Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Wilford Brimley, an actor and a Quaker Oats pitchman, dies at 85

Default Wilford Brimley, an actor and a Quaker Oats pitchman, dies at 85

Wilford Brimley, an actor and a Quaker Oats pitchman, dies at 85

By Faith Karimi and Alta Spells, CNN
    Updated 1:44 AM ET, Sun August 2, 2020

(CNN)Wilford Brimley, the mustachioed actor who appeared on the big screen, television shows and Quaker Oats commercials, has died. He was 85.

Brimley died Saturday while hospitalized in St. George, Utah, his manager Lynda Bensky told CNN. He'd been at the ICU, where he was getting treatment for medical problems and was on dialysis.
    "Wilford Brimley was a man you could trust. He said what he meant and he meant what he said," Bensky said. "He had a tough exterior and a tender heart. I'm sad that I will no longer get to hear my friend's wonderful stories. He was one of a kind."
    His movie credits date to the 1970s and include "Cocoon," "The Natural" and "The Thing." He also starred in several television shows, including NBC's "Our House" as a gruff widower who asks his daughter-in-law and her children to live with him.

Content by CNN Underscored
    The best deals in Apple’s Amazon store
    Yes, Apple has set up shop on Amazon. That means you can get official Apple products with free Prime shipping.

In addition to Quaker Oats, he also appeared in commercials for the American Diabetes Association, where he used his raspy baritone to urge people to check their blood sugar often.
    Over the years, he earned a new legion of fans -- many born decades after his movie appearances -- drawn to memes paying tribute to his mustache.

"RIP Wilford Brimley -- so many great performances, but I'll never forget seeing him sing this surprisingly tender 'It's Not Easy Being Green,'" comedian Stephen Colbert tweeted.
    Brimley is survived by his wife, Beverly, and three sons.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/02/enter...ies/index.html

Does anyone besides me remember him being on an NBC show with the woman who played Marlena on Days of Our Lives and Shannen Doherty? It was some kind of family drama type show.
    Brookie and sprynkles like this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Yup! That was Our House. I used to watch it, too.

He seemed like a nice guy with a sense of humor. RIP.
    Waterslide likes this.

Too soon?
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Aaaawwwwww, I thought he'd be older. Fantastic character actor. I always enjoyed watching his work, very natural. R.I.P.
    DawnM74 and weathered1 like this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

trixie, you posted exactly what I was thinking. the diabeetus got him
    Trixie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    Aaaawwwwww, I thought he'd be older. Fantastic character actor. I always enjoyed watching his work, very natural. R.I.P.
    I thought he’d be older too. He seemed old in Cocoon. I read he was 51 at that time. Back then, anyone over 40 looked ancient.
    tulip, czb, Waterslide and 1 others like this.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

^^ he’s always looked old though. My husband is 49. I can’t imagine he’s going to look “Cocoon” worthy for many years.

Truthfully, I didn’t know he wasn’t already dead. RIP

I thought he was long gone too. I will always remember as the henchman on The Firm. He made a great mean guy.

I totally forgot about Our House. I love Deidre Hall and would watch her grocery shop. She's still playing Marlena on DOOL.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkbunnyslippers View Post
    I thought he’d be older too. He seemed old in Cocoon. I read he was 51 at that time. Back then, anyone over 40 looked ancient.
    Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    ^^ he’s always looked old though. My husband is 49. I can’t imagine he’s going to look “Cocoon” worthy for many years.

Truthfully, I didn’t know he wasn’t already dead. RIP
    I think I've got all of you beat in terms of remembering this guy. He was Dr. Blair in the horror masterpiece "The Thing" (1982). That's when I first noticed him. But I didn't know how old he was until I saw him in "Cocoon" (1985) three years later and was in utter f*cking shock to hear that at 51 he was 20 years younger than the other old guys in the movie. Does NOT compute.

I have no idea why he looked so prematurely aged -- to the point that I was sure he was lying his ass off about his age. But the fact that he went on to live another 30+ years means he was actually telling the truth. And ironically barely got much older looking during that period. Maybe it was God's way of making it up to him or something.

Here's a shot of him in the thing, where he was supposedly 6 years young than I am now:

Here he is in 1975 on Kung Fu. It was his 3rd acting credit on his IMDB page. He was 40 here, if my math is correct.

^Whoa. He belongs to that category of people who look way older than their age when they're young, but then often look the same for decades after that.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

I shall have a bowl of oatmeal in his honour.

#beetus
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

Elite Member

^^ I always think of oatmeal when I see him.

I remember it being shocking that he was playing a villain in The Firm.

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    Here he is in 1975 on Kung Fu. It was his 3rd acting credit on his IMDB page. He was 40 here, if my math is correct.

I‘m 40. I can’t imagine us chatting about what memories we had in middle school in the early 90‘s with him looking so elderly. I wouldn’t believe him if he told me his age.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    I thought he was long gone too. I will always remember as the henchman on The Firm. He made a great mean guy.

I totally forgot about Our House. I love Deidre Hall and would watch her grocery shop. She's still playing Marlena on DOOL.

I LOVED Chad Allen.
    sprynkles and Waterslide like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information