Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Elton John's Ex-Wife Renate Blauel Sues Singer Over Memoir and 'Rocketman' Movie

Default Elton John's Ex-Wife Renate Blauel Sues Singer Over Memoir and 'Rocketman' Movie

Elton John's ex-wife, Renate Blauel, is suing the singer over writing about her in his 2019 memoir, Me, Elton John, as well as including their marriage in his biographical musical film, Rocketman.

John and Blauel married on Valentine's Day in 1984 and divorced in 1988. Court documents obtained by ET claim that John broke a divorce agreement the two made in 1988 to not publicly discuss their marriage or the reasons for their separation.

"Those breaches have devastated the Claimant, destroying her privacy and causing her to suffer severe psychological consequences," the documents read.

ET has reached out to John's rep for comment. The BBC reports that John's defense has acknowledged that he and Blauel both signed a divorce agreement, but denied any breaches or causing "psychological harm."

In the court documents, examples are shown of Blauel and John's marriage being portrayed in 2019's Rocketman, which starred Taron Egerton as John.

"The Claimant and Defendant are depicted, possibly on their wedding night, as leaving separate rooms, suggesting that they slept in separate bedrooms and thereby implying a general lack of physical intimacy between them," the documents read about one particular scene in the film. "The depiction of the marriage suffering serious problems is further reinforced by a portrayal of the Claimant and Defendant having breakfast whilst sitting at opposite sides of a table, facing each other."

As for his memoir, the documents quote passages from his book when John writes about her, including about their split after four years of marriage.

"She could have taken me to the cleaners, and I wouldn't have blamed her: everything that had gone wrong was down to me and me alone," the quotes read. "But Renate was too dignified and too decent for that. Despite all the pain, there was no acrimony involved at all. For years afterwards, whenever something happened to me, the press would turn up on her doorstep, looking for her to dish the dirt, and she never, ever has: she just told them to leave her alone."

According to the documents, after her divorce from John, Blauel took steps to conceal her identity in order to live as privately as possible and to "shed her identity as the Defendant's former wife." But after the release of both John's memoir and Rocketman, the documents claim that a journalist has been trying to locate her in her local village, which has "caused her great anxiety."

"As a result of the above breaches, the Claimant's right to privacy and autonomy have been shattered," the documents read. "She, and the marriage, have become the subject of widespread press scrutiny and discussion."

Blauel's lawyer -- Yisrael Hiller, litigation partner at Asserson Law -- tells ET in a statement that his client's claims are about John's promise to protect her privacy for life when the couple divorced in 1988. He also claims that John refused to remove the passages about her in his book when she asked him to, and didn't ask her for permission to include her in Rocketman.

"In 1988 Elton agreed to respect her privacy but has since repeatedly ignored this promise; the lawsuit only deals with his breaches over the recent past but there have been many other breaches," Hiller claims. "When Renate learned, only days before the publication deadline, that Elton was writing an autobiography, Renate urgently tried to secure the removal of passages about her but Elton refused. Elton didn't even bother to ask her for permission to include her in the film and it came as a complete shock to her that Elton decided to feature her in it."

"Renate is particularly upset by the film which is inaccurate, misleading and insulting," Hiller further claims. "In her mind, the film seeks to portray their marriage as a sham, which she wholeheartedly disputes and considers a false and disrespectful portrayal of their time together. All of these breaches have caused her tremendous harm, suffering and damage and she has had enough. Renate wants the privacy that was promised to her - that is why she is seeking an injunction. Any claim for monetary relief is secondary, and would just cover damages and future expenses caused by Elton's breaches."

https://www.etonline.com/elton-johns...n-movie-150213

She is reportedly seeking £3million ($3.8 million) from the pop star.

Legal documents claim Blauel was so desperate to escape the attention she’d gained from her relationship with John that she’d been living in the UK under a different name.

He should either pay up, or better yet give her a healthy slice of his earnings on the book and movie.

The movie sucked and he's a pompous asshole.

Geez, I do not remember him getting married. Wasn't he out by then?

I used to love him back in Jr. High and had no idea then he was gay. But that was in like 76. I also didn't know Freddie Mercury was gay until the 90's. Lol.

I admit that Renate's gaydar was world-class bad, but she can at least content her self with the knowledge that she is a distant second to Liza Minelli!

I remember it because they got married in Sydney on Valentines Day, and even then most people were saying it was a sham.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I admit that Renate's gaydar was world-class bad, but she can at least content her self with the knowledge that she is a distant second to Liza Minelli!
    (As you know) It's not uncommon for people to lie to themselves & Elton John's retelling is more to do with his own self-loathing than hurting or pretexting his ex wife.

I think that the whole "shedding her identity" screams deception to the now ex-wife.

Elton John’s ex-wife tells court she changed identity to shed ties to singer

Renate Blauel claims damages as high as £3m for breach of privacy after the release of Rocketman

Sir Elton John’s ex-wife Renate Blauel adopted a new identity and went into hiding in a British village in an attempt to shed her connection to the singer, according to court filings in her multimillion pound legal case against the songwriter.

Blauel is seeking substantial damages from John, which could be as high as £3m, claiming he has caused her deep psychological distress by repeatedly breaching a 1988 divorce agreement to not discuss their marriage.

Last month the Guardian revealed that Blauel, who has studiously avoided all publicity for the last three decades, has filed proceedings at the high court against her former husband in the wake of the publication of John’s autobiography and the associated film Rocketman.

New legal documents lay bare the extent to which German-born Blauel has tried to escape her former relationship with the singer and struggled with her mental health.

Court filings submitted by her lawyers claim:

Blauel changed her name by deed poll in 2001 to a new, unknown identity in order to shed her old connection to John. She has changed her legal name back to Blauel for the length of this legal case in order to protect her new identity.

Blauel told her British friends in 2001 that she was moving to Germany to care for her parents, before confiding in just four close associates that in reality she was really remaining in the UK and adopting a new identity.

In a bid to avoid press interest Blauel bought her new home in the name of a friend and hid all possessions indicating her identity as Elton John’s ex-wife before the removal men arrived.

Blauel has also changed her appearance in order to avoid being linked to her old life.

Blauel said that as a result of taking such measures until recently “she was living quietly and privately” in a village with a new partner. She had successfully stopped being known as John’s former wife “and expected that she would continue to do so for the rest of her life”.

She claims her new life was upended when she learned through a television advert, shortly before its 2019 release, that John had made an autobiographical film called Rocketman which featured their marriage and that an accompanying autobiography was about to be released which included details of their relationship.

The pair married in Australia in 1984 at a time when John was struggling with his sexuality. According to Blauel, when the pair separated four years later their divorce settlement included a clause banning either side from discussing “the marriage or the reasons for the separation” except in confidential conversations with their immediate family or legal advisers.

Blauel’s lawyers claim her attempts to make last-minute changes to John’s autobiography were largely ignored and she particularly objected to passages implying her marriage to John was a sham.

She says that the pair “did attempt to have children during their relationship but were unable to do so”, contrary to John’s claims that he did not want a family until he met his current husband David Furnish.

Her lawyers say she has struggled with her mental health following her divorce and received repeated rounds of electric shock therapy. They claim she had since largely recovered but as a result of the Rocketman film she has suffered a “devastating mental relapse” with “recurring nightmares, agoraphobia, anxiety, depression, fear, and has had to relive her past constantly” requiring expensive ongoing medical support.

Blauel’s lawyer, Yisrael Hiller, said one informal estimate of potential damages to Blauel caused by John’s actions was as high as £3m. He added: “In 1988 Elton agreed to respect her privacy but has since repeatedly ignored this promise; the lawsuit only deals with his breaches over the recent past but there have been many other breaches.”

“When Renate learned, only days before the publication deadline, that Elton was writing an autobiography, she urgently tried to secure the removal of passages about her but Elton refused. Elton didn’t even bother to ask her for permission to include her in the film and it came as a complete shock to her that Elton decided to feature her in it.”

“Renate is particularly upset by the film which is inaccurate, misleading and insulting. In her mind, the film seeks to portray their marriage as a sham, which she wholeheartedly disputes and considers a false and disrespectful portrayal of their time together.

“All of these breaches have caused her tremendous harm, suffering and damage and she has had enough. Renate wants the privacy that was promised to her – that is why she is seeking an injunction. Any claim for monetary relief is secondary, and would just cover damages and future expenses caused by Elton’s breaches.”

In his defence, John’s lawyers argue that many of the aspects of their marriage were already in the public domain and the reasons for their divorce were already public – namely that he is a gay man who who wanted to be in a relationship with another man.

They also said it was not possible to hold John responsible for Blauel’s mental health since she had struggled well before the release of the Rocketman film and his autobiography. Both sides accept that an attempt was made to contact Blauel prior to the release of the film but she claims she did not receive the emails.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...er-court-hears
    sprynkles likes this.

He shouldn't have bragged too much about having an ex that let it go and never came for him financially.

But on another hand I think she deserves something if she's being made a subject in a whole book and movie that she had no say in and no approval of.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Especially if they did have a clause in the divorce agreement to not discuss the marriage or the other person. He should have asked and his lawyers should have known better.
    mostroop, Kittylady and holly like this.

Half a billion dollars Elton, write her a check. I have wondered if they had sex. There are gay men that have never slept with women and those that have. Lisa Marie Presley said she and MJ did, but who knows.
    Kittylady, lindsaywhit and sputnik like this.

Pay up Elton. She kept her promise! Meanwhile, his wedding outfit should have made a sizeable ping on the Gaydar for her.
    sputnik, Kittylady, rollo and 1 others like this.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Half a billion dollars Elton, write her a check. I have wondered if they had sex. There are gay men that have never slept with women and those that have. Lisa Marie Presley said she and MJ did, but who knows.
    I'm sure they had sex. I think he did everyone and everything in the early hedonistic days. I think that much was admitted during the film, which I loved.
    Kittylady likes this.
    Why do people say, "Grow some balls?" Balls are weak and sensitive. If you really want to get tough, grow a vagina. Those things take a pounding! ~ Betty White

Ive just finished reading the book. He literally doesn't discuss their marriage. He pointedly states that he respects her and their agreement. The whole extent of her character's appearance in the film is to appear as a producer, who he spontaneously decides to marry, then they separate as he's downing a third of a bottle of vodka in orange juice at breakfast, as well as the visual statement that by the end of their marriage, they were sleeping separately. Which isn't a surprise.

I'm not saying she shouldn't get some money - he's richer than god.

But come on, nothing will convince me she didn't know. Everyone knew. I was a teenager and I knew - and I wasn't particularly knowledgeable of such things back then. I remember my friends and I being so confused that he had married a woman - lol.
    Trixie likes this.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information