Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree269Likes

Thread: Ellen Page comes out as transgender, will be called Elliot

fgg

Default Ellen Page comes out as transgender, will be called Elliot

Ellen Page is transgender and will now go by the name Elliot Page, he announced on social media Tuesday.

“I feel lucky to be writing this. To be here. To have arrived at this place in my life,” he wrote. “I feel overwhelming gratitude for the incredible people who have supported me along this journey. I can’t begin to express how remarkable it feels to finally love who I am enough to pursue my authentic self.”

Page, 33, said he will use he/they pronouns.

“The Umbrella Academy” star thanked the trans community for “courage, your generosity and ceaselessly working to make this world a more inclusive and compassionate place.”

Page admitted he was “scared” to come out as trans given the “invasiveness, the hate, the ‘jokes’ and of violence.”

“To be clear, I am not trying to dampen a moment that is joyous and one that I celebrate, but I want to address the full picture,” he continued.

Page called out political leaders who “work to criminalize trans health care” and said they had “blood on your hands.”

“I love that I am trans. And I love that I am queer,” he concluded his letter. “And the more I hold myself close and fully embrace who I am, the more I dream, the more my heart grows and the more I thrive.

“To all trans people who deal with harassment, self-loathing, abuse and the threat of violence every day: I see you, I love you and I will do everything I can to change this world for the better.”

Page, who is married to Emma Portner, came out as gay in February 2014.

https://pagesix.com/2020/12/01/ellen...called-elliot/
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Elite Member

Good for him.

But, he/they pronouns? Is that an either/or -- you can say he or they for Elliot? Or does it mean something different?

This is kind of bittersweet for me. I have always thought that Page was ridiculously cute ever since I saw "X-Men: Last Stand". But considering Page's clothes selection, I kind of felt like this might be coming.

Brookie and Angeli like this.

fgg

^i thought he'd long been out as a lesbian but maybe i'm misremembering.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

czb

^^^ yes, he was previously a lesbian.

TGs have a difficult time. i hope that elliot has support.
    fgg, C_is_for_Cookie and Lalasnake like this.

Is this the first time that an established actor has come out as trans? I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head.

Oh, good for him. His wife supports him, that is great, too. I wonder about the career he will have from now on. Hopefully he'll still get good parts.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    This is kind of bittersweet for me. I have always thought that Page was ridiculously cute ever since I saw "X-Men: Last Stand". But considering Page's clothes selection, I kind of felt like this might be coming.
    She was incredibly cute in Juno. (Using she, because she was still a she then )

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    ^i thought he'd long been out as a lesbian but maybe i'm misremembering.
    Yes, married to a woman since 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Is this the first time that an established actor has come out as trans? I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head.
    I can't think of any either. Laverne Cox came to mind, but she wasn't established, and she never acted as a man as far as I know. Ellen had many roles as a woman, I've got to wonder if it will be hard to get roles as a man.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Good for him.

But, he/they pronouns? Is that an either/or -- you can say he or they for Elliot? Or does it mean something different?
    Sometimes it means either/or in the neutral sense and other times it's used when a person either is gender fluid or identifies as both male and female.
    SHELLEE and GRuser1 like this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Quote Originally Posted by Lofty Bike View Post
    Oh, good for him. His wife supports him, that is great, too. I wonder about the career he will have from now on. Hopefully he'll still get good parts.
    Netflix has already tweeted their support so hopefully they will also continue to support Elliot as an actor in their casting choices.
    lindsaywhit, Daphodil, czb and 3 others like this.

forever youthful looking, i see elliot with a future of playing many many young men in movies and shows. or at least i hope so.
    Novice and Lalasnake like this.

Mazel tov! I'm curious how this will affect his Vanya role in The Umbrella Academy. I hope it won't interfere with his transitioning in the way that he prefers.

This is kind of difficult to decipher and interesting to think about. If EP is a lesbian but has gender reassignment surgery, then he will be a heterosexual male? And if EP identifies as Elliott without surgery, is EP still a lesbian?
    Froogy and pinkbunnyslippers like this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    This is kind of difficult to decipher and interesting to think about. If EP is a lesbian but has gender reassignment surgery, then he will be a heterosexual male? And if EP identifies as Elliott without surgery, is EP still a lesbian?
    I think he identifies as queer now. There's a lot of discussion right now in the lesbian community about gatekeeping & who gets to call themselves a lesbian. Since he now identifies as male, no matter what his genitals look like, the majority of the lesbian community would probably say he does not belong in the community. But, that could just be the more TERFy lesbians who would consider him a gender traitor.
    ConstanceSpry likes this.

Elite Member

I do find the identity piece confusing. There are so many variables. I don't ever want to misstep with it because I am a cisgender female. Not exactly sure what transgender queer is, but happy Elliot has found his identity.

Same with the pronoun thing -- I don't want to misstep. I understand matching he/she to gender identity. I understand they for non-binary. I know that it is now common to put your pronoun preference on your email signature, social media, etc. regardless of how you identify.

I feel like the identity words keep changing /expanding and I can't keep up. I hope this makes sense.
    czb, Froogy, Trixie and 4 others like this.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information