Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree529Likes

Thread: Alec Baldwin fatally shoots cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on movie set

Default Alec Baldwin fatally shoots cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on movie set

A woman has died and a man has been injured after actor Alec Baldwin fired a prop gun on a New Mexico film set.

Police in the US state said Mr Baldwin discharged the weapon during filming for the 19th Century western Rust.
    The woman, Halyna Hutchins, was flown to hospital by helicopter but died of her injuries. The man, director Joel Souza, was receiving emergency care.
    A spokesperson for Mr Baldwin told AP news agency the incident involved the misfiring of a prop gun with blanks.
    Ms Hutchins, 42, was working on the set as director of photography. Mr Souza, 48, was taken from the scene by ambulance, but details of his injuries have not been disclosed.
    Police are still investigating the incident at Bonanza Creek Ranch, a popular filming location, and no charges have been filed.

In a statement to AFP news agency, a Santa Fe sheriff spokesman said Mr Baldwin had spoken to detectives.

"He came in voluntarily and he left the building after he finished his interviews," the spokesman said.
    According to her personal website, Ms Hutchins was from Ukraine and grew up on a Soviet military base in the Arctic Circle. She studied journalism in Kyiv, and film in Los Angeles, and was named a "rising star" by the American Cinematographer magazine in 2019.

She was the director of photography for the 2020 action film Archenemy, directed by Adam Egypt Mortimer.

"I'm so sad about losing Halyna. And so infuriated that this could happen on a set," Mr Mortimer said in a tweet.

In a statement, the International Cinematographer's Guild said Ms Hutchins' death was "devastating news" and "a terrible loss".
    "The details are unclear at this moment, but we are working to learn more, and we support a full investigation into this tragic event," said guild president John Lindley and executive director Rebecca Rhine.

Police said sheriff's deputies were dispatched to Bonanza Creek Ranch at around 13:50 local time (19:50 GMT) after receiving an emergency call about a shooting on set.

Mr Baldwin is a co-producer of the film and plays its namesake, an outlaw whose 13-year-old grandson is convicted of an accidental murder.
    The eldest of four brothers, all actors, Mr Baldwin has starred in numerous TV and film roles since the 1980s.

He won numerous awards for his role as Jack Donaghy on the NBC sitcom 30 Rock. His portrayal of Donald Trump on sketch show Saturday Night Live also won him critical acclaim, and a third Primetime Emmy.

Incidents such as Thursday's fatal shooting on the Rust film set are extremely rare, but not unheard of.

Real firearms are often used in filming, and are loaded with blanks - cartridges that create a flash and a bang without discharging a projectile.
    In 1993, Brandon Lee - the 28-year-old son of the late martial-arts star Bruce Lee - died on set after being accidentally shot with a prop gun while filming a death scene for the film The Crow.

It was later determined that the gun used had earlier fired a round that caused a cartridge to become lodged in the barrel. When blank rounds were later fired, the cartridge was dislodged and released.
    Responding to Thursday's news, Brandon Lee's sister Shannon tweeted: "Our hearts go out to the family of Halyna Hutchins and to Joel Souza and all involved in the incident on 'Rust'. No-one should ever be killed by a gun on a film set. Period."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-59005500

WTF

Ugh. This happens far too often.

Im no fan of Alec but I feel for him. I dont think thats something youd ever get over.

There are a LOT of questions raised by this incident. The director of photography and the director wouldn't have been the people who I would have expected to be in the line of fire. Was this a rehearsal, or was he waving the prop gun around, or...? And he shot not one but two people. No matter how it's explained, there seemed to be gross negligence involved. They'll probably try to do damage control, but I don't see Baldwin's career or even this movie surviving this tragedy.
    DawnM74 likes this.

Also not a fan but I’ve seen the clip of him bent over crying after he saw the sheriff and he looks devastated. I feel bad for him. It’s not his fault.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jadestone View Post
    There are a LOT of questions raised by this incident. The director of photography and the director wouldn't have been the people who I would have expected to be in the line of fire. Was this a rehearsal, or was he waving the prop gun around, or...? And he shot not one but two people. No matter how it's explained, there seemed to be gross negligence involved. They'll probably try to do damage control, but I don't see Baldwin's career or even this movie surviving this tragedy.
    I can see it being possible. The DP and director are behind/near the camera. It’s quite possible he was firing towards them (with the camera facing him) and not at another actor. Yes, it’s also possible he was goofing around but I think it was the former scenario.

What a horrible tragedy for everyone involved.

Since this is a gossip board - this is the first time ever that I feel any sympathy for Alec Baldwin. No matter who was responsible for the gun, he pulled the trigger. That's absolutely devastating.
    He'll probably retire now, I know I would.

Quote Originally Posted by PecanPie View Post
    I can see it being possible. The DP and director are behind/near the camera. It’s quite possible he was firing towards them (with the camera facing him) and not at another actor. Yes, it’s also possible he was goofing around but I think it was the former scenario.
    Let's face it, Baldwin is such a renowned hothead that almost any scenario seems possible. I don't see how you kill one person and gravely injure another with one shot -- from a prop gun. Unless he was firing multiple shots toward the camera, held by the cinematographer (is that even allowed on a union set?), and the director is standing right behind the cinematographer.
    Novice and DawnM74 like this.

^^^I read that there was some kind of schrapnell (?) involved.
    o0Amber0o likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lofty Bike View Post
    ^^^I read that there was some kind of schrapnell (?) involved.

Yea, that's what I was guessing based on reading about the Brandon Lee incident again. Sounds like when this happens there's an issue with blanks getting caught up in the barrels which would cause more of an explosion, not a clean release. I'd guess the two individuals were standing next to each other and Ms Hutchins was probably in the direct path, Mr Souza taking on any debris that was released. There's also the possibility of any pieces bouncing off any equipment nearby.

I'm honestly shocked they still use real firearms on sets, it seems like a HUGE liability. With the technology available today it seems pretty unnecessary.

I feel really bad for everyone involved, they were all just trying to do a job.
    Last edited by o0Amber0o; October 22nd, 2021 at 08:00 AM.
    MsDark, lindsaywhit, Sarzy and 6 others like this.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

Elite Member

What a horrible situation, regardless of how it happened. How do you recover from something like that?
    fgg and ivey.girl like this.

First and foremost, I feel bad for her family. But for Alec too.

I know it was accidental. But I don't know how you'd get over something like this.

In the case of Brandon Lee, do they know who fired that shot? I remember a scene in the film (The Crow) where there were multiple shots being fired toward him at once and of course the character couldn't be killed because he was supernatural. That had to be the scene where Brandon was accidentally killed.

It's probably a relatively rare occurrence given how often prop guns are used, but it has happened enough times that you'd think they would have done away with using them by now with the available technology, as someone upthread mentioned. Just one occurrence of this should have been enough.

Found this article about filmakers who work with firearms and safety: https://theconversation.com/we-are-f...-safety-170455

John-Erik Hexum. That's the name of that actor in the 80's who I was trying to remember died:

In 1984, the actor Jon-Erik Hexums put a gun filled with blanks to his head, and, joking about delays to filming, he pulled the trigger. The force of the wadding was enough to fatally injure him.
    HWBL and ivey.girl like this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

This is just so awful. That poor woman. But yeah, I feel for Alec. He'll carry this for the rest of his life. The stupid news channels are saying "no charges have been filed" as if it were anything but a tragic accident. He doesn't deserve that. If anything, the negligence is on whomever is responsible for these prop guns. I agree they should just be outlawed altogether.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

I just read that the gun had a live round in it! Somebody was very negligent here. I agree they should use fake guns and add in whatever effects afterwards.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ew-Mexico.html

If a prop gun had a live round in it, that’s incredibly negligent. That should never happen. There shouldn’t even be live rounds on a film set.

I feel terrible for all involved.

CNN has an article that names Michale Masse was the person who accidentally shot Brandon Lee. The last two paragraphs are quotes from Masse and sounds like he was devastated by what happened.

Alec may be a hot head, but he's not a reckless killer. This is a horrific accident and I feel terrible for her family, she was so young.
    ivey.girl, Daphodil and Honeythorn like this.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information