Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caroline Kennedy was inspiration for 'Sweet Caroline', reveals Neil Diamond

Default Caroline Kennedy was inspiration for 'Sweet Caroline', reveals Neil Diamond

Inspiration: A picture of Caroline Kennedy Schlossberg as a little girl proved the inspiration for Diamond's song and title

Neil Diamond kept the secret for decades, but he has finally revealed that President Kennedy's daughter was the inspiration for his smash hit "Sweet Caroline".

The 66-year-old songwriter said: "I've never discussed it with anybody before intentionally.

"I thought maybe I would tell it to Caroline when I met her someday."

He got his chance last week when he performed the song via satellite at Caroline Kennedy Schlossberg's 50th birthday party.

Diamond was a "young, broke songwriter" when a photo of the president's daughter in a news magazine caught his eye.

Diamond said: "It was a picture of a little girl dressed to the nines in her riding gear, next to her pony.

"It was such an innocent, wonderful picture, I immediately felt there was a song in there."

Years later, holed up in a hotel in Memphis, he would write the words and music in less an hour.

"It was a No. 1 record and probably is the biggest, most important song of my career, and I have to thank her for the inspiration," he said.

"I'm happy to have gotten it off my chest and to have expressed it to Caroline. I thought she might be embarrassed, but she seemed to be struck by it and really, really happy." Scroll down for more...
    Secret revealed: Caroline Kennedy Schlossberg's 50th birthday party proved the perfect moment for Diamond to reveal the secret

The enduring hit recently reappeared on the singles chart, thanks in part to the Boston Red Sox. "Sweet Caroline" is played at every home game.

"I think they consider it good luck," Diamond said, adding that the Red Sox have become his favorite baseball team.

The tune's return to the charts leaves Diamond "speechless," he said: "That song was written 40 years ago, so I am just overwhelmed by the fact that it has returned and that, more importantly, people have taken it into their hearts for so many years."

Diamond is currently at work on a new album, his second collaboration with producer Rick Rubin.
    "We're both very excited about it," Diamond said. "I think it's going to be one of my best ever."
    Stately siblings: Caroline Kennedy as a young girl and her brother John Jr

JFK's daughter was inspiration for 'Sweet Caroline', reveals Neil Diamond | the Daily Mail

thats so sweet. I love this story. Good gossip!

WHy do the Red SOcks play that at every home game? Is he orginally from Boston?

I dunno. The lyrics don't sound like something written for a little girl.

Elite Member

That's a cool story. It IS a cool song. It's always been such a catchy tune, a real feel good type of song. I always liked the name Caroline because of that song too.

I want them to get Carly Simon and torture her until she reveals FOR CERTAIN who the 'You're so Vain' song was about..now THAT I want to know for certain!
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

^^ Wasn't it supposed to be about Warren Beatty?

Oh, how I loved that song when I was little!!
    Something about "clouds in my coffee" sounded so cool to me.

About "Sweet Caroline", that's such a great story! She must've been speechless when her told her.

Sweet Caroline and Fenway Park

Neil Diamond and the Boston Red Sox are two American institutions with a very loyal following. And since the late ‘90s these two pop culture icons have been linked together through one of the more odd traditions at Fenway Park.
    At every Red Sox home game, Diamond’s classic Sweet Caroline is played on the ballpark’s speakers before the bottom of the 8th inning. The sing-along song has become such a Fenway staple that it was even included in the 2005 movie Fever Pitch.
    Most Sox fans, and moviegoers, are aware that Sweet Caroline is played as often at Fenway Park as The Star-Spangled Banner. But very few people know the reason why.
    "I'm not sure how it started, but we're very pleased that it happened," Diamond's press agent, Sherrie Levy, said.
    The song itself was born out of humble beginnings, written by Diamond in a Memphis hotel room the day before a recording session. It debuted as a single on June 28, 1969.
    Sweet Caroline eventually reached #4 on the Billboard chart and over two million copies of the song were sold. But how did it become the 8th inning anthem at Fenway Park, where annual attendance easily tops two million folks?
    Despite rumors, it has nothing to do with President John F. Kennedy's daughter.
    Another story attributes a different Caroline as the inspiration. Legend has it that former Red Sox public address announcer Ed Brickley requested the song to be played as a tribute to the appropriately named newborn daughter of Billy Fitzpatrick, who worked in the Fenway Park control room for 20 years.
    In reality, the song got its start at Fenway Park thanks to Amy Tobey, who was the ballpark’s music director from 1998 to 2004. She was responsible for choosing the music to be played between innings and picked Sweet Caroline simply because she had heard it played at other sporting events.
    At first, Tobey played the song at random games sometime between the seventh and ninth innings, and only if the Red Sox were ahead. Tobey considered the song a good luck charm and it soon became something the fans anticipated.
    But it wasn’t until 2002, when John Henry’s group bought the Red Sox, that Sweet Caroline become an official Fenway tradition. That’s when the new ownership requested that Tobey play the song during the eighth inning of every game.
    Today Megan Kaiser is the person who chooses the between innings songs at Fenway Park, with the 8th inning exception.
    Kaiser did add a slightly new touch to the playback of Diamond’s tune, as she turns off the sound during the most popular parts of the song. Red Sox fans know the words by heart now so they don’t need much help with the lyrics, and the song has become an important part of the ballpark atmosphere.
    “Singing Sweet Caroline. That's cool,” said Red Sox third basemen Mike Lowell when asked about the vibe at Fenway Park.
    How the song became so popular in the first place is another story, and no less than the songwriter himself is mystified at the success of Sweet Caroline. “No way to explain it. That's one of the mysteries of songwriting,” says Diamond, who has written and recorded 38 Top 40 hits in his career. As hard as it is to explain, Neil Diamond’s catchy song has found a place as part of Red Sox Nation lore, and by mixing Sweet Caroline with the Fenway faithful good times have never seemed so good.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

^^ So the song wasn't written about her?

Where it began, I can't begin to know when
    But then I know it's growing strong
    Oh, wasn't the spring, whooo
    And spring became the summer
    Who'd believe you'd come along

Hands, touching hands, reaching out
    Touching me, touching you
    Oh, sweet Caroline
    Good times never seem so good
    I've been inclined to believe it never would

And now I, I look at the night, whooo
    And it don't seem so lonely
    We fill it up with only two, oh
    And when I hurt
    Hurting runs off my shoulder
    How can I hurt when holding you

Oh, one, touching one, reaching out
    Touching me, touching you
    Oh, sweet Caroline
    Good times never seem so good
    Oh I've been inclined to believe it never would

Ohhh, sweet Caroline, good times never seem so good

I dunno.

i had heard it was a rumor a while ago. i got that off RedSoxConnection, they are mostly reliable with their info.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

If those lyrics were written about a little girl that he had never even met, there's something sort of perverse about that.

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    If those lyrics were written about a little girl that he had never even met, there's something sort of perverse about that.
    I know! "Touching me, touching you" ??? uh oh.

oh god, it's the pedo police again, looking to make every single thing perverted...
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I guess I thought this wasn't a secret.....I just always assumed it was about her, or his daughter (though I don't know if he even HAS a daughter) or something like that.

One of the reasons we named our baby Caroline was because I kept hearing this song on the radio, like EVERYDAY, sometimes multiple times a day....and I took that as a 'sign' since we were waffling about a few names (Caroline being one of them). I do like this song...I admit it.

I don't think he's saying he wrote the song about her, just that a picture of her (and her name) inspired him to write the song. Nothing perverse about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information