Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Eddie Van Halen Dead at 65

Default Eddie Van Halen Dead at 65

Source: TMZ

Eddie Van Halen Dead at 65

Eddie Van Halen -- the legendary guitarist and co-founder of Van Halen -- has died after a long battle with throat cancer ... TMZ has learned.
    Sources directly connected to the rock star tell us ... he died at St. John's Hospital in Santa Monica Tuesday. His wife, Janie, was by his side, along with his son, Wolfgang, and Alex, Eddie's brother and drummer.
    We're told in the last 72 hours Eddie's ongoing health battle went massively downhill -- doctors discovered his throat cancer had moved to his brain as well as other organs.
    As you know, Eddie has been battling cancer for well over a decade. Our sources say he's been in and out of the hospital over the past year -- including last November for intestinal issues -- and recently underwent a round of chemo.
    Last year we reported ... Eddie was flying between the US and Germany for 5 years to get radiation treatment. Though he was a heavy smoker for years, he believes he developed throat cancer from a metal guitar pick he used to frequently hold in his mouth more than 20 years ago.
    Nevertheless, he continued to attend concerts and rehearse music with his son, Wolfgang, who -- if ya don't know -- became Van Halen's bassist in 2006.

Wolfgang mourned his father online, writing ... "He was the best father I could ever ask for. Every moment I’ve shared with him on and off stage was a gift. My heart is broken and I don’t think I’ll ever fully recover from this loss." He added, "I love you so much, Pop." Of course, Eddie himself was considered one of the best and most influential guitarists of all time ... who first made a name for himself with his solo on Van Halen's "Eruption."

Eddie formed the classic rock group in Pasadena in 1972 with his brother, Alex, on drums, Michael Anthony on bass and David Lee Roth singing. Eddie served as the main songwriter on their self-titled debut album in 1978 ... which launched the group into rock superstardom in the '80s.

They went on to pump out hit after hit, including "Runnin' with the Devil," "Unchained," "Hot for Teacher," "Panama" and "Jump" ... and continued their success with Sammy Hagar on lead vocals after the departure of Roth in 1985.
    Though some members have changed, the Van Halen bros have been constants ... with Eddie's acclaimed guitar work being the focal point of their legacy.
    Van Halen was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2007, and Eddie is widely considered one the greatest guitar players of all time.
    He is survived by his wife Janie and his son.

Eddie was 65.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Omg, what a shocker! My co-worker and I just scared the shit out of the office because when I told her that he died she yelled WHAT? WHAT? Another co-worker thought that it was someone that we knew IRL. RIP.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Syd

I was just thinking about him this morning while watching Valerie on Rachel Ray's show. RIP

He was a very telegenic, amazing guitar genius. Aside from his Van Halen work, he also did stuff like add the guitar solo to Michael Jackson's "Beat It".
    Brookie likes this.

I rarely get super upset over celeb deaths but this one made me literally gasp.

FUCK YOU, 2020. Seriously - just fuck off.
    Icepik, Daphodil, holly and 1 others like this.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Just saw this and made a mini-announcement at work. Finally, it was a name my coworkers recognized and I wasn't met with blank stares. I was really surprised even though I know he's had health issues. He looked good in the recent pic I saw him in.
    holly likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Elite Member

OMG. That is so sad. I gasped as well. I'm in shock. I didn't remember he had cancer. RIP.

Old interview in their mother tongue: Dutch

***** celeb

^^^ It's pretty awesome to see him speaking so fluently in Dutch -- even though they came here from the Netherland as kids.

With regard to his health - he was a big-time drinker and appeared to be a chain smoker most of his youth and young adulthood. He always had a lit cigarette sticking out of the top of his guitar. I think he was in denial about what he did to himself with all that excess, and also about what his prognosis was. When I was young, I thought that Valerie Bertinelli was the be-all and end-all of cute brunettes. When she got together with Eddie, it was impossible to be mad at him for TAKING MY WOMAN!
    BITTER, holly, rollo and 2 others like this.

I always thought he and Bertinelli looked like siblings.

***** celeb

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    Yup, and so did Valerie and her previous long-term boyfriend, Scott Colomby.
    HWBL likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    Oh most definitely. They were a prime example of people being attracted to people who look like them, like Mick Jagger and Bianca.

I was never a big Van Halen fan, but I appreciated his immense talent. I knew he had cancer awhile back, but didn't know he was still fighting it. It's a shame the last 10 years of his life were spent that way.

I always liked their Jump video, in spite of that asshat David Lee Roth. They just looked like a bunch of young guys having fun, and Eddie was pretty cute back then with that shit eating grin.

Waterslide and HWBL like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

2020 is just good and goddamned determined to rip what's left of my heart out and stomp it right into the ground.
    firebrat1229 likes this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

2020 continues to blow chunks.

Smoking will do it. I liked Van Halen. And folks did tease he and Valerie for looking alike. Don't.miss.cigarettes.
    firebrat1229 and Brookie like this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet! Anonymous Introvert

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information