Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By HeartShapedBox
  • 2 Post By Neptunia

Thread: Regis Philbin Dies At 88

Default Regis Philbin Dies At 88

Beloved television host Regis Philbin, who became synonymous with Live! with Regis and Kathie Lee and later Live! with Regis and Kelly, has died at the age of 88.

The star passed away on July 24th, and his family shared a statement on his passing to PEOPLE. The statement explained that the cause of death was natural causes and that he passed a month before his 89th birthday.

They also thanked all of Philbin's fans and admirers for all the support over his 60-year career and asked for privacy during this difficult time. No funeral announcements were made, but you can read their statement in its entirety below.

"We are deeply saddened to share that our beloved Regis Philbin passed away last night of natural causes, one month shy of his 89th birthday. His family and friends are forever grateful for the time we got to spend with him – for his warmth, his legendary sense of humor, and his singular ability to make every day into something worth talking about.

We thank his fans and admirers for their incredible support over his 60-year career and ask for privacy as we mourn his loss," the statement read.

Philbin is survived by his daughters J.J. Philbin, Joanna Philbin, and Amy Philbin, and our thoughts are with the family at this difficult time.

Philbin became a household name in 1988 when he became host of Live! with Regis and Kathie Lee, which he hosted for 15 years alongside Kathie Lee Gifford. Gifford would leave after 15 years, and that paved the way for a new cohost entering the show, which would be Kelly Ripa.

During all that he would also be the first host of Who Wants to Be A Millionaire, which he would host from 1999 to 2002. Philbin leaves behind a wonderful television legacy, and our thoughts are with his friends and family.Philbin would be the constant and created an entirely new tag team with Ripa in the newly named Live! with Regis and Kelly in 2001. He would continue to host until 2011 when he decided to step away after 23 years.

https://comicbook.com/irl/news/regis...n-dead-age-88/

NOOOOOOOOO Loved Regis. R.I.P
    crayzeehappee and Neptunia like this.

I'm sad. Kind of thought he'd live forever.
    Why do people say, "Grow some balls?" Balls are weak and sensitive. If you really want to get tough, grow a vagina. Those things take a pounding! ~ Betty White

I remember watching his show when I was sick a home from school as a kid. I loved hearing about whatever Broadway show he had gone to the night before or his stories about how his cat hated him! He was really good at what he did, always seemed interested in his guests and made them feel at ease.

I always thought his wife and daughters were his only family but apparently he was married previously, had a couple of kids. His son had spinal disabilities but Regis never really talked about his kids from his first family.

David Letterman Honors Regis Philbin in Moving Tribute: 'Always the Best Guest We Ever Had'

Letterman, 73, shared a heartfelt statement on Twitter on Saturday in tribute to Philbin, who died Friday of natural causes.

"Regis is in the same category as [Johnny] Carson," Letterman wrote. "Superlative. He was on our show a million times, always the best guest we ever had, charming, lovable and could take a punch. When he retired I lost interest in television. I love him."

As two of television's most popular and successful talk show hosts, Letterman and Philbin were close colleagues over the years and appeared on each other's shows many times.

Philbin racked up a total of 150 appearances on Late Night and Late Show with David Letterman — more than any other guest in Letterman’s talk show history — and made his last appearance in 2015, for Letterman's penultimate episode as host of the NBC talk show.

The late star even guest hosted for Late Show in 2000 while Letterman while recovering from a quintuple-bypass surgery.

https://people.com/tv/david-letterma...regis-philbin/
    Trixie and sprynkles like this.

It's hard to believe Letterman is 73. Wow.

I used to watch Live with Regis and Kathie Lee at 9 each morning while my kids were at school. It was pretty funny most of the time. When Kathie left I quit watching.

Funny:

Aw RIP. He was entertaining to watch in a mindless way. Long, good career.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Elite Member

Rest in peace. I didn't realize he was in his late 80s. Age never seemed to slow him down.

Bronze Member

I remember the morning chit-chats on the show in the mid-80's, long before the internet.

Regis would talk about the Broadway shows that he went to, dinner at new restaurants (long before any paid shilling gigs) and they would read the headlines of the daily newspapers and discuss their opinions (they had to stop after the Frank Gifford cheating scandal.

Now it's so fake, they just pick already old news stories or trending pictures on the internet and Kelly reminds everyone how perfect her life is.

Thread Information