• 6 Post By MohandasKGanja
  • 3 Post By Penelope
  • 7 Post By Neptunia
  • 1 Post By Brookie
  • 2 Post By KrisNine
  • 1 Post By MohandasKGanja

Thread: (Eddie Haskell) Ken Osmond of Leave it to Beaver fame has died

Default (Eddie Haskell) Ken Osmond of Leave it to Beaver fame has died

Ken Osmond -- famous for playing the smart-mouthed Eddie Haskell on the classic '50s family TV series "Leave It To Beaver" -- is dead ... TMZ has confirmed.

The actor died Monday at his home in Los Angeles, surrounded by loved ones and family. His son, Eric, tells us, "He was an incredibly kind and wonderful father. He had his family gathered around him when he passed. He was loved and will be very missed."

Ken began his acting career when he was only 9 years old, but he got his big break in 1957 when he was cast as Eddie Haskell on 'Beaver' opposite Jerry Mathers, who played the title character.

The Haskell role was supposed to be a simple guest appearance, but Ken knocked it outta the park and his character became a series mainstay over 6 seasons and 234 episodes. As you know, Ken's portrayal of Eddie was iconic.

Osmond grew up in Glendale, CA and his first speaking role was in the movie "So Big." He also guest-starred on a ton of popular TV shows, including "Lassie," "Wagon Train, "The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet," "The Loretta Young Show" and "Fury."

In 1970, Osmond joined the LAPD and was an officer until he retired in 1988. During one incident, he was shot at 5 times ... 4 of the bullets hit his bulletproof vest and the fifth ricocheted off his belt buckle.

Ken was typecast after 'Beaver,' but his other acting credits include appearances on "The Munsters" and "Petticoat Junction," plus feature films like "With Six You Get Eggroll" and "C'Mon Let's Live a Little."
    Ken was 76.
    RIP

https://www.tmz.com/2020/05/18/ken-o...ell-dead-dies/
    Last edited by sprynkles; May 19th, 2020 at 01:39 PM.
    Brookie likes this.

Awwwwe , I loved Eddie Haskell. R.I.P. Ken. Such a great show.
    Penelope and Angeli like this.

Elite Member

RIP -- to this day you can use "Eddie Haskell" to describe someone.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    RIP -- to this day you can use "Eddie Haskell" to describe someone.
    I was thinking the same thing. Someone who is unctuous and insincere. It's always cool to read about someone who had a walk-on role and just killed it and became a mainstay.

I also loved this. Imagine what the world would be like if more people could honestly say this about a parent:

His son, Eric, tells us, "He was an incredibly kind and wonderful father. He had his family gathered around him when he passed. He was loved and will be very missed."

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Someone who is unctuous and insincere. It's always cool to read about someone who had a walk-on role and just killed it and became a mainstay.

I also loved this. Imagine what the world would be like if more people could honestly say this about a parent:

His son, Eric, tells us, "He was an incredibly kind and wonderful father. He had his family gathered around him when he passed. He was loved and will be very missed."
    That struck me as well. What a beautifully expressed, loving sentiment from his son.

I love to catch an episode of this show on one of the oldies stations, it's just so charming and wholesome. I know time passes but I was shocked to see that Eddie Haskell was 76!

My favorite response to Ken Osmond's death was:

Why, I can hear him at the pearly gates already...

"That's a very nice flowing robe you're wearing, St. Peter..."

Jerry Mathers said:

"I will greatly miss my lifelong friend Ken Osmond who I have known for over 63 years. I have always said that he was the best actor on our show because in real life his personality was so opposite of the character that he so brilliantly portrayed. RIP dear friend."

One of my FB friends suggested an "insincere compliment" day in his honor.
    Waterslide likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I had no idea he was an LAPD officer for nearly 20 years. to have survived that shooting is pretty remarkable.
    Waterslide and InigoMontoya like this.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I had no idea he was an LAPD officer for nearly 20 years. to have survived that shooting is pretty remarkable.
    Make sure you go to the Singular Celeb Photos thread!
    KrisNine likes this.

Pop culture dope that I am, I have never seen an episode. I just ran through a couple of quick YT videos and got the gist. Nice looking mature man. He died of COPD.

I was sad to see this. I wasn't a huge fan of Leave It to Beaver, but I've seen my fair share and you couldn't help but love Eddie because he was the least square guy on the show. I love Jerry Mather's statement about him.

I didn't know he was a cop either, nor that he had suffered from a shooting. IIRC, The Beav and his RL brother both went on to be in the military, which was probably unpopular at the time (I don't remember exactly what time period it was), but it's kind of cool that the kid actors on that show didn't just all fall into the same pit of despair that many of the rest of them seem to.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

I was. He was a great actor. His character was obsequious. Also had no idea he ended up as a cop.

Thread Information