Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Variety Magazine attacks Matt Damon for not being a media whore

Default Variety Magazine attacks Matt Damon for not being a media whore

Matt Damon News Column

Variety article HERE

Variety columnist Peter Bart has dedicated an entire article to attacking Matt for being reserved and not a media whore.

"I realize you don't like to get into the Harvard stuff, Matt, or for that matter, anything that touches on your personal life. After all, you've had extraordinary success at the box office lately, and you've also been noticing the tendency of other stars to self-destruct. Your conclusion: The safest path for a movie star is to remain totally remote from the media, and to be utterly secretive about your personal tastes and beliefs -- in short, to disappear as a person.

Stars should be mythic; forget the up-close-and-personal stuff. With this in mind, you breezed through the star-hungry Toronto Festival, carefully avoiding media scrutiny. In fact, I never knew you were there.

But if your goal in life, Matt, is to hide from your public, think about what you surrender. You are constrained from using your celebrity to advance political causes, as your friend George Clooney has done. You are inhibited from being an activist in social causes, like your friend Brad Pitt. You have to be, well, boring and elusive. Does that befit a Harvard man?"

Ummm Matt has done a ton of charity work. He hosted a charity auction in Toronto in support of domestic and global children’s charities. He's in Tanzania right now for his clean-water initiative H2O Africa.

Matt just doesn't make it all about him.

Just goes to prove what I've always thought: they're screwed if they do and screwed if they don't.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

That's bollocks. This is the reason I like Matt Damon. One of them anyway. The other reasons are that he's talented and smart and funny and charming. And kind of cute.

What a load of bullshit. Being everywhere and becoming overrated is not a good thing- No one is that great when they never go away.

i always thought that the problem with actors when they get too famous is that they don't convincingly become their characters in movies anymore. unless they're exceptionally good. matt damon, precisely because we don't see him everywhere and know a whole lot about his personal life, totally loses himself in his roles and is therefore way more convincing as an actor.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Peter Bart is a dipshit. I say bravo to Matt Damon.
    Now logic is a wonderful thing but it has, as the processes of evolution discovered, certain drawbacks. Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else which thinks at least as logically as it does. - Douglas Adams

I'm sure Matt does a lot more for people than we see. Publicizing your "good works" (*cough* brangelina *cough*) takes away from any purity that act might have.

Matt Damon is twenty kinds of awesome.

I love actors that keep their private life out of the media. As much as I love a bit of gossip, I find I respect the ones who don't pimp their kids out for photo-ops, or notify the paps of their every move or deed.

The less I know about them the more I am inclined to admire them.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Matt is just one of the few (and smart) that refuses to get sucked in and spit out by Hollywood.. I think that's a good thing.

These people saying this are obviously mad because unlike many other celebrities, Matt is actually one where finding a bad thing to say or write about him is difficult because he chooses not to exploit himself and his life.

I agree with all of the comments above. One of the things that makes Matt Damon so likable is that he isnt a media whore and keeps his private life private. People get sick and tired of over exposed stars and i think that Matt has learnt that lesson from his good friend Ben after the whole Bennifer saga.

I have to admit i haven't watched a whole lot of Matt's movies but i did listen to his studio interview that he did with Edith Bowman on BBC Radio 1 a few weeks ago when he was in London to promote his movie. And apart from comming across very polite and rather intelligent (nothing like the dumb puppet in Team America) he also taked very lovingly about his family especially his step daughter who he adores and dotes on as if she was his own. I thought that was really sweet of him.

Why can't he just be a damn actor? Why do they all have to be social activitists or crotch flashers?

I agree with everything ^^ this guy and his article are ridiculous, since when is it admirable to aspire to be a media whore.
    As nwgirl said they're screwed if they do and screwed if they don't. He has the right to do his job and then live his life, he just doesn't confuse the two like so many others do.

A local radio station mentioned that hardly any celebrities were sighted this year. For some reason the majority entered and left through back doors.
    Scariest Halloween mask ever > > >

That's actually a good point. We see a whole lot of "celebs" who are not talented and not actors but we don't see the people with talent flaunting their shit for the cameras.

Gold Member

Damned if you do and damned if you don't! I've come to think of him as a really good actor over the years, he's someone who can make me want to see something, just because he's in it. I think it's a great thing that we don't know more about his life, we're not supposed to, you know? I do see the down side of charities lacking recognition but that's not supposed to be the celebs job. I think in his case, he's an honestly all around good guy. It's amazing he's lasted as long as he has!
    Snooky Wookums, prepare for the invasion!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information