Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Joanna Lumley wants girls to behave better

Default Joanna Lumley wants girls to behave better

Joanna Lumley has called on young girls across the UK to behave better if they hope to be successful.

The actress, who is best known for her role as outrageous Patsy Stone in Absolutely Fabulous, was recently asked to write the forward to a new book called The Magic Key To Charm.

"I thought it was absolutely enchanting, it's how young women were told how to behave in the old days and I think it might be just coming back for a bit of a revival," Lumley explained in an interview with Parkinson.

"Because, I have to say I adore our young ones and I think we have got some of the prettiest and loveliest girls in the world but I think sometimes the behaviour gets a bit bad and I think the girls let themselves down. They are so pretty and so lovely but they should behave better, I think, then they will be more successful."

Showbiz - News - Joanna Lumley wants girls to behave better - Digital Spy

Cheers, Pats!

My my, didn't we all just dip our tongues in some acid today.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Love, love, love her and will agree with pretty much anything she says.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

No advice for boys (or men) to behave better, of course.

Bolly, luv.........

In a fucked up world the woman that portrayed excess - makes more sense than most

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    No advice for boys (or men) to behave better, of course.
    Yes and no. Women are accountable for their own actions, not guys' actions.

Lumley portrayed a lush. She's not out and about in the world acting like a lunatic. It's sort of like if Carol Burnett wanted to write a book on the same thing. I'd listen to both of 'em.

I think the last time I saw her she was doing a car insurance advert.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    Yes and no. Women are accountable for their own actions, not guys' actions.
    Yes, but individual women are not accountable of their gender as a whole, and I would think some of the problems of current social interaction stem from both genders equally. Unless I misunderstood their meaning.

The whole thing reminds me of a 50s morality. Women are supposed to be proper little ladies, and any woman who doesn't conform to some randomly defined sexual mores is a slut, but men...oh well, boys will be boys.

Hmm, well in the world of celebs i cant rememberr any guys (aside from that chris crocker twatwaffle) flashing his junk at the paps for attention
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Yes, but individual women are not accountable of their gender as a whole, and I would think some of the problems of current social interaction stem from both genders equally. Unless I misunderstood their meaning.

The whole thing reminds me of a 50s morality. Women are supposed to be proper little ladies, and any woman who doesn't conform to some randomly defined sexual mores is a slut, but men...oh well, boys will be boys.
    For one thing, what's wrong with being a proper little lady? What's wrong with that? It's like....being ladylike is more vilified than having a sex tape floating around the internet. I don't understand that.

Guys should stop being assholes, and girls should stop making themselves trashy. At the same time, we allow guys to get away with their behavior, because we use their behavior as a model. We say, If a guy can do it, so can I.....and that's why we have so many Paris Hiltons and Britney Spearseses and Lindsay Lohans, not to mention all the hoochies I pass on my way to work.

We don't have to wear little suits and white gloves and hats, but what's wrong with a little decorum?

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

There is nothing wrong with having class.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    For one thing, what's wrong with being a proper little lady? What's wrong with that? It's like....being ladylike is more vilified than having a sex tape floating around the internet. I don't understand that.

Guys should stop being assholes, and girls should stop making themselves trashy. At the same time, we allow guys to get away with their behavior, because we use their behavior as a model. We say, If a guy can do it, so can I.....and that's why we have so many Paris Hiltons and Britney Spearseses and Lindsay Lohans, not to mention all the hoochies I pass on my way to work.
    Because the two options were either proper little lady or Paris Hilton? Well, damn. That's a whole new take on the Madonna/Whore syndrome.

The truth is that society at large, and hell, this board, tend to condemn women for much milder behaviour than crotch flashes and sex tapes, while men are simply not held to the same standard. Just look at some of the words-slut, hootchie, homewrecker...all those words have female connotations. I find it interesting than in this day and age, a woman's worth is still measured by the degree of her sexual 'purity' (the very word itself being loaded, implying that sex is a dirty activity).

And to return to the topic of sex tapes, Colin Farell has a sex tape, yet nobody seems to be constantly calling him a whore, skank, slut etc. Not that I'm comparing him to Paris-I hate her, because she is an overprivileged, ignorant, talentless, racist piece of shit who's had everything handed to her on a plate. Compared to all of that, the sex tape, crotch flashes or her number of partners barely registers on my radar.

Aellla...I think its best you go back to the kitchen *cough*

love you

Because the two options were either proper little lady or Paris Hilton? Well, damn. That's a whole new take on the Madonna/Whore syndrome.

The truth is that society at large, and hell, this board, tend to condemn women for much milder behaviour than crotch flashes and sex tapes, while men are simply not held to the same standard. Just look at some of the words-slut, hootchie, homewrecker...all those words have female connotations. I find it interesting than in this day and age, a woman's worth is still measured by the degree of her sexual 'purity' (the very word itself being loaded, implying that sex is a dirty activity).

And to return to the topic of sex tapes, Colin Farell has a sex tape, yet nobody seems to be constantly calling him a whore, skank, slut etc. Not that I'm comparing him to Paris-I hate her, because she is an overprivileged, ignorant, talentless, racist piece of shit who's had everything handed to her on a plate. Compared to all of that, the sex tape, crotch flashes or her number of partners barely registers on my radar.
    I think Colin Farrell is trash. Personally, I do hold guys to the same standards. It's crappy that society doesn't, but maybe if women say, "I refuse to act like trash and associate with it".....guys will follow suit. This whole "Guys do it so why can't we" thing is ridiculous.

It's not "proper little lady" versus "whore." But I don't understand why being ladylike is so vilified. Sex tapes and crotch-flashing ISN'T 'mild' behavior. Not too long ago, that was seen as pretty disgusting, but now....it's not bad? It's okay to flash your cooter? That means you're liberated? Making a sex tape means "hooray now I'll get my own reality show"?

Nobody has class anymore. Nobody has boundaries. Including the guys. Guys will always get away with more, period. That's never going to change. But we don't have to reward them for their piggish behavior, nor should we use their piggish behavior as a model for our own.

Why sure Soth, should I make you a sandwich while I'm there?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information