Thread: Inquest into Princess Diana's death opens in London

Default Inquest into Princess Diana's death opens in London

The British inquest into the death of Princess Diana and her companion, Dodi Fayed, opened Tuesday with the aim of officially deciding, once and for all, what happened in their car crash in Paris a decade ago.

The likelihood that it really will stamp out the rumors and conspiracy theories that have swirled around that one-car accident in Paris, however, seems remote. Neither is it likely that Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles will testify, as Fayed's father hopes.

The inquest began with the selection of six women and five men for a jury that will hear up to six months of testimony to determine what happened on Aug. 31, 1997.

Police in France and Britain concluded that chauffeur Henri Paul was drunk and lost control of the couple's speeding Mercedes, which smashed into a pillar at the Pont d'Alma tunnel. Paul died along with Diana, 36, and Fayed, 42; bodyguard Trevor Rees-Jones was the sole survivor.

French courts absolved the paparazzi, who were chasing the couple, of responsibility for the crash.

Former London police chief John Stevens led an investigation that concluded there was no substance to claims by Mohamed al Fayed, Fayed's father, that the couple were victims of a conspiracy including the queen's husband Prince Philip and the security services.

That has not satisfied everyone, especially al Fayed.

"I believe my son and Princess Diana have been murdered by the royal family," al Fayed said outside the court.

But a coroner, or a coroner's jury, has no authority to blame any individual for a death. Its role in an inquest is to determine who died, when and where, and how.

The inquest has attracted so much attention that court officials built an annex to accommodate the swarms of journalists.

But the public area was not full Tuesday. Some stalwarts who did come included John Loughrey, 32, who had drawn the slogan "Diana at Last" in blue on his face.

"I'm thinking it is a dream inquest," he said, describing Diana as the star of the drama.

Lord Justice Scott Baker has shown some impatience with al Fayed's legal team in preliminary hearings.

But al Fayed, as one of the "interested parties" to the inquest, and his legal team will have an opportunity to explore the conspiracy theory over the coming months.

It is because al Fayed challenged Justice Baker's predecessor that the case is being heard by a jury, rather than by a judge alone.

The world's fascination with the princess may have ebbed since the explosion of grief that followed her death, but this year's 10th anniversary brought a new spate of books and documentaries.

The media industry that developed around Diana carried on after her death, producing books such as "Who Killed Diana?," "Princess Diana: The Hidden Evidence," "The Diana Conspiracy Exposed" and, "Princess Diana's Death from a Sufi Point of View."

The most exhaustive account, however, is the 871-page "The Operation Paget Inquiry Report into the Allegation of Conspiracy to Murder," by former Metropolitan Police Commissioner John Stevens. That report, published in December, was the fruit of an investigation commissioned by a previous coroner in 2004.

Stevens dismissed al Fayed's claims that the couple died a day before they intended to announce their engagement, that she was pregnant with Fayed's child, that some of her family opposed a marriage to a Muslim and that the paparazzi caused the crash.

Testimony and documents from the inquest will be posted online.

Inquest into Princess Diana's death opens - Yahoo! News

AGAIN??? We will never know what really happened. EVER!

For the love of God, just let the woman rest in peace. I don't think too many people even care anymore. She's dead and gone and has been for 10 years, give it up.

I get such a kick out of this bullshit.....for all the conspiracy theorists that think she was bumped off for dating a muslim.....

Fact: Before she dated Dodi.....in August 1996 she was dating Hasnat Khan, a Pakistani surgeon. She was very serious about him, and they were together until June 1997 when he broke up with her. She started dating Dodi then, although he was engaged to Kelly Fisher until July 1997, even having her nearby on another yacht when the pics of Diana on his boat were shot by the Paps......and she was dead in August.....it was just a 2 month fling with Dodi

If she was going to be killed off for dating a muslim, it would have been when she wanted to marry Khan.......Fayed was nothing more than some passing dick for the Princess.....even royals sometimes just need to get laid

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    For the love of God, just let the woman rest in peace. I don't think too many people even care anymore. She's dead and gone and has been for 10 years, give it up.
    I agree....let it go!
    Love ya,
    Dara

A*O

I think she was bumped off but not because she was dating a Muslim. She was a liability and the British establishment was terrified of what she might do next, including revealing a lot of Royal dirty linen. But if there was any kind of secret 'plot' then we will never, ever know about it so yet another inquest seems pointless. This is being driven by Mohammed Fayed who is still convinced that Diana was going to marry his playboy airhead son.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

i think it was an accident, plain and simple.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Stupidity also factors in ... getting into a car with a hammered driver and not wearing seatbelts.

Wow. What a waste of money. I agree with A*O. We will never know so just let it go.

She wasn't offed for dating a Muslim, she was offed because she had this massive power to sway popular opinion and no one knew where it would land next.

It's also said that she DID use the seatbelt, but that they had been filed down, so they would release. Agree as I cannot see Reese-Jones allowing her to proceed without seatbelts fastened.

And speculation that they blood samples reported to be the driver's, had been switched with Dodi's.

Why would an inquest take place ten years after the fact? She's dead dead dead, let it rest for God's sake.

Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar

I have always been a Di fan but even I think enough is enough. If the royal family is behind anything we will never EVER know. This accomplishes nothing.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I think she was bumped off but not because she was dating a Muslim. She was a liability and the British establishment was terrified of what she might do next, including revealing a lot of Royal dirty linen. But if there was any kind of secret 'plot' then we will never, ever know about it
    ITA and it's a complete waste. I am still curious what she would have done with her life. It's been said that she wanted to retire and live quietly for a few years... but I think that was wishful thinking on her part. She was a lot of things... some good, some bad... one of those things was famewhore. I mean that as nicely as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    That was my first thought as well.

And as much as the Royal Family pisses me off, I don't believe they murdered her.

Thread Information