Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Is anyone going to stick up for ScarJo?

Default Is anyone going to stick up for ScarJo?

If what she is saying is accurate, it sounds like she is straight up getting railroaded over her contract with Disney. She says the promised a theatrical release of "Black Widow" before they put it on their streaming channel. Her deal with Disney apparently guaranteed a percentage of the box office. But it was simultaneously released on streaming anyway. And now, they are releasing press statements making it sound like she is heartless (COVID-19 risks) for taking them to court for what she says is a straight breach of contract.

Is anyone prominent in Hollywood standing behind her? I haven't seen it.

Sorry, Disney isn't an enemy I'd want as a working actress. Especially when they've filled her pockets with quite a lot to date.

I also find it hard to believe there isn't something in the contract that protects them in the event that they were unable to release it theatrically. Pandemic or not the theater industry has been quite volatile over the past handful of years.
    C_is_for_Cookie, fgg and DawnM74 like this.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

Elite Member

Whether she's in the right or not, I find it hard to sympathize with an actress who has made millions to be bitching about not making millions more right now. It's a little tone deaf given there are still people suffering because of COVID.

That being said, it sucks that Disney will make bank on this b/c they'll profit either way and she only gets box office $. I think the theater industry is going to be permanently changed because of this and future contracts will include some kind of streaming provision... or maybe getting any cut of release will be a thing of the past and actors will have to be content with they millions they're paid to act.

The entertainment industry is so overstuffed. The millions that are passed around is really ridiculous. Don't get me started on pro sports

BTW -- my son and I went to see Black Widow at the theater today. It was sooooo weird being back in a theater. Dead quiet. One person working concessions. Only 6 total people in our showing. Decent summer fluff, but I would have made some changes. Florence Pugh is good in it. I really like her. She's a very good actress.

Apropos of nothing, Disney has done well during the last two years with new subscriptions due to pandemic and shows like Mandalorian, WandaVision, and Loki, plus a bunch of other movies I don't remember because they're not in my wheelhouse.

I'd say she's probably got a case, but that doesn't mean she won't have repercussions for bringing it forward. I'd bring up the sexism card here, but I'll wait about 7 years and then it'll be obvious.

She’s right legally & Disney & Marvel is wrong.
    Her agent apparently tried to renegotiate given that it was likely to be a streaming release (pandemic).

Having said that it’s all a little tasteless & tone-deaf from all parties. I’m sorry that ScarJo doesn’t get her $50m because *pandemic* but I’m sure Disney are raking it in via their streaming service & could have come to an agreement.

She’ll need the $50m to live on when Disney blacklist her for future films….

In a March 2019 email included in court papers, Marvel chief counsel Dave Galluzzi wrote that the release would be according to a traditional theatrical model, adding, “We understand that should the plan change, we would need to discuss this with you and come to an understanding as the deal is based on a series of (very large) box office bonuses.”
    The suit claims that Johansson tried to renegotiate her contract but Disney and Marvel were not responsive.AP“Black Widow” grossed just over $80 million at the domestic box office during its July 9 opening weekend and $78 million overseas, ticket sales tracker Box Office Mojo said. At the time, the notoriously tight-lipped Disney reported that the flick garnered another $60 million from $30 at-home purchases on Disney+, which was a coup for the company.
    Since then, “Black Widow’s” box office sales have slowed, and it has reeled in just under $158 million domestically and about $160 million overseas.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Does this mean we'll get to see her in real films again instead of big production crappy blockbusters?

Good.
    crayzeehappee, mostroop and dowcat like this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

If she wins there will be repercussions for others who don't get a cut in streaming profits. I'm not a fan of hers but Disney is greedy also they're screwing authors who have written tv tie ins. Alan Dean Foster who wrote the Alien novelisation was screwed when Disney bought the rights via 20th century Fox. They told him they won't pay for his royalties because it was an adaptation tie in which is ridiculous and wanted him to sign an NDA.

But “traditional” film & tv pays royalties for repeats “per play”. ( it’s how people like David Hasselhoff etc got so rich)
    So why not streaming services? The difference will be that it will have more accurate viewing figures as Netflix/Amazon/etc know what you watch.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

czb

i don't care if it's tone deaf. a contract is a contract.

if scar jo didn't keep her end of it, she would be skewered. so good luck to her.

Big picture, people. This isn’t just about scarjo and whether or not she’s tone deaf or likable. This could protect artists who aren’t worth nearly as much as scarjo and who don’t have her clout, and hopefully stop them getting fucked over by the industry abandoning the traditional box office format, like so many musicians did when people started streaming instead of buying singles and albums.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Not only is she in the right, but several other stars, like Emma Stone, are considering filing suit as well. I doubt Emma will though because Cruella 2 is in the works.

https://cosmicbook.news/emma-stone-e...unt-sue-disney
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Emily Blunt is mentioned in there, too.

If they violated the terms of their contract I'd say she has a case. Regardless of how tone deaf it might appear, if you sign a contract over work and the other party changes their side in order to not pay as much she has every right to sue. Especially since it seems like Disney DID renegotiate the contracts of other stars but refused her.
    mostroop and lindsaywhit like this.

czb

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    Big picture, people. This isn’t just about scarjo and whether or not she’s tone deaf or likable. This could protect artists who aren’t worth nearly as much as scarjo and who don’t have her clout, and hopefully stop them getting fucked over by the industry abandoning the traditional box office format, like so many musicians did when people started streaming instead of buying singles and albums.
    but that's the thing.

women are judged as likable. men are judged as savvy.

remember when demi moore, sarah jessica, and others wouldn't sign on to a project until their terms were met? they were painted in the media as greedy or prima donnas.

dudes do that and they are lauded.

Team Scarjo.
    czb, Tati, MohandasKGanja and 3 others like this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information