Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Glenn Close admits Paltrow's Oscar win for Shakespeare in Love 'didn't make sense'

Default Glenn Close admits Paltrow's Oscar win for Shakespeare in Love 'didn't make sense'

Glenn Close admits Gwyneth Paltrow's Oscar win for Shakespeare in Love 'didn't make sense' to her

"I thought, 'What?'"

BY CHRIS EDWARDS
    29/11/2020

Glenn Close has admitted that Gwyneth Paltrow's 1999 Oscar win for Shakespeare in Love 'didn't make sense' to her.

Appearing on ABC News' Popcorn with Peter Travers to promote her new Netflix movie Hillbilly Elegy, the multiple Oscar nominee shared her thoughts on entertainment industry awards and why she doesn't see the logic in comparing performances.

[IMG]https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/glenn-close-1551099950.jpg?crop=1.00xw:0.667xh;0,0.0148xh&resi ze=480:*[/IMG]

Citing Paltrow's Oscar-winning performance as Viola De Lesseps in Shakespeare in Love as a prime example, she said: "I've never understood how you could honestly compare performances.

"I remember the year Gwyneth Paltrow won over that incredible actress who was in Central Station. I thought, 'What? It doesn't make sense.'

[IMG]https://hips.hearstapps.com/digitalspyuk.cdnds.net/16/08/1456413428-gettyimages-51604718-master.jpg?crop=1.00xw:0.645xh;0,0.0198xh&resize=4 80:*[/IMG]

"So I think who wins has a lot of things to do with... whether it has traction or whatever. Publicity, how much money did they have to put it out in front of everybody's sight."

Paltrow beat fellow nominees Cate Blanchett, Meryl Streep, Emily Watson and Fernanda Montenegro (the actress from Central Station mentioned by Close).

[IMG]https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/hillbilly-elegy-glenn-close-amy-adams-1606216543.jpg?resize=480:*[/IMG]

Close has been nominated for an Oscar seven times, but if she gets the nod for Hillbilly Elegy (in spite of the film being universally panned by critics), she fears she won't get to celebrate it properly due to the ongoing pandemic.

"It's so sad if it happens when we're all unable to celebrate in a room together," she told Travers. "I mean, that would be ironic, but that's what life does, right?"

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/os...llbilly-elegy/

She got an Oscar because she blew Harvey. End of.

But I love it.

And agree.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by MsDark View Post

But I love it.

And agree.
    I never said she swallowed!!!
    dexter7 and Lofty Bike like this.

What about it was a result of nepotism? Her family already was established in the industry and her godfather is freaking Steven Spielberg!

I don't think she was terrible in the role but Oscar worthy is debatable. Didn't she snatch the script from Winona?
    czb, Kittylady and Grandknight like this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

I did not watch all of the performances nominated that year but did see Cate Blanchett's. Now that was Oscar worthy!
    crayzeehappee, Angeli and MsDark like this.

She's not the only one whose Oscar doesn't make sense - and some very popular movie always get snubbed even though actors are fantastic in them
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

Aside from joking, I'm pretty sure that Gwyneth was far too well connected in Hollywood for Weinstein to even try (good for her, noone ever deserved to go through that hell). Nepotism is far more likely.
    MohandasKGanja and sputnik like this.

^i've read an article about her and Weinstein, he was he was obsessed with her.
    and it also credited her about a lot of women coming forward to give their testimonies about what a pig he was after hearing she was involved.

i think goopy is insufferable but this was amazing of her.

here it is: https://www.npr.org/2019/09/10/75938...cted-weinstein

GROSS: I want to ask you about Gwyneth Paltrow's role in all of this. She wouldn't talk to you on the record for your first story. But she helped you find other women who had been sexually harassed or assaulted by Harvey Weinstein. So tell us a little bit about what her story was and why she didn't want to talk with you on the record.

KANTOR: So to our surprise, Gwyneth Paltrow had a really powerful story of sexual harassment by Harvey Weinstein and of being threatened when her first really important roles were on the line. And early on in the investigation, when almost nobody in Hollywood would talk to us, she did. And she even tried to help us find other women. But she was very scared to go on the record. And it became clear, in the course of the investigation, that Harvey Weinstein was obsessed with the question of whether or not we were speaking to Paltrow.

He showed up at a party at her house early. She called us from the bathroom completely panicked. In the sort of series of final confrontations about the story that took place at the New York Times, Weinstein kept hammering us. Are you talking to Gwyneth? Is Gwyneth in the story? And at that point, she was still a totally secret source. And we couldn't figure out why he was so obsessed with something that wasn't even part of the story. The answer only became clear over a course of weeks and months after we broke the story.

As more and more Weinstein victims came forward, they said publicly, they told us and they even told Paltrow that what Weinstein had said to them, in the course of harassing or assaulting them, was essentially, don't you want what Gwyneth has? Meaning, he was implying to them that she had slept with him and that this was the bargain of sex to - sex for work, right? If you go along with this, you can have the Oscar, the wealth, the fame, the golden girl status.

So essentially, what we - two things happened. First of all, Paltrow was very, very upset to learn this. Not only had she never sexually succumbed to Weinstein, but she was so horrified to find out that she had been used, essentially, as a tool of predation. She spent a long time on the phone in the fall of 2017 with other Weinstein victims coming to terms with the way he had used her and with feeling like she had somehow been used as an accessory in this.

But then the other thing we finally realized is that this was probably why he had been so obsessed with whether or not we were talking to Paltrow - because as soon as other women heard Paltrow's story and heard that she had never given in to him and that she had refused him, then they would understand so much more about the way his scheme worked and that it would all fall apart, in a sense.

^^^Oh shit!!! Somehow I must have forgotten this. I really thought that she was safe.
    Poor woman, how awful, being used like this. Now I still can't stand her, but I respect her more.

Thank you for posting this, palta.
    Brookie and palta like this.

I think Glenn Close must be getting senile to think that Fernanda Montenegra had the slightest chance of getting the Oscar over Paltrow. Or Blanchett, for that matter. Moreover, Paltrow got both the Golden Globes and the Screen Actors Guild awards that same year for a Female in a Leading Role for this movie. Paltrow wasn't the first choice for the role - it was Kate Winslet, who turned it down. Adding to why Paltrow (and the film itself) won Oscars, Weinstein was infamous for strong arming and relentlessly campaigning for his movies to get nominations and awards.

Elite Member

Wow. That story about Gwyneth is crazy. Yikes. Good for her for helping this come to light. He's such a scum.
    palta likes this.

the only thing worse than goop getting the oscar over blanchett, is 'crash' and 'gladiator' winning best picture.
    Novice likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    She got an Oscar because she blew Harvey. End of.
    Her performance was so average. I always laud an American actor who does foreign accents, but she left me unimpressed. Cate Blanchett was robbed that year.

But no doubt, Harvey got one of the best blowjobs ever.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet! Anonymous Introvert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information