Thread: Shark celebrates $300m divorce as wife weeps

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default Shark celebrates $300m divorce as wife weeps

By Peta Hellard in Florida
    September 08, 2007 12:00am

WHILE Greg Norman was cheerfully planning to celebrate his $600 million divorce with a beer, his soon-to-be ex-wife Laura was weeping over the end of their 25-year marriage today.

After a Florida court hearing to finalise their nine-figure settlement , the Great White Shark promptly jumped on his personal jet to join girlfriend Chris Evert at the US Open and begin the next chapter of his life.

While the golfer showed no emotion during the two-hour hearing in Martin County Court in Stuart, Laura wept openly as Judge Lawrence Mirman confirmed that their divorce would be finalised within three days after Mr Norman transferred cash and assets - worth an estimated $A300 million - to his wife.

Norman, 52, said he was happy the divorce was almost complete and expressed disappointment the court case had turned nasty in the last two months, with his wife accusing him of cutting off her credit cards and changing the locks on their marital home.

"After a long journey, justice prevailed," he told News Limited - the only Australian media present - today.

"I regret that this situation turned in the direction it did - we all wanted to keep it as amicable as possible and under the circumstances I don't think it turned out to be as amicable as we all would have liked.

"That's kind of sad because it hurt a lot of people.

"From my perspective, I'm just very happy with the outcome."

Norman said he was open to the idea of marrying again and wanted to share his life with someone else.

"Oh yeah," he said, enthusiastically when asked if he hoped to "settle down" with another partner in the near future.

"(But) I'm not single (legally divorced) until we finally get the order but it sounds like that will happen in less than a week," he said.

"Time will tell (about marriage) - we'll see."

While a distraught Laura left the court quickly after the hearing and refused to comment, Norman was in high spirits when asked what he was looking forward to in the future.

"Going and having a cold beer, to tell you the truth," he said beaming.

Only hours later he was sitting alongside his new lover Evert, who stroked his neck and wrapped her arms around him during the evening match (Moya vs Djokovic) in New York's Flushing Meadows.

During the first hour of the court appearance, lawyers for both parties argued over financial details and the hearing seemed to be at a standstill, with Laura's lawyers refusing to have their client sign divorce papers until certain assets from couple's business empire were transferred.

Norman then requested a brief recess with his legal team and six minutes later, the former No. 1 golfer and his lawyers returned to the court and agreed to meet Laura's settlement demands and transfer assets into her name and large cash lump sums into her bank account and retirement fund.

While the agreement saw the former flight attendant land a large fortune, she appeared less than happy.

Laura cried quietly and dabbed her eyes with a tissue when the judge announced the couple's marriage would be legally ended on Tuesday or Wednesday, with her lawyer Jack Scarola phyiscally supporting her when she stood up at the end of procedings.

She barely spoke during the hearing, with the petite 57-year-old taking the stand briefly to tell the judge she did not want to keep the Norman surname and would be taking her maiden name Andrassy.

Her lawyer said Laura was saddened that the marriage was over.

"It is the end of a very long relationship and no matter what kind of animosity might have arisen, Greg Norman is still the father of her children," Mr Scarola told News Limited.

"This was not an easy circumstance."

----------------------------------

How sad.....poor Laura.

300 fucking million dollars?!

HELLZ TO THE YEAH bring me the beer!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

For $300 million I would weep tears of pure, unadulterated joy.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Who are these people?

*gets back under rock*
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

czb

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    Who are these people?

*gets back under rock*
    he is a super-fug golf pro who is now dating chris evert (former tennis star).

A*O

Poor Laura my arse. I'd say $300 million will 'ease her pain' quite nicely thank you. I don't think he plays so much these days, but he earns a fortune (clearly) designing golf courses all over the world.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

Money is not the answer to everything. You guys know that. She is sad that after all those years it's over. He, however, not so sad.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Quote Originally Posted by VenusInFauxFurs View Post
    For $300 million I would weep tears of pure, unadulterated joy.
    Let the party begin!!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Am I out of the loop or what?? This is the first time I ever heard that Norman & Evert were dating ...

I think "celebrating" a divorce like this guy did is in poor taste. I don't know the details of this case, but even when I've broken up with someone and knew it was for the best, it still didn't make me want to go out and get happy. Mind you, $300 million would ease the pain considerably.

Did the divorce take a long time?
    If it did I can see how someone would want to celebrate.
    Lao-tzu

czb

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    Did the divorce take a long time?
    If it did I can see how someone would want to celebrate.
    i don't know if it took a long time, but it became very bitter. his wife wanted half the assets, he claimed special circumstances (kind of like jeff gordon tried to do) that would give his wife substantially less. but she won.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    i don't know if it took a long time, but it became very bitter. his wife wanted half the assets, he claimed special circumstances (kind of like jeff gordon tried to do) that would give his wife substantially less. but she won.
    ahhhhhhhhh don't they all....
    Lao-tzu

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Poor Laura my arse. I'd say $300 million will 'ease her pain' quite nicely thank you. I don't think he plays so much these days, but he earns a fortune (clearly) designing golf courses all over the world.
    I totally agree. 300 million, and she's still crying?

This has been dragged out for a while because she wanted more money. I'd be celebrating with a cold beer if I were him too. They can both get on with their lives now.
    ssabmud

[QUOTE=CCkissesx;806240]I totally agree. 300 million, and she's still crying?

This has been dragged out for a while because she wanted more money. I'd be celebrating with a cold beer if I were him too. They can both get on with their lives now.[/QUOT

I cannot stand Greg Norman. I think the fact that he was celebrating the divorce was just to rub salt into the wounds of his now ex wife. He was the one who drew out the divorce because he didn't want to have to pay her out as much and made statements pertaining to it being him that played golf & earnt the money not her. Quite disgusting given they were married for so long and she obviously did a lot of sole parenting to their kids while he was off playing golf. I think he's an arrogant shit & it annoys me to no end that he's seen as a "great Australian".

Thread Information