Login to remove the ads!

Thread: Stephen Colbert rejected by South Carolina Presidential Primary Executive Board 13-3

Default Stephen Colbert rejected by South Carolina Presidential Primary Executive Board 13-3

South Carolina Democrats say no to Colbert

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) — The South Carolina Democratic Party voted Thursday to keep comedian Stephen Colbert's name off the Democratic Primary ballot, according to Executive Director Joe Werner.

This essentially means that Colbert’s short lived (Democratic) White House run in the Palmetto State will come to an end.

The state party's executive council met this afternoon in Columbia to decide which Democratic candidates met the criteria to be placed on the ballot. To be placed on the South Carolina ballot a candidate must demonstrate national viability as well as campaign in the state.

Colbert, who officially filed papers to get on the ballot this morning, lost a roll call vote, 13-3.

Meanwhile, presidential long shots, Rep. Dennis Kucinich and former Alaska Sen. Mike Gravel, made the cut.

State Democratic Party Chairwoman Carol Fowler suggested Wednesday that Colbert does not meet the standard of national viability.

"He does not appear to be campaigning to win if he is only running in one state," she said.

CNN.com - CNN Political Ticker South Carolina Democrats say no to Colbert
    Last edited by Pilaf; November 2nd, 2007 at 08:36 AM.

Do they not realize that if they let him run, they get the 18-35 year old demographic off their asses and to the polls in record numbers for the first time in decades?

Getting younger generations interested in politics and voting is never a bad thing in my mind.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

I know officials have to be serious and all, but a facebook started by one of Colberts fans got over 1,000,000 members in 8 days, and is now up to 1,300,000 members. Recently it linked to Rock the Vote, and overnight got over 4,000 new voter registrations. Since the majority of young people usually vote democrat, they really missed a good opportunity to involve people who would normally ignore the election. They could have really used all that attention for their party and the election.
    "Just because I walked into a turd supermarket doesn't mean I have to buy anything." - John Oliver

Actually, I think they realized how popular Colbet is and didn't want him hijacking or adversely skewing the election so they decided to nip him in the bud. I mean, we have a lot of people who would actually vote for him, for any variety of reasons. Can you imagine the uproar if he actually got very far in this race??

Hell, I'd vote for Colbert. He can't be any worse than the moron we have as President. Plus, he reads and can form coherent sentences. That puts him miles ahead of Bush right there.

It would skew the vote though and he's not seriously running. They did the right thing.

Thread Information