Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jodie Foster's anti-gun stance

Default Jodie Foster's anti-gun stance

Jodie Foster: 'Firearms Should Be Banned'

Actress Jodie Foster has hit out at America's abundance of firearms, insisting all guns should be banned.

Foster, who plays an urban vigilante in new movie The Brave One, believes her anti-gun stance is out of step with the beliefs of most of her countrymen.

She says, "I don't believe that any gun should be in the hand of a thinking, feeling, breathing human being. Americans are by nature filled with rage-slash-fear. And guns are a huge part of our culture.

"I know I'm crazy because I'm only supposed to say that in Europe. But violence corrupts absolutely."
    Source: FemaleFirst.co.uk
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Anyone wants to go first?

*prepares to get stoned and not in the good way*

I agree with her.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Me too Venus.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."-Einstein

I kind of feel the same way. After the Port Arthur massacre in Tasmania, our gun laws were totally changed...for the better.
    I think police should have the right to be armed, as do those in the armed forces. And as much as I hate animal hunting, hunters who have registered guns with permits should be permitted to own a gun, as should farmers.

I know my opinion isn't going to be in favor with everyone, but I really don't believe you need to own a gun. How many shooting deaths are there in America -- absolutely too many. I know it's a sensitive issue and there are many valid points in relation to why one should own a gun, so I will leave it at that.

Edit: Before I get called a hypocrite, I just looked at my display picture - Woops! ha, ha. Jolie with a gun. I'm totally for hot men and women posing with them (unloaded, or completely fake, of course ).
    ssabmud

I don't own a gun (yet) but firmly believe in the right to bear arms, mainly because I don't trust the government. But as a single woman, I would also use it as self defense in my home to protect me and my child.

I think guns are terrible. Problem is, you can take them away legally and the bad sorts are still going to get them illegally. Then the bad guys have guns and the cops don't. I think the only people allowed to own guns should be cops and armed services and I don't think either should be allowed to have them when off-duty.
    Now logic is a wonderful thing but it has, as the processes of evolution discovered, certain drawbacks. Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else which thinks at least as logically as it does. - Douglas Adams

Unless her new film is a commentary on said fucked up culture, she could be accused of hypocrisy given that she plugs a number of people with a firearm in it.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^^ she pointed that out herself in an interview I saw this weekend.

Bronze Member

According to the Constitution, you not only have the right to bear arms, but you also bear responsibilty.

..And most people who own guns (and regularly carry them) respect what they can do, and respect that responsibility -- most concealed carry licences require upwards of 8 hours of thorough training in marksmanship and gun laws in your state.

I was anti-gun (actually, gun-phobic is more like it) until early-summer, when a spate of robberies hit my neighborhood. Mostly the robbers were Katrina kids. Out of school, bored, and looking to lift an unlocked window and steal things which they could pawn for five or ten bucks. However, some of the robbers were more vicious, breaking down doorframes and hauling off big ticket items and carrying weapons.

I looked at the big picture. I'm home alone all day. I have pets I care about and would like to protect. I have things that I'd rather not lose if possible, like my life and my front doorframe.

So, I put the dog outside for the rest of his life (he's a 160lb Saint Bernard, you can't buy a better first-line home defense), plunked down 1700 for an alarm system and went to the local gun range.

I knew nothing about guns. Not how to hold, use, load, clean, store, protect, or fire them. The guys there immediately had me sign up for a basic lesson, taught by a LEO. The first thing that was explained to me was that a gun is a deadly weapon and I have a great responsibility to use it properly. Within the month, I was a competent, decent shot.

Do I still fear guns? Yes -- in the hands of untrained individuals who want to pretend they're Doc Holliday -- and you get a few of those at gun ranges, and everyone looks at them like they're lamer than last night's Brit performance.

But I don't fear one in my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    According to the Constitution, you not only have the right to bear arms, but you also bear responsibilty.

..And most people who own guns (and regularly carry them) respect what they can do, and respect that responsibility -- most concealed carry licences require upwards of 8 hours of thorough training in marksmanship and gun laws in your state.

I was anti-gun (actually, gun-phobic is more like it) until early-summer, when a spate of robberies hit my neighborhood. Mostly the robbers were Katrina kids. Out of school, bored, and looking to lift an unlocked window and steal things which they could pawn for five or ten bucks. However, some of the robbers were more vicious, breaking down doorframes and hauling off big ticket items and carrying weapons.

I looked at the big picture. I'm home alone all day. I have pets I care about and would like to protect. I have things that I'd rather not lose if possible, like my life and my front doorframe.

So, I put the dog outside for the rest of his life (he's a 160lb Saint Bernard, you can't buy a better first-line home defense), plunked down 1700 for an alarm system and went to the local gun range.

I knew nothing about guns. Not how to hold, use, load, clean, store, protect, or fire them. The guys there immediately had me sign up for a basic lesson, taught by a LEO. The first thing that was explained to me was that a gun is a deadly weapon and I have a great responsibility to use it properly. Within the month, I was a competent, decent shot.

Do I still fear guns? Yes -- in the hands of untrained individuals who want to pretend they're Doc Holliday -- and you get a few of those at gun ranges, and everyone looks at them like they're lamer than last night's Brit performance.

But I don't fear one in my hands.
    Excellent post.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Unless her new film is a commentary on said fucked up culture, she could be accused of hypocrisy given that she plugs a number of people with a firearm in it.
    Uh, yeah, if she is so against guns, why did she accept this role?

Problem is, people who own guns also fuel the illegal gun culture because they get broken into and the guns stolen. Where do you think most of them come from? lol

So you buy a gun to 'protect' yourself from criminals with guns they stole from houses just like yours.

it's idiotic.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I am more afraid of unexperienced homeowners with guns than the criminals with guns. There are too many stories of people shooting their own children or spouses because they hear a noise in the night and shoot before realizing it is their loved one. Most criminals do not use the guns against the person they are robbing, raping ,etc. unless the victim also has a gun.

I dunno. I feel safer with mine and in Texas it is just a fashion accessory. We drill at the gun range-I can't see how much danger I am to others. I have enough trouble hitting the target. I would rather run than use it.A bad guy would have to get past a security system,barking dogs-one big, and a large husband. At that point, he gonna get it from me and the pearl handled. My Mother is of the opinion that a can of hairspray works just as well. She is most likely right-have you ever sprayed yourself in the eye?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information