Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rupert Everett: 'Sexuality has hindered my career'

Default Rupert Everett: 'Sexuality has hindered my career'

Rupert Everett believes that his homosexuality has prevented him from becoming a major Hollywood star.

The 48-year-old is convinced that he is just as good an actor as Hugh Grant and would be as successful as him if he were not gay.

He said: "It's not ideal to be homosexual in my business. For instance, I'm every bit as good as Hugh Grant, and I can do the same sort of thing, but look at the roles he gets.

"He's always working, and I work hardly ever."

Showbiz - News - Everett: 'Sexuality has hindered my career' - Digital Spy

He's got a point. He does tend to be play almost exclusively gay characters. Or leading man in Oscar Wilde adaptations...which is basically the same thing.

yeah its true sad to say. but i love him, i think he's an awesome actor
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

A*O

I'm afraid he has a point. Hollywood is still a very homophobic town and openly gay actors face major discrimination and/or typecasting. That's why so many of them prefer to stay in the closet and it's a damn shame they have to live the lie (despite the fact we've usually guessed the truth). I admire Rupert for being honest about his sexuality but I'm sure it's cost him some big roles and the hypocrisy of it all just makes me mad.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Agree with everybody's posts. I think it is true overall in a way except in a certain few professions.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar

Rupert Everette is a great actor and probably has more of a range than Hugh Grant ever thought about having (and I love HG). Hollywood is in a country where homophobia and discrimination are legislated.

To boot, he isn't aging well either.

He is right,of course. He is really good and could play anything well. As he grows older, maybe he will get better parts.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar

Yeah, I can see him doing the older distinguished man part.

Yes, its true. And yet people are very quick to blast gay actors who don't want to come out....If they ALL came out once, all of Hollywood would have to deal with it. But once you are singled out in today's Hollywood, the career is pretty much toast. The majority of our country is still uncomfortable with gays. . Its getting a little better. But Hollywood is still extremely homophobic. Its what has kept me from becomming the next bond girl......

And here I thought it was that horrid movie he did with Madonna that fucked up his career...

My my, didn't we all just dip our tongues in some acid today.

I do not think he is aging that badly. He is getting a little more 'rugged' looking..but I think (if he stays away from the freakin' PS and botoxication route) he may end up more like a Sean Connery or Tom Selleck(aged well) than a Jack Nicholson or Robert Redford(did NOT age too well). He is 50 or so isn't he? He cannot expect to look like a 30 year old. Also as he gets older the parts are not so much 'leading man' shit anymore. He is talented and I wish him well..I just hope he does not get too caught up in the 'aging' and 'Gay and out in Hollyweird' thing and ruin himself with PS or self-destruct.

*Crackho you know you just envy Patsy Stone..and you could nevah have been a Bond girl..the most you could have been was in one of the "Emmanuelle' movies! :lol;
    Last edited by Sojiita; December 8th, 2007 at 09:55 AM.

^^ I was targeted to be the next IT girl, sweetie, I was. Yes Rupert is no spring chicken. But you know, I can't say I really really blame Hollywood 100%. Its a sad fact, but the average Joe has this thing about gay men, particularly famous ones. Once its known that they bat for the home team, its really hard for many heterosexuals to look at them without seeing them on all fours with a dick up their ass or on their knees sucking cock. Its just the way it is. People wanna be all up in the homo's business about what they do and all; its just curiosity, but it does have an affect on how one is viewed by the masses.

That is just because heterosexuals are fucked up. I don't look at straight male movie stars with an inability to see them in any other way than dicking some slutty chick or having a bowl of pussy for breakfast! The viewing public just needs therapy.

*'It' girl? puh-leeze! You might have made it as one of the sluts in the early Rick James videos but that would be about it darl!

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    That is just because heterosexuals are fucked up. I don't look at straight male movie stars with an inability to see them in any other way than dicking some slutty chick or having a bowl of pussy for breakfast! The viewing public just needs therapy.

*'It' girl? puh-leeze! You might have made it as one of the sluts in the early Rick James videos but that would be about it darl!
    Uh, I WAS one of those sluts in the early Rick James videos. Or at least I thought I was. Soj, I hate to break it to ya, but its not just the viewing public. Your family, your straight friends, your coworkers....they all spend a great deal of time up in their heads with images of you doing the nasty with all the girly boys in town. What can I say? People are obsessed with hot man on man action.

Quote Originally Posted by crackho View Post
    Uh, I WAS one of those sluts in the early Rick James videos. Or at least I thought I was. Soj, I hate to break it to ya, but its not just the viewing public. Your family, your straight friends, your coworkers....they all spend a great deal of time up in their heads with images of you doing the nasty with all the girly boys in town. What can I say? People are obsessed with hot man on man action.
    Why are heteros just so obsessed with gay sex. Wtf is wrong with them. They all need therapy!!!

*If anyone is picturing me doing anything with anyone I hope it is at least with Colin and not some methed-out twink or, Gawd forbid, a Liberace clone!

*I bet you wanted to be the Asian chick in the "Superfreak' video..she has that one shot where she does that thing with her arms and then does that *fabulous* 'hairtoss'!!

I love Rupert. I think he's a great actor, has a gorgeous voice and is so handsome. I think women really like him and he could be a leading man if they would just give him the role.

Soj and Crackho, you two are killing me this morning!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information