Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously, losers, back off Britney Spears! (for Britney fans only...)

Wink Seriously, losers, back off Britney Spears! (for Britney fans only...)

Seriously, losers, back off Britney

Ugly Internet speak gives schadenfreude a bad name

Netiquette: Seriously, losers, back off Britney - Netiquette - MSNBC.com

Jae C. Hong / AP file

By Helen A.S. Popkin

Okay Internets. Let’s get clear on one thing. It is never, ever cool to publicly cheer for somebody’s suicide. It doesn’t matter if you hate prefabricated pop music. It’s immaterial if bad hair weaves or the possible neglect of a couple of Hollywood babies offends your every sensibility. It’s irrelevant if you believe that the integrity of the MTV Video Music Awards is forever compromised or that driving without a legal California licenses is a capital offense. Gleefully calling for someone’s — anyone’s — imminent demise by her own deliberate hand is just not okay.
    Some participants in the conversation seem to get that. Shockingly, a whole heck of a lot of you do not. In fact, it’s often the first place you go in the chat rooms and message boards when expressing your disapproval of this or that — and never more definitively than when it comes to the China Syndrome that is Britney Spears. For that, the death wishers pop up in droves. Seriously. What up with that?
    ad_dap('250','300','&PG=NBCTW3&AP=1089');

Internet Britney Haters reached critical mass the first day of October when celebrity gossip site TMZ broke the shocking-yet-unsurprising news that ding dang it! Britney done lost her kids. In celebration, every available blog comment field from TMZ to PerezHilton.com is now a virtual Mardi Gras, with masked posters reveling in what they see as, at last, the killing blow before Britney paints the ceiling ala Kurt Cobain.

Gossip blog comments run the gamut. “While her life may parallel Natalie Wood's life I suspect she'll die like River Phoenix or John Belushi. No big loss with their deaths; neither will hers,” says one introspective Dlisted.com poster. “OMG, It's gonna be so awesome when she kills herself. Then we'll have to listen to a year of ‘who's fault is it?’ I hope she opts for a shotgun to the face instead of pills or something lame,” says an imaginative TMZ reader. Meanwhile, one unfathomably angry gossip enthusiast on PerezHilton.com shouts, “BRITNEY IS A FAT STUPID UGLY HEARTLESS IDIOT! I HOPE SHE DIES AND SOMEONE WEARS HER SKIN AROUND THEIR NECK!”
    Yeah yeah, it’s cold and cruel in cyberspace, and if-you-can’t-take-the-trolls-log-off–the-server-and-why-is-MSNBC’s-tech-section-running-another-Britney-Spears-story-by-this-nincompoop-I-guess-I’ll-have-to-find-me-one-of-them-news-sites-that-doesn’t-cover-this-particular-topic (good luck, pal) blah blah blah … Shut up. Netiquette is about Internet culture, and you best believe that the strikingly ugly way netizens choose to discuss celebrity or interact with one another is just as relevant as college campus text message alerts, predators and cyberbullies and a possible cultural divide between MySpace and Facebook.

Britney Spears deserves no more or less compassion than any other biped. Nor should we condemn those who enjoy following and/or make their money covering celebrity minutiae. Yeah yeah, of course I’d say that, being one of them and all. Still, there’s truth in the time-honored cliché that here in the United States, celebrities are our royalty and that gossip is not inherently evil, but often a necessary binding agent for a cohesive society. But dang, people! This off-the-chart online anger and cruelty is a whole other Dear Abby.

Why? Because Britney Spears discussions aren’t the only place single-minded trolls cheerfully call for the self-administered deaths of people they’ll never meet IRL. It happens even in the mildest of chat rooms. It was a frequent comment on Chris Crocker’s YouTube channel even before he posted his infamous “LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE!” video. Of course, as a flamboyantly gay boy growing up in a small Southern town, Chris can tell you that bashing homosexuals remains a time-honored pastime in this country — even off the Internet.

Again and again and again: This isn’t about “Oh poor Britney, leave her alone you monsters!” Frankly, we all need to start thinking about why it’s acceptable to spew viscous black bile in cyberspace, when the majority of us wouldn’t do it face-to-face. Let’s break it down for those slow on the uptake and/or raised in a barn. Hanging on the Internet, it’s easy to pretend you’re not in the real world, and “Lord of the Flies” rules apply.

But guess what? As actual and virtual reality increasingly intersect, what you do online, to varying degrees, equals public behavior. If you can meet the love of your life on a dating Web site or lose your job for some innocuous comment or photo you’ve posted on MySpace — and people do all the time — what you do online is part of who you really, truly are.

Wow, first Chris Crocker, and now this!

In celebration, every available blog comment field from TMZ to PerezHilton.com is now a virtual Mardi Gras, with masked posters reveling in what they see as, at last, the killing blow before Britney paints the ceiling ala Kurt Cobain.

*sniggers * *because I hate*
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

“britney Is A Fat Stupid Ugly Heartless Idiot! I Hope She Dies And Someone Wears Her Skin Around Their Neck!”

Wearing her skin about their neck? What's up with that???

cyberbullies, do you think (groupthink?) that term describes us here with our hate?
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Quote Originally Posted by VenusInFauxFurs View Post
    cyberbullies, do you think (groupthink?) that term describes us here with our hate?
    LOL!

This article makes me laugh. Look at the way Britney screamed abuse at that female photographer recently. If that's what she says to people IRL what kind of stuff would SHE put out over the internet?

On the other hand, is she even clever enough to log on in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by VenusInFauxFurs View Post
    of course it does. obviously, if you have the same opinion as me, one of us gave the opinion to the other. Or TMZ gave it to us. Or OK. it's pitiful that we rely so much on "groupthink", idn't it?
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(•_•)П

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    of course it does. obviously, if you have the same opinion as me, one of us gave the opinion to the other. Or TMZ gave it to us. Or OK. it's pitiful that we rely so much on "groupthink", idn't it?

I know I am scared to have a dissenting opinion because the worst thing that can happen on an internet message board is... social internet alienation

holy crap.. you guys won't let me sit at the cool kid table at the cafeteria at lunch time because I don't have the right opinion. How do I sleep at night?
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

This article made me LOLZ

Oh shit, is LOL-ing part of groupthink?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I'm just going to ask you guys, before I post anything now to make sure I'm on the same page as all y'all.. if that's okay?

Resistance is futile.

One of us! One of us! One of us!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

This is more entertaining than trainwreck britney! Collect em all.

Seriously. What up with that?
    That's some real journalism, folks. And I'm pretty sure people around here have come up with better Britters suicide posts than that. Why they gotta go hunting around Perez' nasty ass pastures???
    The Gen X Eurotrash Jetsetters Club:
    A place for internationally minded celebrity haterz to come together in peace and harmony

There's a cultural divide between MySpace and Facebook?

I must be getting bored with the whole Britney thing if that's the only thing I get out of the article. It's probably my own fault for reading Pink is the New Blog for all these years.

anyone who has a thought, please PM it to me and/or one of the other groupthinkers so it can be approved for public consumption...
    Thank you,
    one- of obviously many - groupthinkers
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(•_•)П

You don't need to PM. Our thoughts are one. We are the BritBorg.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information