Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wayne Newton rips Johnny Carson - CNN.com video

Hit By Ban Bus!

Talking Wayne Newton rips Johnny Carson - CNN.com video

Whoa, I love this. Wayne Newton shows major balls and disses Johnny and the Mafia but good! (apparently with good reason)

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com - Wayne Newton on Larry King Live

Elite Member

Wayne's had a few health issues recently and isn't getting any younger. I'm assuming he had these feelings regarding Johnny bottled up for a long time. He probably doesn't want to go to his grave with people thinking things between Johnny and him were great or that he was ever 'gay'. Yeah, it's messed up Johnny's dead, but it shows a bit of class on Wayne's part that he didn't try to slander Johnny during his career and held in his anger for years. Johnny was notorious for being a jerk in real life. I've heard how disliked he was around Malibu and wasn't really friendly at all. Once he left that NBC studios in Burbank, he 'turned off' that tv personality and didn't want to be bothered.

Here's the article regarding Wayne's statements in case anyone wants to read it.

Wayne Newton: Johnny Carson ‘mean-spirited’ - Access Hollywood - MSNBC.com

God, looks like he escaped from the House of Wax. But yeah, it's one of
    the very few times when one (considered by some) "icon" tears down
    another "icon". Usually you hear nothing but ".... he was a saint....
    he was the best friend a man could have ...... he was a great guy....".
    Kinda refreshing, and not done in a crude way.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Hit By Ban Bus!

^True. Done in a very forceful but tasteful way IMO.

Elite Member

I went to Wayne Newton's show at the Stardust Castino in Las Vegas back in 2003. I didn't want to go but my boyfriend at the time bought the tickets so off we went. We got seats right near the stage and we really enjoyed it. There was a part of the show where Wayne grabbed someone from the audience and who do you think he grabbed? ME!! Yep, I was up there. I don't know if it's part of the show but he grabbed my hand, sat me on a chair, sang to me and then we did a little dance. The audience applauded and I wanted to die (honest to God truth). Afterwards, Wayne sent our table a bottle of champagne for me and my boyfriend for being such good sports. I was so shocked. Afterwards, Wayne came by to sign it for us. He sent 3 or 4 tables champagne that night to specific couples. He was the kindest man, ever. I regret not having a camera on me, but they didn't allow any sort of recording devices in the theater. During the show, he interacts with the audience a lot, walking through the audience while singing, shaking hands, kissing the women on their cheeks, etc...he was very gracious. I'm sure much more gracious than Johnny ever was to strangers in real life...lol

^^^ Wayne puts on a great show, i've seen him so many times, hub says i'm a stalker. i made hub go once and he complained UNTIL Wayne came thru the audience and shook everyones hand. He sent a bottle of champagne to a few peeps tables, including ours because it was peoples birthday. i had heard how he felt about Johnny Carson, so good for him for speaking up!
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Hit By Ban Bus!

That's a great story, PrettyGirl. It reinforces my feeling that the way he handled talking about the issue with Larry King was very good. Told the truth in the strongest, most diplomatic way possible given the subject matter. He must be feeling pretty safe in light of the way he talked about the mob toward the end of the video

Well, he's either gay or in the Mafia, but he can't be both..... That organization does not accept "don't ask, don't tell."

I'm a Carson fan, so I'll shut up before Wayne spits Botox at me....

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by msdebagain View Post
    ^^^ Wayne puts on a great show, i've seen him so many times, hub says i'm a stalker. i made hub go once and he complained UNTIL Wayne came thru the audience and shook everyones hand. He sent a bottle of champagne to a few peeps tables, including ours because it was peoples birthday. i had heard how he felt about Johnny Carson, so good for him for speaking up!
    Oh, I'm glad to know others have been to his show and have seen firsthand how he pulls people onstage, sends them champagne and does take the time to walk through the audience to say hello and shake hands. You don't see Celine Dion or Elton John do that in their Vegas shows. Lots of entertainers don't bother.

Wayne's a classy guy. I don't think he's making this up. I'm sure he was upset with Johnny before he died and felt it was time to set the record straight.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by cynic View Post
    Well, he's either gay or in the Mafia, but he can't be both..... That organization does not accept "don't ask, don't tell."
    I was thinking about that and I think it's possible he is gay - not that it matters one way or the other. The incident he speaks of took place during a time when you just didn't come out, because being publicly gay could ruin your career. As for the Las Vegas mob, my impression is that no headliner there does not have some kind of deal (willing or not) with the mob.

Does he have girlfriends or a wife? I never followed him much because I can't stand his singing or his face (even before he began playing with it). I guess I assumed he was gay BECAUSE he spends so much time kissing women in his audience.

But I have no gay radar, and I've been known to be wrong most of the time....

he's married, he's been divorced has a daughter. besides kissing women in the audience, he shakes hands with all of the men.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Hit By Ban Bus!

I think he mentioned a wife the other night on LKL, I had it on in the background so I didn't really catch it.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    Usually you hear nothing but ".... he was a saint....
    he was the best friend a man could have ...... he was a great guy....".
    That's the prevailing attitude towards people like Frank Sinatra, Kirk
    Douglas, et al --tremendous scumbags in their day-- and it's all glossed over. I don't think Carson was nearly as bad as the aforementioned, but he was held to a higher standard because he made his living by being ingratiating. If I had to be "on" for
    30-40 years, I'd be grouchy in my old age too.
    At least he didn't rape Natalie Wood.

Hit By Ban Bus!

OT: Are you referring to the Christopher Walken being a guest on the boat incident?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information