Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree229Likes

Thread: Lady Antebellum changes name to Lady A, denounce former name's association to slavery

Default Lady Antebellum changes name to Lady A, denounce former name's association to slavery

The Nashville-based country trio officially changed its name on Thursday, removing the word "Antebellum" and replacing it with "A", saying that they "did not take into account the associations that weigh down this word referring to the period of history before the Civil War, which includes slavery."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/11/a...arts&smtyp=cur

Lady A, OK... I kind of wonder what sort of education these people had that they didn't know that Antebellum referred to the period before the Civil War in the South, which of course, included slavery. It's a whole period in history called...The Antebellum period!

Most people I know who grew up in the south had their teachers refer to the civil war as "The War of Northern Aggression" and that's pretty much the start of it. I grew up in the Land of Lincoln so I got a very different narrative and it blows my mind what has goes on down there during history class.

eta - there's a guy named Trae Crowder that I think MsDark turned me onto (thank you!) who is a self-titled redneck liberal and he talked recently about his education in the south. I can't find it though. He and his friends were discussing how their college-level history professor had to give a disclaimer before starting his lecture on what really happened in the south before and during the Civil War and I guess a lot of people were surprised. He also said that a lot of the teachers in the south don't want to "upset" kids by telling them how the slaves got here. I was in 5th or 6th grade and was shown a diagram of the fucking boats in my text book. I think upsetting kids might be necessary sometimes.

I never did understand how you could leave up a monument to Jeff Davis or have high schools named after Robert E. Lee. I have no problem studying those people or talking about them because they're part of US history, but literally putting them up on pedestals has always been bizarre to me. I've seen nazi paraphernalia in war museums, but it was presented in a way that, even as a child, I was in no way confused who the good guys were and there was zero nostalgia attached to it. It's meant to give you the creeps and repulse you. Can you imagine walking past a statue of Hitler or an Imperial Japanese flag on your way into a courthouse? It makes no sense.
    Last edited by Waterslide; June 11th, 2020 at 02:20 PM.
    dolem, Neptunia, sputnik and 12 others like this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

The way the whole period has been romanticized is just disgraceful. It's totally what Trump is tapping into with his Make America Great Again. Most of those statues weren't even erected until the 20th century either, just to make sure that black people knew their place. They're disgusting and have needed to come down for awhile now.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    Most people I know who grew up in the south had their teachers refer to the civil war as "The War of Northern Aggression" and that's pretty much the start of it. I grew up in the Land of Lincoln so I got a very different narrative and it blows my mind what has goes on down there during history class.

eta - there's a guy named Trae Crowder that I think MsDark turned me onto (thank you!) who is a self-titled redneck liberal and he talked recently about his education in the south. I can't find it though. He and his friends were discussing how their college-level history professor had to give a disclaimer before starting his lecture on what really happened in the south before and during the Civil War and I guess a lot of people were surprised. He also said that a lot of the teachers in the south don't want to "upset" kids by telling them how the slaves got here. I was in 5th or 6th grade and was shown a diagram of the fucking boats in my text book. I think upsetting kids might be necessary sometimes.

I never did understand how you could leave up a monument to Jeff Davis or have high schools named after Robert E. Lee. I have no problem studying those people or talking about them because they're part of US history, but literally putting them up on pedestals has always been bizarre to me. I've seen nazi paraphernalia in war museums, but it was presented in a way that, even as a child, I was in no way confused who the good guys were and there was zero nostalgia attached to it. It's meant to give you the creeps and repulse you. Can you imagine walking past a statue of Hitler or an Imperial Japanese flag on your way into a courthouse? It makes no sense.
    I guess it depends on where you go to school at. I was educated in the South too (born and raised in NC) and I think our history teachers were pretty up front about everything. I never heard it called the War of Northern Aggression in person, only in the movies as a kind of joke. We saw the same picture of the boats and watched some pretty horrific stuff in classes. Maybe I was just lucky with who my teachers were growing up.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

^^^^
    there was an article recently, i forget where, that compared textbooks in different parts of the US and how they handle the civil war and how in the south they leave out a lot of facts so as to not hurt the racists' feelings. it was pretty crazy. sounds like you got lucky.

i didn't realise, until moving to the US, just how fucked up the South is. and i was very familiar with US culture and i knew that it's more racist - or at least more overtly so - than the rest of the country and more religious and conservative and i knew all the stereotypes about southerners and all that but i didn't know just how deeply entrenched it is or how insanely fucked up education about that period is down there. no wonder republicans didn't bat an eye with trump's lies, they've built a society based on 'alternative facts' for over 150 years.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    I guess it depends on where you go to school at. I was educated in the South too (born and raised in NC) and I think our history teachers were pretty up front about everything. I never heard it called the War of Northern Aggression in person, only in the movies as a kind of joke. We saw the same picture of the boats and watched some pretty horrific stuff in classes. Maybe I was just lucky with who my teachers were growing up.
    I've had a few friends that say NC is different, but maybe it's because there are some pockets of liberal thinking there?  IIRC, even during the war, there were quite a few people that wanted nothing to do with fighting to keep slavery and that it was a rich man's war. Regardless, I'm sure there are places with great schools and great teachers who aren't trying to glorify the Old South, but I have heard the horror stories from Georgia, Louisiana, Alabama, etc.

It's kind of like how I went to a Catholic grade school, but it happened to be in a place where a lot of the parents were educated and a bit more progressive than other places so while I did hear my fair share of absolute fucking bullshit, I was never taught that all non-Catholics were going to hell or that if I had been way younger I would have been prohibited from reading something like Harry Potter.  I see things in the news where these parochial schools are going hardcore almost like evangelical schools and railing against all kinds of silly stuff and that just wasn't my experience, thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^^&lt;br&gt;<br>
    there was an article recently, i forget where, that compared textbooks in different parts of the US and how they handle the civil war and how in the south they leave out a lot of facts so as to not hurt the racists' feelings. it was pretty crazy. sounds like you got lucky. &lt;br&gt;<br>
    &lt;br&gt;<br>
    i didn't realise, until moving to the US, just how fucked up the South is. and i was very familiar with US culture and i knew that it's more racist - or at least more overtly so - than the rest of the country and more religious and conservative and i knew all the stereotypes about southerners and all that but i didn't know just how deeply entrenched it is or how insanely fucked up education about that period is down there. no wonder republicans didn't bat an eye with trump's lies, they've built a society based on 'alternative facts' for over 150 years.
    I lived in the US my whole life and knew about the stereotypes but probably didn't know until I was in college and even older the reality of&amp;nbsp; how entrenched some of the old south rhetoric is in the southern schools.&amp;nbsp; People who had lived there would describe things to me that they heard in school and I would laugh thinking they were joking when they weren't.&amp;nbsp; And then I worry about the kids who maybe do have a good school or a good teacher only to have parents make sure all that good gets "untaught" the second they come home at the end of the day.&amp;nbsp; I mean, things like that happen in every state, though.

But anyway, I guess this is why I'm not surprised someone named their band Lady Antebellum and truly didn't see the issue with it.&amp;nbsp; However, I think people have been questioning the name of this band for a while now so maybe it's a tiny bit suspect that they've just now decided to change it?&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;

Found this from 2011.&amp;nbsp; Not exactly about Lady A, but brings up some good points about romanticizing that time.

I fucking hate this board. I can't post the story and you can tell I tried by all that fucking code that's all over the place. Here's the link.

https://msmagazine.com/2011/02/17/la...vil-war-south/
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

I had mentioned on another thread that i thought this bands name was a dog whistle. Also, there are a lot of smug but poorly educated people who spout erroneous slogans about the origins of the Civil War. It takes about 60 seconds to completely rebut.
    Beeyotch likes this.

I guess it will affect their fans the most.
    rollo likes this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post

It's kind of like how I went to a Catholic grade school, but it happened to be in a place where a lot of the parents were educated and a bit more progressive than other places so while I did hear my fair share of absolute fucking bullshit, I was never taught that all non-Catholics were going to hell or that if I had been way younger I would have been prohibited from reading something like Harry Potter.&amp;nbsp; I see things in the news where these parochial schools are going hardcore almost like evangelical schools and railing against all kinds of silly stuff and that just wasn't my experience, thankfully.
    /
    I've probably told this story before, but, oh well... My best friend in 6th grade was Catholic, and she told me my parents weren't truly married because they weren't married by a Roman Catholic priest.

I was thrilled. Having been born a drama queen, here was finally something I could sink my teeth into, and I ran with it - until my mother got a call from the school letting her know I had told all my friends I was illegitimate. My parents didn't do time outs.

Silver Member

I grew up in the San Francisco area down the Penninsula and vividly recall in 1968 my Junior year US History teacher telling us that the south was another world with rampant discrimination. Gave the example of their public restrooms-Men, Women and Colored. We were speechless. A non-violent example, but what else could we have learned about? Wouldn't we have grown up to be more enlightened adults if we really learned our history?

Yeah I don't buy their disingenuous "didn't realize" BS at all. Come on. They went with it because it was an accepted thing to their audience, and plausibly deniable as a term with romanticized connotations. All Gone With The Wind and hoop skirts on plantations crap.
    fgg, crayzeehappee, tulip and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by lindsaywhit View Post
    I've probably told this story before, but, oh well... My best friend in 6th grade was Catholic, and she told me my parents weren't truly married because they weren't married by a Roman Catholic priest.

I was thrilled. Having been born a drama queen, here was finally something I could sink my teeth into, and I ran with it - until my mother got a call from the school letting her know I had told all my friends I was illegitimate. My parents didn't do time outs.
    Oof! That's terrible...and not your fault! Actually, my parents were also not married by a Catholic priest, but they later had their marriage blessed. I don't know what that means, actually, except that I guess it was accepted and acceptable. I guess?
    lindsaywhit likes this.

here's the article i was thinking about:
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...n-schools.html

i also remembered this article from the NYT that contrasts textbooks in texas versus california, both by the same publisher but modified to fit the demands made by each state. it's pretty galling.
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...textbooks.html
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

@Waterslide ^ Oh, totally my fault. As a born and raised Calvinist, I was a seasoned religious debater, even in 6th grade. I wanted Drama! Adventure! Every book I ever read, (and I'd read more than a few) the child hero had to be somehow an outcast, traumatized, or neglected, or they had to be orphaned. I did love my parents, and they were excellent parents, so that left outcast...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information