Thread: Toby Keith and family win wrongful death suit

Default Toby Keith and family win wrongful death suit

Toby Keith, his mother and his siblings have been awarded $2.8 million in damages in the 2001 collision that killed the country music star's father.

A jury returned the verdict against Elias Rodriguez and Pedro Rodriguez, operators of Rodriguez Transportes of Tulsa, and the Republic Western Insurance Co.

According to evidence presented at trial, a charter bus owned by the Rodriguezes was "in urgent need" of brake repairs before H.K. Covel was killed in the March 2001 accident on Interstate 35, said attorney Greg Dixon, who represented Keith's family. The Rodriguezes had been advised of the brake problem before Covel's truck crossed the center median and struck the bus, he said.

The family initially suspected Covel suffered a medical condition that caused the truck to veer out of control. It later learned another vehicle had bumped the truck and filed a wrongful death lawsuit to clear Covel's name, Dixon said.

The verdict was returned last week. "The jury found no fault on the part of Mr. Covel in the wreck that claimed his life," Dixon said.

The plaintiffs, wife Carolyn Covel, daughter Tonni Covel and sons Toby Keith Covel and Tracey Covel, alleged that H.K. Covel would not have died if the bus had been equipped with properly working air brakes.

Keith, family win wrongful death suit - Yahoo! News

You know, I think this is just simply silly. While the accident wasn't Covels fault per se, neither was it really the bus's fault. I would have marked this up as a "no fault" accident and sent everyone on their way. If anyone was responsible though, it would have been the car that initially struck Covel forcing him to cross the median. Another example of why our litigious system is over burdened.

i'm glad its finally over and done with for them. Toby really loved his dad.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I think his music videos are hilarious... I just think the whole Bush thing made me like him a helluva lot less.

Too bad for his dad, though. Now he has 2.8 mil though. *shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by Str8_uncut-jock View Post
    You know, I think this is just simply silly. While the accident wasn't Covels fault per se, neither was it really the bus's fault. I would have marked this up as a "no fault" accident and sent everyone on their way. If anyone was responsible though, it would have been the car that initially struck Covel forcing him to cross the median. Another example of why our litigious system is over burdened.
    Exactly. The other car was more at fault than the bus. But in the eyes of the law, I can see why they blamed the bus, because of the faulty brakes. I mean the DMV will fail your vehicle for faulty brakes, and since the guy knew his brakes needed to be repaired, prior to the accident, then that's why he's being held liable.

But I'm glad Toby and his family finally got this mess resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Str8_uncut-jock View Post

I've never even heard of the guy or the accident but I do know that not all states have no fault insurance nor do I believe it's that cut and dry when there is a death involved even if there is no fault insurance.

Any lawyers on here that can clarify the details?
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

I'm just saying that if I was the bus driver or the company I would have sued the Covel family for causing the accident, at the very least, I would have sued the other driver who initially struck Covel forcing him to cross the median. Seriously, the bus was just driving along minding it's own business. From the bus drivers perspective, some guy crossed the median and struck the bus. The brakes would have never been tested if Covel didnt strike the bus after crossing the median. I'm just saying they should be glad I wasn't on the jury for this one.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

Even if the bus had properly working brakes, it probably still would have struck his car, and he would have died. I hope the car that struck his initially was fined, because they are the ones that caused the accident. I hope TK puts the money to good use.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkly View Post
    Even if the bus had properly working brakes, it probably still would have struck his car, and he would have died. I hope the car that struck his initially was fined, because they are the ones that caused the accident. I hope TK puts the money to good use.
    No doubt the bus would have still hit the car, working brakes or not. But since the owner of the bus company knew the brakes were faulty beforehand the law is going to hold him at fault by using the arguement that if the brakes were working the bus could've had a better chance of stopping. It's stupid, but that's the American justice system.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

^You have a valid point. I just hope that he does something to honor his father's memory with the money he was awarded. Actually, most of it probably went to his lawyers.

Litigious society strikes again! God bless it!

Quote Originally Posted by sparkly View Post
    ^You have a valid point. I just hope that he does something to honor his father's memory with the money he was awarded. Actually, most of it probably went to his lawyers.
    Unless he gives the money to his mother, he should donate it to charity. Not like he needs it.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Unless he gives the money to his mother, he should donate it to charity. Not like he needs it.
    Precisely. This verdict will undoubtedly destroy the business owners who owned the truck. Toby has no need for the money personally, although I appreciate his desire to seek justice for the perceived negligent behavior that contributed to his father's death.

Thread Information