really hope this plaintiff wins if the suit has merit. These two divas could use a good dose of their own yadayadayada. I'm sure that having power/money makes famous people a target but arrogance is often the only sword they end up falling upon.

Law.com - Comedian Seinfeld Ordered to Pay Real Estate Broker Fee

Once a cheater, always a cheater.

Elite Member

Seriously, take those two posers to the bank!

Hahaha... that's what she gets for thinking she could be anything more than a rich douche's wife.

HAHAHA I wondered how long that would take.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

When I first read about this I thought no way could she have ripped off the idea when the books came out within a few months of each other. Then I heard that the woman had submitted a manuscript to the same publisher (which was rejected) prior to Seinfeld's book...so hmmm I guess it's possible.

In any case Jerry should have kept his big fat mouth shut. His wife had the Seinfeld name and the big Oprah endorsement so I'm sure she sold plenty of books. Calling the other woman a nutjob stalker was totally uncalled for.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information