Thread: Whoopi Goldberg hits out at Presidential candidate for backing out of 'The View'

Default Whoopi Goldberg hits out at Presidential candidate for backing out of 'The View'

John Edwards and Barack Obama’s wife, Michelle were stunned when Whoopi Goldberg lashed out at them for boycotting her talk show, The View.

The pair claimed allegiance to the striking members of the Writer’s Guild Of America, and backed out of appearing on Monday’s (26Nov07) edition of the topical show.

But Goldberg is angry at the suggestion she and co-hosts Barbara Walters, Joy Behar and Sherri Shephard aren't supporting the strike.

She told the TV audience, “It could have been handled differently. Because what they said made it look like we don't care. We support the writers strike.”
    FemaleFirst.co.uk
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I love Whoopie.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

She always speaks her mind.

They still have "Viewers?"

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

how stupid. good for Whoopie. These idiots forget taht a LOT of the audience members of the View, Ellen, and even Oprah plan their lives around the tickets that they get to these shows. it affects them when these people cancel their shows. so John Edwards, and Mizz Obama woman, kiss my ass. you may support the strikers, and thats fine, but you forget who it is that does the voting. its not JUST the strikers. dumbshits.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Hit By Ban Bus!

I'm kinda glad they boycotted ... imho if EVERYONE - Ellen, Regis/Kel, Oprah, even Drew - supported the writers and refused to work this thing would've been settled by now.

^ and sorry to hear u had tickets to that show!

The pair claimed allegiance to the striking members of the Writer’s Guild Of America, and backed out of appearing on Monday’s (26Nov07) edition of the topical show.
    I happened to be watching when Whoopi was speaking about this; her point was that The View does not use writers. Any comments made by them are unscripted, and the questions they ask during interviews are not scripted either. Therefore, they are not crossing any picket lines in continuing to do their show, but the cancellations by Michelle Obama and John Edwards made it seem that they are not supporting the writers strike. Barbara Walters was quick to point out, though, that as a news person, she did not have a personal opinion on the matter.

What's this? Politicians making rash decisions without having all of the facts? Surely you're joking?

These writers could have worked without a contract. Alot of unions do this so it doesn't disrupt the public. The writers are making a point that they want more money and they are not going to settle until they get exactly what they want. If they are replacable some of them might find them out of job if they don't settle soon. I don't think people should be berated if they don't always support the union cause.

John Edwards and Barack Obama’s wife, Michelle were stunned when Whoopi Goldberg lashed out at them for boycotting her talk show, The View.
    Why the hell should they be stunned that Whoopi ripped them a new one? I would've ripped them too if they left me in a lurch at the last minute.

They were probably booked on this show weeks ago, and they pick the last minute to back out to supposedly support the writers. If they were really supporting the writers, then they wouldn't have agreed to be on the show in the first place. This stunt is all just for show and some free press, and it backfired on them. Get 'em Whoopi.

Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar

Damn them. Now who is gonna explain that whole world roundness business to Sheri Shepard?

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    I happened to be watching when Whoopi was speaking about this; her point was that The View does not use writers. Therefore, they are not crossing any picket lines in continuing to do their show, but the cancellations made it seem that they are not supporting the writers strike.
    The view uses writers they just call them Asooc. Producers like alot of those types of morn. shows - but thats beside the pt. - I think if they really supported the writers they wouldn't work.

That said, they aren't crossing any picket/strike lines or going against the Union .... they just aren't helping.

Quote Originally Posted by snuffy View Post
    The view uses writers they just call them Asooc. Producers like alot of those types of morn. shows - but thats beside the pt. - I think if they really supported the writers they wouldn't work.
    That said, they aren't crossing any picket/strike lines or going against the Union .... they just aren't helping.
    So, if I call in sick tomorrow, it's because I'm supporting the writers strike, OK?

The View is an embarassment. If a candidate is pro-union, it shouldn't be surprising that they back out (did she reschedule or just flat out cancel?) if there is a writers' strike, even if the ladies are making do without the writers. Even though it's a chat show, there are writers involved.

Unions and strikes aside, I can't imagine why Mrs. Obama would want to appear on the same stage and make small talk with Sherri "my tits are round, but the world is flat" Sheppard. What on earth (no pun intended) would they have to talk about that wouldn't come off like a school teacher talking to a kindergartener?

Quote Originally Posted by lurkur View Post
    The View is an embarassment. If a candidate is pro-union, it shouldn't be surprising that they back out (did she reschedule or just flat out cancel?) if there is a writers' strike, even if the ladies are making do without the writers. Even though it's a chat show, there are writers involved.

Unions and strikes aside, I can't imagine why Mrs. Obama would want to appear on the same stage and make small talk with Sherri "my tits are round, but the world is flat" Sheppard. What on earth (no pun intended) would they have to talk about that wouldn't come off like a school teacher talking to a kindergartener?

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Thread Information