Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Ryan Reynolds to use part of his own salary to hire BIPOC crew members on film

Default Ryan Reynolds to use part of his own salary to hire BIPOC crew members on film

Ryan Reynolds to use part of his own salary to hire BIPOC crew members on upcoming film

B.C.-born movie star will pay for 10-20 diverse hires on upcoming Netflix film, to be shot in Canada

Bridgette Watson · CBC News · Posted: Sep 25, 2020 9:07 AM PT | Last Updated: September 25

Actor Ryan Reynolds, photographed at his induction into Canada's Walk of Fame in 2014, is dedicating a portion of his salary to finance film industry training for 10 to 20 Black, Indigenous and people of colour on a production beginning in November. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Michelle Siu)

Vancouver-born movie star Ryan Reynolds says it is time to see more Black, Indigenous and people of colour on film sets and has launched a new initiative to help make it happen.

Called the Group Effort Initiative, applications opened online Thursday for people from marginalized communities to apply for a spot on the crew of an upcoming Netflix production. On the program's website, Reynolds says he plans to dedicate a portion of his own salary to pay for 10 to 20 new diverse hires.

"Making a film is a group effort, but for entirely too long that group has systemically excluded Black, Indigenous, people of colour and several other marginalized communities. This is a global problem which will not be fixed overnight, but change can start locally and immediately," wrote Reynolds.

The website crashed as people rushed to apply Thursday morning, but appears to now be working as it should.
    Watch Ryan Reynolds explain the Group Effort Initiative: (video at source)

All successful applicants will have their travel, accommodation and pay covered by Reynolds himself.

Those who apply must be 18 years or older, eligible to work in Canada, and available in November through to March 2021.

BIPOC recruits will receive on-set training that can be parlayed into a job in the film industry, something the Deadpool star describes in a posted video message as "long overdue action."

Reynolds' program follows other recently announced diversity initiatives in the industry.

Earlier this month, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences laid out sweeping eligibility reforms to the best picture category intended to encourage diversity and equitable representation on screen and off, addressing gender, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity and disability.

North of Hollywood, Telefilm Canada announced this summer a $100,000 a year commitment toward the creation of a Black Screen Office dedicated to expanding the reach of Black stories onscreen.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...fund-1.5738730
    lindsaywhit, Trixie, tulip and 3 others like this.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

I don't know why he gets so much flack. I kinda think he's a good egg.

I'll show myself out.
    KrisNine, tiggle, Icepik and 7 others like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

czb

why does it come out of his salary instead of the film budget? do. not. understand.
    sputnik and Novice like this.

I was wondering the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    I don't know why he gets so much flack. I kinda think he's a good egg.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post

I'll show myself out.

I don’t think he’s evil, just extremely overrated as an actor.

also, cynical me can’t help but wonder if this isn’t linked to his recent public apology for his and Serena Van der Woodsen’s plantation wedding and her dumb antebellum photo shoot for her now defunct attempt to be the next goop.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Because he is doing this on his own to give some minority people on-the-job training so they can use that experience to get other jobs in the industry? That's how I took it anyway. I assume most film producers aren't interested in paying to train people when they can hire people with experience.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    I was wondering the same thing

I don’t think he’s evil, just extremely overrated as an actor.

also, cynical me can’t help but wonder if this isn’t linked to his recent public apology for his and Serena Van der Woodsen’s plantation wedding and her dumb antebellum photo shoot for her now defunct attempt to be the next goop.
    I dunno. Here's what he said about it. Yeah, it could totally be a PR thing, or it could be somebody trying to correct prior behavior that is now perceived in a different way. No worse than Lady Antebellum or Dixie Chicks changing their names because suddenly they're woke. At least Ryan is trying to put his money where his mouth is.

“But shame works in weird ways,” he said. “A giant f-cking mistake like that can either cause you to shut down or it can reframe things and move you into action.” To that end, Reynolds introduced the Group Effort Initiative in July, which aims to invest in marginalized communities that are typically underrepresented and ignored in Hollywood.

“Representation and diversity need to be completely immersive,” he said. “Like, it needs to be embedded at the root of storytelling, and that’s in both marketing and Hollywood.”

Putting up cash and walking the walk as well as doing the easy bit of talking the talk goes a long way in my book. Good on him.
    mostroop and lindsaywhit like this.

i don't like him, i think he is fake and tries way too hard.
    but this is good.

I've never understood all the hate he gets. My only issue with him is that he's completely overrated and kind of has the douchey "dudebro" vibes. But shit, if that's a crime half of hollywood would be locked up.

As for him doing this, I like it. Good on him!
    lindsaywhit, tiggle and twitchy2.0 like this.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Because he's a cunt to staff and the public but so niiiice when if for PR.

" Now in addition to his sanctimonious sneer, Ryan has adopted a new attitude with the fans. Am told he spent part of last week in Vancouver and left on Saturday. At the airport he was approached by an admirer and asked for a photo. He snarled in response:

Absolutely not.

Say what you bitch?

Last time I checked Deadpool wasn’t written by Charlie Kaufman. And Ryan Reynolds doesn’t have the skill to work a Charlie Kaufman either. Ryan is only a pretty face. An even prettier beefcake body.

What else does an actor like Ryan Reynolds have to do BUT to pose with fans for photos?

If Hugh Jackman can go around the world, smile every day, pet dogs and cuddle babies, and not once lose his cool, or his energy, Ryan Reynolds can suck it up his ass and do the same.

Then again, those who’ve worked with Ryan aren’t exactly surprised by his ego or his overinflated sense of entitlement.

A few years ago, on the Regina set of the utterly forgettable and horribly sh-tty movie Just Friends, Ryan was shooting in a local bar called McNally’s. Amy Smart and Anna Faris were there, so lovely, so sweet, and so much less high maintenance than their male costar who required touch-ups more than they did. Only he was a bitch about accommodating the makeup artist. Would not so much as turn slightly on his stool to provide the man with a better angle.

As such, the artist, who had very long 80s rocker hair, had to lie on top of the bar in order to powder Ryan’s nose. Again, let me repeat, Ryan refused to sit in a more accessible position. He allowed this man to contort himself on top of a bar, surrounded by candles, in the most uncomfortable way, and did not offer to make it just a little bit easier.

So the man’s hair caught on fire.

And Ryan Reynolds started squealing. At the top of his lungs. Full scale man-panic. Flapping his hands, holding his balls, to the point where the makeup artist, WHO WAS ON FIRE, had to tend to Ryan first, calming him down, preventing him from passing out, before enlisting help to put out the blazing inferno on top of his head."
    Waterslide likes this.

Ok, that makes me feel a little more sane. I honestly don't give two flips about his plantation wedding. Whatever. There are far more racially insensitive and flat-out racist things that deserve more attention than that. However, I have always had this irrational hate-on for him and his wife. I look at them, and he does some really cute and funny stuff, I like his social media back and forth with several people and has some great memes, but I've just had this feeling of ickiness when I look at him and her both that it is all very fake and I couldn't put my finger on it. He just reads as fun silly good guy on the outside and has some great charitable things to his name, but seems like he's an asshole douchecanoe behind the closed doors. Although, that's probably the truth with a majority of celebs.

ETA: Although I won't hold him not taking a photo with or signing things for a fan at an airport against him. Sometimes we all just want to be left the hell alone and deserve some privacy. Even celebs.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Alright, I take it all back. What a cunt.

I'm also fine with celebs sometimes not doing photos or autographs if you're not a dick about it. If the fan wasn't being aggressive, snarling at him/her makes him a little bitch.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    Ok, that makes me feel a little more sane. I honestly don't give two flips about his plantation wedding. Whatever. There are far more racially insensitive and flat-out racist things that deserve more attention than that. However, I have always had this irrational hate-on for him and his wife. I look at them, and he does some really cute and funny stuff, I like his social media back and forth with several people and has some great memes, but I've just had this feeling of ickiness when I look at him and her both that it is all very fake and I couldn't put my finger on it. He just reads as fun silly good guy on the outside and has some great charitable things to his name, but seems like he's an asshole douchecanoe behind the closed doors. Although, that's probably the truth with a majority of celebs.

ETA: Although I won't hold him not taking a photo with or signing things for a fan at an airport against him. Sometimes we all just want to be left the hell alone and deserve some privacy. Even celebs.
    Yep, that bit with the makeup artist is awful... I actually want to believe that's not true and to go on thinking he's delightful but something about these stories 'smells' right - which makes no sense to me but there it is.

It's Lainey Gossip, which means it probably didn't happen at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    A few years ago, on the Regina set of the utterly forgettable and horribly sh-tty movie Just Friends, Ryan was shooting in a local bar called McNally’s.
    CornFlakegrl likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information