Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Update: Britney Spears 'under influence of drugs', taken to 72-hour mental lockdown

Default Update: Britney Spears 'under influence of drugs', taken to 72-hour mental lockdown

Britney on 72-Hour Mental Lockdown

Britney Spears was placed on lock down for a mental evaluation Friday after the pop star locked herself in a room with one of her children at her L.A. home and refused to hand him over to ex-husband Kevin Federline.

A source tells PEOPLE the pop star's court-appointed child monitor called police. "She had already put Preston in the car when Britney locked herself in a room with Jayden," says the source. "The cops came and got through the door and tied her down to a gurney."

Spears, who according to police appeared to be "under the influence of an unknown substance," was rushed to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, where the source says she will be on a minimum of a 72-hour lock down for mental evaluation.

Spears, who has visitation rights with her two sons Preston, 2, and Jayden, 1, was scheduled to give the boys over to Federline at 7 p.m. Thursday.

According to police, officers responded around 8 p.m. to a call "about a custodial dispute regarding Britney Spears's children," says Los Angeles police Officer Jason Lee.

Nearly three hours later, police determined that a court order stated that the singer's children, who were with Spears at the time, were supposed to be with Federline, and a transfer was arranged, according to Lee.

"While officers were on the scene, they observed Ms. Spears under the influence of an unknown substance," Lee added.

LAPD called the incident an "ongoing investigation" and says, "for her own welfare, [Spears] was taken to the local hospital for treatment."

Preston was taken to the hospital by Federline's assistant, and Jayden was in the ambulance with the monitor, a source says, adding that the boys "won't be back with [Spears] for a long time." Federline took his sons home early Friday morning. Spears's father Jaime remains at the hospital.

Meanwhile, Federline's lawyer, Mark Vincent Kaplan, is due in court at 8:30 a.m. to attempt to strip Spears of her visitation rights. Attorney Tara Scott from the law firm of Trope and Trope will represent Spears even though the firm has asked to withdraw as counsel.

People.com : The #1 Celebrity Site on the Web

so what happens at a 72-Hour Mental Lockdown???

^ Nothing.
    My mom was there in May. They just let you wander the halls, talk on the phone and have visitors twice a day.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

They give you alot of meds... thorazine!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    ^ Nothing.
    My mom was there in May. They just let you wander the halls, talk on the phone and have visitors twice a day.
    ^^^errr....so whats the point of it exactly???

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    They give you alot of meds... thorazine!!!!!!!!
    They wouldn't give my mom anything. My understanding was, if you are an addict or overdosed they put you through detox and won't give you anything. They will strap you down or shock your brain if the need be but meds are out of the question.
    May be different in other parts of the world though.

Starbucks & Cheetos will be brought in in massive amounts.

Huh... I went to a private hospital and there were people that had been transferred after overdosing and there were detox people that were given medication for their detox... one nurse kept asking me if I was having DT's and offering pills for it and I was like "no, I'm just really depressed and haven't slept for years..." The other floor had the electric shock patients so I don't know much about them. I do know that if you went apeshit the orderlies would restrain the patient and give them something to calm them down. I had a friend check into this same place for a cocaine all around drug problem and he was demanding "good stuff" which of course they did not give him.

I guess it depends on where you are. Here, you are evaluated and if you are found to be under the influence, you are kept until you detox. If you are having a mental problem and are a danger to yourself or others, you are handed to the state, who signs you in for treatment. If you have mental issues, but are not a danger, you are given free mental healthcare.

I checked myself in... I was completely aware I had lost my shit so my experience was a little different.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    Huh... I went to a private hospital and there were people that had been transferred after overdosing and there were detox people that were given medication for their detox... one nurse kept asking me if I was having DT's and offering pills for it and I was like "no, I'm just really depressed and haven't slept for years..." The other floor had the electric shock patients so I don't know much about them. I do know that if you went apeshit the orderlies would restrain the patient and give them something to calm them down. I had a friend check into this same place for a cocaine all around drug problem and he was demanding "good stuff" which of course they did not give him.
    I see.
    I guess mom was different because she was forced in there. She was a pill popper and tried to kill herself with an overdose. That must be the difference.

Elite Member

At least the kids are safe - It's better that she is out of their life for now. Don't know why I'm shocked, you could see it coming, still, it was shocking watching it happen so publicly - wow.

^^No wonder I have heard about people dying going through detox.

You know when I think about it; my mother was sent to the psych ward in 92 and she was drug addict and had been locked in her closet for a couple of days with a gun and I don't think they gave her anything... they couldn't really force her to take a prescription.

so what happens at a 72-Hour Mental Lockdown???
    In California, the 72-hour hold is called a "5150". It's an involuntary hold designated by police officers and mental health professionals. Basically during this time the patient is stripped searched (I'd probably triple glove for that one), screened for drugs, given full physical and mental health assessments. The thing is, Britney doesn't even have to be locked up for the entirety. If the psychiatrist and mental health team conclude that she's sane and not a danger to herself or others, then she could be set free prior to the full 72 hours.

But, if Britney is found to be in essence crazy, then they can do an involuntary 14-day hold for her to get further treatment. To me, that's going to be the real, juicy story. But I suspect her management, or what's left of it, will try to do damage control by having Britney voluntarily check into a psych hospital as a willing patient. 'Cause that 14-day hold means you're really crazy, at least here in California.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information