Thread: 50 Cent getting ready to retire? Kanye West outselling him so far

Default 50 Cent getting ready to retire? Kanye West outselling him so far

Kanye leading 50 in CD sales face-off
    By NEKESA MUMBI MOODY, AP Music Writer

NEW YORK - 50 Cent may be getting hip-hop's equivalent of a gold watch next week. Early reports have Kanye West beating 50 in their much-hyped battle of album sales: West's "Graduation" is on pace to sell about 575,000 to 700,000 its first week out, while 50 Cent's "Curtis" is on track to do 550,000, according to Billboard magazine.

As of day one, Kanye had sold 437,000 copies to 50's 310,000, according to Nielsen Soundscan.

Both albums came out Tuesday, and a confident 50 Cent famously announced that he would retire if West outsold him in first-week sales.

"I just don't view him as competition based on our previous sales histories," 50 Cent told The Associated Press last month.

But it looks as if 50 underestimated the power of West, and perhaps, overestimated his own appeal.

"I don't think it's helped 50 that so many of these prerelease singles that have come out have fizzled on the charts right away," said Jonathan Cohen, Billboard's senior editor. "There were street date changes. It has just not been a good run-up to this record for him."

Meanwhile, Cohen says West is having a more "charmed" experience, despite his recent tantrum at the MTV Video Music Awards after going home empty-handed.

"These tantrums he goes on, these outlandish comments he makes, they don't really hurt him," said Cohen. "If anything, they've got more people interested in what he's all about."

Still, don't finalize those retirement party plans for 50 just yet; there are several days to go before a final tally is determined, and he could catch up and overtake West.

"It is a projection," Cohen said of the initial sales predictions. "It can very easily deviate."

And there's still the potential of a third-party candidate winning the race: country superstar Kenny Chesney, who's "Just Who I Am: Poets and Pirates" also was released on Tuesday, is so far on pace to sell 400,000 to 550,000 copies.

___

On the Net:

http://www.kanyewest.com

50 Cent | Official Site

httP//http://www.kennychesney.com
    Kanye leading 50 in CD sales face-off - Yahoo! News
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

50 ought to shoot Kanye in the face and then go to jail for the rest of his life.

Ah, in a perfect world..
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Funny, I was thinking pretty much the same thing.

Thread Information