Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: New Brittany Murphy doc reveals details on death, con artist husband

Default New Brittany Murphy doc reveals details on death, con artist husband

New Brittany Murphy doc reveals details on death, con artist husband.

On a Sunday morning in December of 2009, Brittany Murphy suddenly collapsed in the bathroom of the West Hollywood home she shared with her husband, Simon Monjack. Later that morning, the petite, doe-eyed actress was taken to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, where she was soon pronounced dead. Authorities initially said that the 32-year-old died from a lethal combination of pneumonia and prescription drugs, but a new two-part documentary delves deeper into the mysterious, nefarious circumstances around her tragic death and her troubled relationship with Monjack.
    Premiering Oct. 14 on HBO Max, “What Happened, Brittany Murphy?” looks at how Murphy went from one of her generation’s most promising young stars, with memorable turns in films such as “Clueless” and “Girl, Interrupted,” to one of Hollywood’s darkest tragedies.

In the documentary, reporter Amber Ryland recalls getting an exclusive interview with Monjack shortly after Murphy’s death. “It was in the back of my mind, ‘Am I sitting with a murderer?’” she says. “’Could he have killed his wife?’”
    HBO’s new documentary examines Brittany Murphy’s disturbing relationship with her husband, Simon Monjack, and their eerie deaths. Anthony Dixon WENNBrittany Murphy was born in Atlanta in 1977. Her father was in and out of prison, and she was raised by her mother, Sharon Murphy. She started studying performance and dance at age 5. By her teens, she was a successful working actress, scoring roles on “Murphy Brown,” “Sister, Sister,” “Boy Meets World” and many other TV show of the time.
    Murphy’s breakout came in 1995’s “Clueless,” playing Alicia Silverstone’s hilarious sidekick Tai. Acclaimed turns in films such as “Girl, Interrupted,” “8 Mile” and “Sin City” followed — as did high-profile romances with musicians Eminem and Fred Durst, actor Ashton Kutcher and producer Jeff Kwatinetz. But, her bright future dimmed when she coupled up with Monjack, a struggling British screenwriter seven years her senior who had money problems, sketchy past romances and a troubled relationship with the law and immigration officials.
    Brittany Murphy with Simon Monjack a month after they married in April 2007. It was a toxic relationship that contributed to her tragic end, according to friends and family in a new documentary.Dave Allocca/Starpix/ShutterstocThe two reportedly started dating in 2006 and things quickly got serious. Friends and acquaintances believe the actress — vulnerable, too-trusting and eager to settle down — got bamboozled by a con artist.
    Was Simon Monjack a con artist? HBO’s new Brittany Murphy documentary looks into his past.
    “[People] were scared and freaked out. Like, who was this guy and what was happening?” Murphy’s “King of the Hill” co-star Kathy Najimy, recalls in the doc. “She wanted to marry him, and I said, ‘Honey, it’s not been long enough.’ ”
    Filmmaker Allison Burnett recalls first meeting Monjack at a dinner party in 1999 where he lied about owning 17 Ferraris, dating Madonna and surviving terminal brain cancer thanks to an experimental treatment involving shark fins. It was apparent, Burnett says, that he was using the woman he was dating at the time for her money. Years later, when Burnett saw that he was involved with Murphy, he was horrified.
    “I couldn’t believe that this bottom feeding sociopath had actually worked his way up the food chain to someone who’s actually a legitimate artist,” the filmmaker says in the show.
    Burnett went so far as to call her agency, trying to get them to stress to Murphy that Monjack was a compulsive liar, but, he says, “The word coming back was that her manager had tried [doing that] and had gotten fired as a result.”
    Despite the many concerned people, Murphy wed Monjack in 2007. Monjack reportedly went to great efforts to conceal his shady past from his new bride.
    Rising Hollywood starlet Brittany Murphy in 2006, the year she struck up her ill-fated relationship with Simon Monjack.Tracey Nearmy/EPA/ShutterstockElizabeth Ragland was engaged to him before he was involved with Murphy and says he manipulated and isolated her, claiming he had cancer so that she’d get pregnant, then refusing to get her medical help when she needed it. In the documentary, Ragland says that he threatened to take away their son if she revealed herself to Murphy.
    “The stakes were a lot higher with him being married to Brittany,” she says. “He didn’t need anybody to know that I was out there with his son. I know why Brittany chose Simon. He worked his spell on her and she fell for it, like I did.”
    Murphy’s once-thriving career slowed after the marriage, as rumors swirled around town that Monjack made it difficult to work with her.
    Alex Merkin, who directed Murphy in the 2009 film “Across the Hall,” talks in the doc of red flags such as Monjack seeming “out of it” and Murphy exhibiting “Jekyll and Hyde” behavior.
    “Brittany would come to set and be in a really good space, and then I would see her go off with Simon,” he says. “When she came back, I felt a stark change in her mood.”
    Others recall Murphy, once known for her adorable rounded features, looking increasingly thin and drawn.
    A young Brittany Murphy captivated audiences with her breakout role in 1995’s “Clueless,” playing Alicia Silverstone’s hilarious sidekick Tai.“She wasn’t herself. She was in so much pain,” makeup artist Trista Jordan, who worked on what would be Murphy’s final film, “Something Wicked,” says in the doc. “[Her eyes] were so sunken, and she just seemed so sad.”
    “I didn’t recognize her anymore,” adds Najimy. “Brittany was cloudy and gone.”
    Ragland says her weight loss may have been brought about by Monjack, who “loved anorexic women.”
    Ed Winter, the coroner who handled Murphy’s case, and medical examiner Lisa Scheinin speculate that tragedy might have been avoided if someone had taken Murphy to the hospital in the days leading up to her death.
    HBO Max’s new documentary examines Brittany Murphy’s tragic and shocking passing, and her life. Tracey Nearmy/EPA/Shutterstock“The cause of death is not a mystery. The mystery is, why didn’t somebody catch it? Had they taken her to the doctor a few days before, she would still be alive,” says Winter, who adds that he received information that Monjack made a habit of keeping Murphy up late into the night, to devastating effect.
    “She wasn’t getting enough rest and her immune system was dropping,” he says.
    Ragland believes her ex is guilty.
    “Even if he did not kill Brittany Murphy, he allowed her to die because he did not get her to the doctor and get her help,” she says.
    Brittany Murphy found success early, with stints on shows such as “Sister Sister” and “Boy Meets World.” Friends and co-stars say she was bubbly and kind. After Murphy’s death, things got more bizarre. Monjack attempted to prevent an autopsy on her and asked his late wife’s contacts for thousands of dollars for a “foundation” in her honor.
    Murphy’s mother Sharon had lived with the couple and continued living with Monjack after her daughter’s death. When Ryland visited the home, she says it appeared the two were sharing a bed and the older woman behaved quite oddly.
    “She acted submissive with him, which I noticed, and it struck a chord. [I wondered] ‘What happens when no one is here, how do they act when no one is here?’” she recalls.
    Brittany Murphy went blonde as she tried to shape herself into what Hollywood in the early 2000s wanted, according to a new documentary about the star’s life and death. Cliff Watts / trunkarchive.comThen, in May 2010, just five months after Murphy’s death, Monjack died at the age of 40, also seemingly due to pneumonia — and, possibly, drugs.
    “On Simon’s side of the nightstand, we found approximately 90 prescription bottles, with several different names, which is highly unusual,” recalls Winter of a subsequent investigation. “We also found prescription bottles in Brittany’s name and ‘Lola Manilow,’ [which was] possibly an alias.”
    Conspiracy theories abound. Murphy’s estranged father, Angelo Bertolotti, claimed his daughter had been poisoned. At the time, Sharon attributed the young couple’s death to mold in their mansion. But medical examiner Scheinin said she saw no evidence of that being the case.
    Ragland thinks Monjack might have preferred death over the truth being revealed.
    She says: “He would rather be dead than to be discovered as the con artist he was.”

https://nypost.com/2021/10/11/what-h...g-new-details/
    Lofty Bike and Sarzy like this.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

I still don't understand why she died exactly. But I guess being married to that sleezeball was a major factor.
    But then, wasn't her mother shady AF, too?

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lofty Bike View Post
    I still don't understand why she died exactly. But I guess being married to that sleezeball was a major factor.
    But then, wasn't her mother shady AF, too?
    She died of pneumonia combined with drug intoxication and anemia. It was reported she was ill for about 6 weeks before she passed.

I never really understood the fascination with her death. It seems clear to me that she was this insecure sheep of a person who let whatever man she had at the time dictate her life and ultimately it lead to her death.

Obviously her husband was a total slimeball, just look at him!!! And I recall there being information that she was sick for a few weeks, he didn't give her access to care, I think there were rumors that she wasn't even speaking to her family (probably on his accord) - there weren't people around (again he probably kept her isolated) to intervene and thus she passed away. She was 100 lbs soaking wet, she probably didn't take good care of herself so an illness like pneumonia with a combo of whatever drugs can easily take someone out.

As for his death, I think it was karma he too got pneumonia, but I also think he was obsessed with her/had his dirty secrets/knew people were sideyeing him and he probably helped move things along with his 90+ medication collection and good riddance.

It's unfortunate she passed away so young and it clearly was an unnecessary death but how many docs/movies do we need about it?

^^^^
    yeah I mean poor girl and it’s a tragedy and all that but I also don’t get the degree of fascination. There’s no mystery or conspiracy. I wonder if part of it has to do with the fact there’s no 100% established cause of death but I don’t think so because the level of fascination and attention around her death started before the autopsy results were published. It’s also not like she was this huge star I mean she was famous but not like she was the Meryl of her generation.
    o0Amber0o and DawnM74 like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^^^I agree about the sheep part, she was described as super nice and fun, but also as pretty weak. I once read her mother said that there was some sort of mold in their house that caused lung damage. It's possible that the mother was also in a relationship with the slimebag by the time of his death, so I guess being surrounding by super creepy people was Brittany's fate.
    DawnM74 likes this.

Didn’t her mother live with them and she continued to live with him after Brit died? Also, and I might be remembering incorrectly but I thought I had read something about Mold in the house.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

The ID channel did a documentary awhile back which I watched, and there was really nothing new. Bottom line, she hooked up with a con man who controlled her life, she did too many drugs, she was anemic and she was basically starving herself. Then she got pneumonia. Her mother was living there too, so really the only mystery is why no one in that house had the good sense to get her to a hospital. Also, the relationship between the mother and husband after her death was way creepy, and his death was kinda shocking, but he was doing tons of drugs too. I really doubt another rehash is necessary.

eta didn't see your post Shellee, and yeah he continued to live there with the mother and they supposedly slept in the same bed. The mother said something about mold at one point but I don't think anything was ever proven.
    Last edited by Trixie; October 11th, 2021 at 02:22 PM.
    SHELLEE, HWBL, sputnik and 2 others like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Well the fascination is the same as most famous stories involving con men: the astounding degree to which Monjack got a famous actress to believe obvious lies, plus that shady shit with her mother (Her OWN mother was sleeping with him, is what everything points to). Add in drugs, the blocked autopsy and other misdirection from Monjack and there you go. Just a big ol Hollywood ESCANDALO cocktail.

It's just endlessly confounding and almost unbelievable that someone with her status and access to resources FELL for this con.

Elite Member

Fun fact: she bought the house from Brittney Spears.

Is the mom still alive?

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Is the mom still alive?
    Brittany Murphy's Mom, Sharon Murphy, No Longer Speaks Publicly on Her Case (EXCLUSIVE)

By Sara BelcherMay. 26 2020, Updated 8:13 p.m. ET
    Brittany Murphy's unexpected death has continued to confuse fans, who struggle to accept that, at only 32, the rising star died suddenly of pneumonia. Her death was thrown into an even larger spotlight when her husband, Simon Monjack, died only five months later.

Brittany's father, Angelo Bertolotti, struggled to accept that his daughter died of natural causes, which is why he requested that her death be investigated further. He believed Brittany had been poisoned, and when he asked that another autopsy be done, Brittany's mother, Sharon Murphy, refused.

A new documentary from Discovery details the allegations of what really happened to the actress and features Angelo's last public interview on his daughter's death. There are a lot of questions that remain about Brittany's death — especially what happened to Brittany's mom, Sharon.
    Dr. Cyril Wecht, a well-established forensic pathologist and medical-legal consultant, corresponded with Angelo on Brittany's death and spoke with Distractify about Angelo's claims.

What happened to Sharon Murphy?

It was frequently questioned as to whether or not Sharon had anything to do with Brittany's death — and Simon's death so soon after Brittany's only continued to throw this question into the light. But Dr. Wecht doesn't believe Sharon had anything to do with Brittany's death.

"I don't believe [Brittany and Simon's deaths] are connected in the sense that someone murdered them. I don't think they're connected in the sense that Simon Monjack murdered his wife and then committed suicide. I had no reason to believe that. I don't believe Sharon Murphy killed her daughter and then her son-in-law. I don't believe any of that. No, not at all," Dr. Wecht said.
    He said he fully believes both of them had underlying health issues that continuously went untreated, which was what led to their respective deaths.

But where is Sharon now?
    One of the potential causes of death that was investigated included the potential presence of a certain kind of mold in Brittany's home. While there was no mold found in the home to suggest that was the cause of either Brittany or Simon's deaths, Sharon sued her attornies in 2011, alleging they had wrongfully advised her to accept a settlement from the home's builders over undisclosed defects. She dropped this lawsuit two years later.

Also in 2011, Sharon sold the home for $2.7 million.
    She continued to deny she had any involvement in Brittany's death and stopped responding to questions and reports about it after a 2013 letter she wrote for The Hollywood Reporter.

"I have no choice now but to come forward in the face of inexcusable efforts to smear my daughter's memory by a man who may be her biological father but was never a real father to her in her lifetime," Sharon wrote. "Angelo Bertolotti has relocated to California in his old age to claim he is here for Brittany, as he never was in life. He has made outrageous statements over the past few years, culminating in this latest madness: that my darling daughter was murdered."

She continued to defend her innocence, and stated that she's satisfied with the outcome of the investigation.
    "We will never know for sure," she wrote. "However, we do know the Los Angeles County Coroner did extensive tests and found that she died of natural causes. And now she is a real living angel in heaven."
    Brittany Murphy: an ID Mystery airs on Discovery at 9 p.m. ET on May 26.

https://www.distractify.com/p/what-h...ny-murphys-mom
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I'm one of those who is "fascinated" by this case. I don't think it came as a surprise that Brittany died young, she seemed frail and naive, and also not well in general. I always had a soft spot for her, but when she started dating that Monjack guy I kinda knew it would be a downward spiral from there. You just knew he was bad news. But putting that aside, her husband living with her mother, sharing a bed after Brittany died? Only to then dying the same way as her only a few months later? And I think it was her father that tested her hair in a lab where they found traces of rat poison. But I don't think he could prove anything with it, as it was only one strand of hair, but however he thought she was being poisoned until he died.
    The whole story is just bizarre. Even if it was a coincidence that both died of the same causes, it's just... weird.
    -

Silver Member

I think her death was clearly complications from her anorexia. How her mother, who lived with her, allowed her daughter to starve herself to death is beyond unfathomable.

i think the poor girl had only ever had unhealthy, co-dependent relationships with enablers who didn't do anything about her massive eating disorder, or even contributed to it since the mom pushed her daughter to get famous and monjack actively encouraged her to lose weight.
    fgg and weathered1 like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information