• 3 Post By SHELLEE
  • 3 Post By tulip
  • 2 Post By MohandasKGanja
  • 2 Post By Chalet
  • 1 Post By MohandasKGanja

Thread: Actor George Segal dead at 87

Default Actor George Segal dead at 87

Source: CNN

Actor George Segal has died at age 87 after complications during surgery, his wife says

(CNN)George Segal, the prolific actor with a career that spanned more than six decades, has died at age 87, his wife said Tuesday.

"The family is devastated to announce that this morning George Segal passed away due to complications from bypass surgery," Sonia Segal said in a statement provided by Sony Television.
    Segal was a native of Long Island, New York and his acting credits range from "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" in 1966, for which he received an Oscar nomination and "A Touch of Class" in 1973.

By the 1970s, he often played wry leading men in films such as "The Duchess and the Dirtwater Fox," and "Fun with Dick and Jane." In the 90s, Segal was becoming better known for television roles, including as the slightly daft fashion magazine owner Jack Gallo in "Just Shoot Me!"

In 2013, producer Adam F. Goldberg cast Segal as the Jewish family patriarch Albert "Pops" Solomon in his semi-autobiographical series, "The Goldbergs."
    "By pure fate, I ended up casting the perfect person to play Pops," Goldberg said on Twitter on Tuesday. "Just like my grandfather, George was a kid at heart with a magical spark."

His agent, Abe Hoch described Segal as his close friend and client.
    "I will miss his warmth, humor, camaraderie and friendship. He was a wonderful human," he said in a statement provided by Sony.

CNN's Seán Federico O'Murchú contributed to this report.

Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Source: Variety

George Segal, ‘Goldbergs’ Star and Oscar Nominee, Dies at 87

George Segal
    , whose long career included playing Albert “Pops” Solomon on “The Goldbergs,” and garnering an Oscar nom for supporting actor for “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf,” died Tuesday. He was 87.His wife Sonia announced his death, saying, “The family is devastated to announce that this morning George Segal passed away due to complications from bypass surgery.”
    Segal’s longtime manager Abe Hoch said, “I am saddened by the fact that my close friend and client of many years has passed away. I will miss his warmth, humor, camaraderie and friendship. He was a wonderful human.”
    Some of the top directors of the 1960s and ’70s, including Robert Altman, Mike Nichols, Paul Mazursky and Sidney Lumet cast Segal for his gently humorous everyman quality, and he often played an unlucky-in-love professional or a writer who gets in over his head.

In Nichols’ 1967 Edward Albee adaptation “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?,” Segal played a college professor who gets caught up in an evening of psychological mindgames with Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor. The film was nominated for 13 Oscars, including Segal’s for supporting actor, and won five.
    Segal appeared in all eight seasons of ABC sitcom “The Goldbergs” as the grandfather of the clan based on creator Adam F. Goldberg’s family.
    The genial actor was a staple of films of the late 1960s and ’70s such as “Bye Bye Braverman,” “A Touch of Class,” “The Hot Rock” and “Fun With Dick and Jane.” Other notable credits during this period included the romantic comedy “The Owl and the Pussycat,” in which he co-starred with Barbra Streisand, “Loving,” “Who Is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe?” “The Terminal Man” and “The Black Bird.”
    He starred as an attorney in Carl Reiner’s comedy “Where’s Poppa?,” with Ruth Gordon as his addled mother, and played another lawyer in Mazursky’s “Blume in Love.” In Altman’s “California Split,” he co-starred with Elliot Gould as a man falling into a gambling addiction.
    He also had recurring roles on “Just Shoot Me!.” “Murphy’s Law” and “Take Five.”
    Born in Great Neck, N.Y., Segal studied at the Actor’s Studio and appeared on Broadway in shows including “Gideon” and “Rattle of a Simple Man.”
    After being signed by Columbia Pictures, he had his first film role in “The Young Doctors.” After several television appearances, he won his first major film role in Stanley Kramer’s “Ship of Fools” and then appeared in “King Rat.” He also starred in several acclaimed films for television, including “Of Mice and Men,” “Death of a Salesman” and “The Desperate Hours.”
    He enjoyed playing the ukulele and the banjo, making an album of banjo music with his band The Imperial Jazz Band and performing on “The Tonight Show” as well as in several of his film and television roles.
    After a slower period in the 1980s in which he appeared in a few popular films such as “Look Who’s Talking,” a new generation of directors showed interest in Segal as a character actor, and he appeared in Gus Van Sant’s “To Die For,” David O. Russell’s “Flirting With Disaster” and Ben Stiller’s “The Cable Guy.” On “Entourage,” Segal played the veteran manager Murray Berenson.

***** celeb

Awww RIP
    i loved him in everything I ever saw him in. And Just shoot me was such a funny show.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

This one truly devastates me. I loved him in Just Shoot Me and I love him now on The Goldbergs. I watch the reruns most nights from 6-7 on the CW and tonight I'll be heartbroken. RIP.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Elite Member

Such a great actor. It was wonderful seeing him in the Goldbergs at such an advanced age. I loved Pops.

I am very sad about this one.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    Awww RIP
    i loved him in everything I ever saw him in. And Just shoot me was such a funny show.
    Watching George Segal was like putting on one of your favorite sweaters. Comforting and familiar. Just Shoot Me was great. Huuuuuuuuuuge crush on Laura San Giacomo!
    HWBL and louiswinthorpe111 like this.

***** celeb

Awww, he was a great actor and such a long and storied career, as they say. I always liked him. I loved Just Shoot Me too, especially Wendie Malick.

But there was a movie he made in the 70s which stuck with me, and not in a good way. I had seen it when it first came out and I remembered liking it, and then watched it on cable years later with a much different response. It's called Blume in Love, directed by Paul Mazursky. Segal plays a guy who is caught in the act of cheating on his wife (Susan Anspach) and they get divorced. She ends up with Kris Kristofferson, living a hippie life, and Blume is doing everything he can to get her back, including befriending her boyfriend. One night they are alone at bf's house and Blume puts the moves on her, she says no no no and he ends up raping her on the floor.(!) She gets pregnant, and at the end, they get back together!!! Some romantic comedy! Sheesh.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Awww, he was a great actor and such a long and storied career, as they say. I always liked him. I loved Just Shoot Me too, especially Wendie Malick.

But there was a movie he made in the 70s which stuck with me, and not in a good way. I had seen it when it first came out and I remembered liking it, and then watched it on cable years later with a much different response. It's called Blume in Love, directed by Paul Mazursky. Segal plays a guy who is caught in the act of cheating on his wife (Susan Anspach) and they get divorced. She ends up with Kris Kristofferson, living a hippie life, and Blume is doing everything he can to get her back, including befriending her boyfriend. One night they are alone at bf's house and Blume puts the moves on her, she says no no no and he ends up raping her on the floor.(!) She gets pregnant, and at the end, they get back together!!! Some romantic comedy! Sheesh.
    Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post

Very sad too. I'm kind of glad to see he was well loved by different age groups here. A consistently great and diverse actor. He was a few years older than my Dad, but all those actors from that time remind me of him. They were the hot guys in the 60's an 70s in their 30's. Blume in Love! I just watched it a couple of months ago. Him walking around Venice and that ending, so great. Also A Touch of Class with Glenda Jackson. Their chemistry was great.

I have a little story from my childhood. Divorced Dad Sundays were often movie days, that's how I got my love for films. Dad and I went to see Napoleon & Samantha with Jodie Foster and Michael Douglas, Dad was looking at the people sitting down. He taps my shoulder and whispers "remember that movie we saw a few months ago? The Hot Rock? One of the actors is sitting behind us" Had it been Redford, he would have just said Redford because I crushed on him, but it was George so I turned around and stared. He was probably with his daughter and her friend. My first ever in person movie star. Dad turned around too and said something to him probably like we enjoyed The Hot Rock. I did not want Dad to talk and embarrass me but Mr. Segal was so cute, he must have said thank you.

Another funny and totally ridiculous movie is Bye Bye Braverman. Four friends ride around NY looking for the funeral of their friend directed by Sidney Lumet. Lots of old timers and a young Jessica Walter.

George was on Johnny Carson 47 times. He played the banjo and they barbed each other. Great sense of humor. I lived for that stuff. Bye, George. Rest in peace.

SHELLEE and MohandasKGanja like this.

^^^ Two Georges! (Carlin is back there...)
    SHELLEE likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Very sad too. I'm kind of glad to see he was well loved by different age groups here. A consistently great and diverse actor. He was a few years older than my Dad, but all those actors from that time remind me of him. They were the hot guys in the 60's an 70s in their 30's. Blume in Love! I just watched it a couple of months ago. Him walking around Venice and that ending, so great. Also A Touch of Class with Glenda Jackson. Their chemistry was great.
    It was a great ending but the rape killed it for me on a later watching. Really, did they have to have him rape her, get her pregnant and make Kris Kristofferson cry? Grrrrr. If they made it consensual I would feel better about it. But then, I would've stayed with Kris Kristofferson. I really liked Susan Anspach too, then there was all that crazy stuff with her and Jack Nicholson and the son he never acknowledged who people say looks just like him. These 70s people led such colorful lives!
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Darn, that's sad. He was great in pretty much every movie/show he played in.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Aww. I loved him. He was great in everything.
    Count me in as another who loved him in Just Shoot Me. Great show.

Heck, I even loved him in Look Who's Talking.

czb

i have a good memory of watching A Touch of Class with my dad.

Thread Information