• 3 Post By Neptunia
  • 2 Post By ConstanceSpry
  • 1 Post By Novice
  • 2 Post By Chalet
  • 2 Post By Novice
  • 2 Post By Chalet

Thread: Geoffrey Palmer, TV and film actor, dies at 93

Default Geoffrey Palmer, TV and film actor, dies at 93

Actor Geoffrey Palmer, known for his roles in such sitcoms as Butterflies, As Time Goes By and The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, has died aged 93.

He died peacefully at home, his agent said.

Versatile and prolific, he was known and loved for his hangdog expression, lugubrious delivery and the often testy demeanour he gave to his characters.

As Time Goes By saw him star with Dame Judi Dench, a partnership they revived in Bond film Tomorrow Never Dies.

He also acted in Mrs Brown, again with Dench, and The Madness of King George.

His early television roles included appearances in The Army Game, The Saint and The Avengers and he went on to appear in Doctor Who and the Kipper and the Corpse episode of Fawlty Towers.

The Doctor Who programme listed the shows he had appeared in with a tribute on Twitter.

Broadcaster and author Gyles Brandreth said: "RIP Geoffrey Palmer - such a wonderful actor, such a lovely guy. Brilliant at his craft and just the best company: wickedly funny. He did everything he did so well. Thanks for all the happy memories Geoffrey: we'll cherish them as time goes by."

Baby Driver and Shaun of the Dead director Edgar Wright said he was "brilliantly funny".

Comedian Eddie Izzard added: "Very sad to hear that Geoffrey Palmer has left us. I was very excited to meet him once and then had the honour to act with him in the film Lost Christmas. His work will stay with us and through that he can live on forever. Good work Sir. Rest in peace."

Actress Annette Badland said: "He was such a gifted actor and enormously good company. We worked together several times, laughed a lot and he was kind and generous. I am much saddened. Love to his family. Sleep well Mr Palmer."

Reece Shearsmith from The League of Gentlemen described him an "immaculate singular actor", singling out his performance in Butterflies.

Palmer appeared in four series of the Carla Lane sitcom, in which he played the stuffy husband of Wendy Craig's Ria.

Yet it was his partnership with Dench in As Time Goes By for which he will perhaps be best remembered.

Geoffrey Palmer with Judi Dench in As Time Goes By

The BBC sitcom, about two former lovers who meet unexpectedly and later marry, ran from 1992 to 2005.

In 2018 Dame Judi described her co-star as "the naughtiest man I ever had the pleasure to work with" as she gave him a prize at that year's Oldie Awards.

Palmer's distinctive voice made him a popular choice for narration, audiobooks and adverts.

Actress Frances Barber remembered an occasion when he had queried a residuals payment he had received for the ubiquitous commercials.

"I just called my agent and said they've put too many 0's on the cheque," she recalled him saying. "After lunch he said 'Apparently they haven't'. His face didn't change."

In his later years Palmer was seen in Paddington, Parade's End and W.E, in which he was directed by pop star Madonna.

He was made an OBE in 2004 for services to drama.

Palmer, a keen fly fisherman, campaigned against the HS2 railway line, the proposed route of which ran close to his home in the Chilterns.

"Stop this vanity project and leave our countryside alone," he told then-PM David Cameron in a 2013 video filmed for the Daily Politics show.

"I am not grumpy," he once said of his distinctively jowly features. "I just look this way."

He is survived by his wife Sally Green, with whom he had a daughter and a son.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-54838209

I LOVED him in As Time Goes By and I remember our local PBS station playing Butterflies in the 90's and it was great too.

He was wonderful in a show called, Reckless in the 90's, the sequel he played the dad and thoroughly disliked his crybaby son played by Michael Kitchen.

93 though and died peacefully at home what a lovely way to go.

I couldn't place the name, but I recognized his face right away. Saw him recently as the FIL of Rev., he was great.
    Labelwhore and twitchy2.0 like this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Same here! Didn't recognize the name, but I loved As Time Goes By so I knew the face immediately. RIP
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

RIP. I enjoyed quite a few of the shows he was in

Oh fuck.

Oh no! I loved As Time Goes By. I knew his name sounded familiar, but saw the face and went, "Lionel!" RIP.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    Oh no! I loved As Time Goes By. I knew his name sounded familiar, but saw the face and went, "Lionel!" RIP.
    He played multiple characters that I swear he based on my dad. I love him (and my dad) and will miss him in all sorts of things, not just TV.

For some of his other roles in pictures, check this out:- https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...fe-in-pictures
    lindsaywhit likes this.

^^ Dad.

Huge fan of As Time Goes By. I miss all those Brit coms from the 80's. I bought the series Dont Wait Up and I loved the show Two's Company. I think you're too young to remember those.

lindsaywhit and Novice like this.

Dad and I used to watch PBS every weekend to see As Time Goes By. I loved seeing him in the Titanic ep of Doctor Who because it was so different from his portrayal of Lionel.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    ^^ Dad.

Huge fan of As Time Goes By. I miss all those Brit coms from the 80's. I bought the series Dont Wait Up and I loved the show Two's Company. I think you're too young to remember those.

We only had 3 TV channels until I was 20-something.... So we had a lot of repeats x

I do not have the SLIGHTEST idea who this is, even though he has a mega-long IMDB list of credits. RIP!

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I do not have the SLIGHTEST idea who this is, even though he has a mega-long IMDB list of credits. RIP!
    If you watch any 1970s/1980s British TV you'll have seen him. Very popular.
    MohandasKGanja and twitchy2.0 like this.

I remember Two's Company with the salty and saucy Elaine Stritch. She was a writer with a butler, she wanted to be left alone to write, but people kept showing up at her door. Hilarity ensued lol.
    lindsaywhit and twitchy2.0 like this.

Thread Information