Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Carol Burnett seeks custody of grandson over daughter’s substance abuse

fgg

Default Carol Burnett seeks custody of grandson over daughter’s substance abuse

Comedy legend Carol Burnett is seeking custody of her grandson, Dylan, over her daughter Erin Hamilton’s allegedly ongoing battle with substance abuse.

“Due to addiction issues and other circumstances that my daughter, Erin, has been struggling with impacting her immediate family dynamic, my husband [Brian Miller] and I have petitioned the court to be appointed legal guardian of my 14-year-old grandson,” Burnett, 87, told Page Six in a statement on Thursday.

“Guardianship will be for oversight purposes concerning his health, education and welfare and not intended to deny him nor the parents proper visitation with one another,” the statement continues. “We look forward to recovery being the next stepping stone towards normalization and ask for privacy at this time to allow that process to occur.”

The court documents — obtained by The Blast — note that Burnett and Miller are only seeking temporary custody.

“Throughout her adult life, and since Dylan’s birth, Erin has suffered from severe substance abuse and addiction issues,” Burnett claims in the filing, according to the site. “In the past 19 years, Erin has been in and out of rehabilitation centers and has been institutionalized a total of eight times for a minimum of 30 days each time,” it also alleges.

“Dylan’s living environment has long been unstable, unpredictable and unhealthy for a child. This culminated in a Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) investigation and juvenile dependency proceedings in 2018 and 2019,” the court documents also allege, according to The Blast.

The filing reveals a host of alleged details about 52-year-old Erin’s struggle. In July, Hamilton was placed on an involuntary 5150 psychiatric hold following a suicide attempt; Burnett contacted the LAPD for a wellness check. Dylan’s father, Kurt West, recently checked into rehab himself, the filing also claims, and the Department of Children and Family Services investigated the family in 2018 and 2019.

Hamilton, who is Burnett’s youngest daughter, is a singer who has notched multiple hits on the US dance charts, including two number ones in 2008. Dylan, born in 2006, is the younger of her two children; her elder, Zach, was born in 1997.

Burnett’s eldest daughter, Carrie, also dealt with substance abuse prior to getting sober before her 18th birthday. (Burnett’s third daughter is Jody, age 53.) “When we got [Carrie] into a third rehab, oh, she hated my guts,” Burnett told AARP magazine. “You have to love them enough to let them hate you.” Carrie died of complications from cancer in 2002 at 38.

In 2019, the Hollywood Foreign Press Association established a Golden Globe award in Burnett’s name for career achievement in television. Steve Carell presented the inaugural statuette to Burnett.

Hamilton and West could not immediately be reached for comment.

https://pagesix.com/2020/08/20/carol...bstance-abuse/
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Damn. I remember her daughter Carrie's issues and then death from cancer. Didn't know another daughter had addiction issues as well. I hope the 3rd daughter is ok. 87 is awfully old to be dealing with this and taking on care of a grandson.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    Hamilton and West could not immediately be reached for comment.
    OK WTF? They actually tried to contact the 2 parents who are both supposedly in/just released from rehab? Fucking vultures.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

I'm on an X-Files role tonight. Carrie was in one of my favorite episodes of The X-Files and also a movie I think was called Tokyo Pop that I really loved in high school. It was so sad to me that I think she got her life on track and like Trixie said, ended up dying of cancer. I don't know anything about the other two daughters. I also didn't realize Carol Burnett is 87. Like, it makes sense, but doesn't seem real to me. I grew up on The Carol Burnett Show. Regardless, this is a very sad situation and makes me wonder about the third daughter. It would possibly make more sense for a sister to try for custody rather than an 87 year old woman. But then again, my grandmother more or less raised some of her grandchildren at that age, too. Sounds exhausting though.
    lindsaywhit and rollo like this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Carol Burnett still seems like not your average one-foot-in-the-grave-and-the-other-on-a-banana-peel 87 year old. This is probably a formality.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

How sad for that 14-yr-old kid. Mom's been an addict his whole life, sounds like.

Elite Member

Carol Burnett has had her struggles. An alcoholic mother and two daughters with addiction problems. I wonder why the third daughter hasn't volunteered to take her nephew under her wing. Perhaps she has addiction problems, too? It does seem to be a lot for an 87-year-old to be dealing with.
    rollo and tulip like this.

So they are seeking temporary custody? What will happen after that? As others have said, it's unfair on an 87 year old to be dealing with this and you'd think there would be other family members or guardians who could step up.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Well, with both parents in rehab, somebody has to step up or the kid will end up in foster care. I googled Jody Hamilton and all I got is she's a film producer and married.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

I read this elsewhere, and was like godDAMN Carol's too old to be dealing with this.
    But you guys want a laugh-- go to youtube and start watching those original skits with Eunice, Mama, and Ed .... she was a genius with the dysfunctional family stuff. Her and Vicki Lawrence = comedy gold. It's mostly hilarious but also sometimes fucking sad, and I don't doubt she drew from her own life.
    I'mNotBitter, emkat and twitchy2.0 like this.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

You guys would be shocked at how often this happens outside of celeb world. A LOT. I can't count how many kids in my line of work live with not only grandparents, but great grandparents, and in at least one case I had (maybe two), with great great grandparents. There is simply no one else and a lot of times legally (it varies depending on the state), if there is an appropriate family member that wants the child and doesn't meet any of the exclusion criteria (like drug/substance use, previous CPS history, etc.) then family placement has to have priority over a non-relative foster family and they aren't legally allowed to take age into consideration when denying or approving a kinship placement.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    You guys would be shocked at how often this happens outside of celeb world. A LOT. I can't count how many kids in my line of work live with not only grandparents, but great grandparents, and in at least one case I had (maybe two), with great great grandparents. There is simply no one else and a lot of times legally (it varies depending on the state), if there is an appropriate family member that wants the child and doesn't meet any of the exclusion criteria (like drug/substance use, previous CPS history, etc.) then family placement has to have priority over a non-relative foster family and they aren't legally allowed to take age into consideration when denying or approving a kinship placement.
    i read an interesting quote only a few days ago that said "raise your kids and spoil your grandchildren or spoil your children and raise your grandkids"

i felt like i was in a time warp reading about carol burnett seeking custody of a child. you don't need to be doing that and pushing 90.
    Trixie likes this.

What songs has Erin made that are famous?
    holly likes this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

A lady I used to work with - she lost her husband in 2010 and moved back to her hometown. She ended up taking custody of her GREAT grandchild, because both parents were drug users and the grandparents were also drug users. She's 70 now and the great-grandkid is about 7. She's had him since shortly after birth.

They seem to do well, but I sometimes wonder if it's a struggle for her.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Omg,poor woman. Of course it's a struggle at 70, I think you need help even at child-bearing ages, usually a spouse. And 70-yr-olds don't always have a spouse even.

At the very least Carol Burnett can probably afford child care help.
    lindsaywhit likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information