• 2 Post By Annika

Thread: Jeff Goldblum faces backlash over questions on ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race’

Default Jeff Goldblum faces backlash over questions on ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race’

Jeff Goldblum faces backlash over comments on ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race’

By Jack Hobbs

April 26, 2020 | 3:38am
    Enlarge Image

Jeff Goldblum FilmMagic

Jeff Goldblum, known for his iconic role in the “Jurrasic Park” franchise, is facing social media backlash over comments he made to a contestant on “RuPaul’s Drag Race.”
    Goldblum, who appeared as a Season 12 guest judge on the wildly popular show with “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend’s” Rachel Bloom, came under fire when he asked if the Islamic religion was “anti-homosexuality” and “anti-woman.”

His comments came during a “Stars and Stripes” themed runway walk, when Jackie Cox, whose non-drag name is Darius Rose, wore a red and white striped caftan and a blue hijab with silver stars.
    Cox, who is Iranian-Canadian, strutted the runway saying, “You can be Middle Eastern, you can be Muslim and you can still be American.”

Goldblum asked Cox if she was religious, and she said that she was not.

“To be honest, this outfit really represents the importance that visibility for people of religious minorities need to have in this country,” Cox explained.

That’s when Goldblum asked about the Islamic religion and how it treats people who identify as LGBTQ.
    “Is there something in this religion that is anti-homosexuality and anti-woman? Does that complicate the issue? I’m just raising it and thinking out loud and maybe being stupid,” the actor said.

The comment instantly sparked a backlash from fans, some of whom insisted that Islam is not the only religion that persecutes women and the LGBTQ community.
    Calling it a “complex issue,” Cox said that she also has misgivings about the way people who identify as LGBTQ are treated in the Middle East.

A recent study done by the Public Religion Research Institute found that 52% of American Muslims agreed that “society should approve of homosexuality.”

https://pagesix.com/2020/04/26/jeff-...uls-drag-race/

Eh, he only asked a question.

islam is anti-woman and anti-homosexuality, as are christianity, judaism, and basically all religions in their traditional form. not sure drag race is the right place to have that discussion though lol
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Give Jeff a pass...he's eccentric and brutally honest. And some Islamic countries ARE antigay and some of their laws and cultural outlook regarding women seem misogynistic.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    islam is anti-woman and anti-homosexuality, as are christianity, judaism, and basically all religions in their traditional form. not sure drag race is the right place to have that discussion though lol
    This. All of the major religions are this way. I don’t know why some people pretend that the Bible isn’t sexist or homophobic, or that many Christian countries aren’t problematic in their treatment of women or minorities (sexual or otherwise). It’s a big part of why I am Agnostic.
    Nevan, BITTER, sputnik and 6 others like this.

While Goldblum himself admitted it was an awkward question, Saudia Arabia and Iran, which are the cradles of Sunni and Shia Islam, both have the death penalty for homosexuality in their legal code. Iran hasn't hanged someone for being gay since January of 2019, so I guess the practice of the state actually killing gay people has been winding down.
    DawnM74, BITTER, SHELLEE and 2 others like this.

pretty stupid to get backlash when there are 50 million videos on youtube about how all religions are against women and lgbt issues. i mean i could rabbit hole it for hours watching documentaries on marginalized women and murders of gays and lesbians and transgender people in the name of islam. usually more often in their own countries of origin though. most of the asshole xtians are in the west though.

Going in an entirely different direction, a more pressing question: What is Jeff Goldblum doing judging RuPaul's drag race?
    LaFolie likes this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

^^^^
    actually i'm surprised it's only his first time. he would be on my top 10 list of people who should judge Drag Race.
    Sassiness likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Well yeah, I'd watch him judging anything.

I just didn't think this would be of interest to him.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by MsDark View Post
    Well yeah, I'd watch him judging anything.

I just didn't think this would be of interest to him.

i actually really enjoyed him on the episode. he even took part in the challenge which was so funny. "he's a dinosaur doctor!!"
    MsDark and crayzeehappee like this.

The hypocrisy in the Middle East is supernatural. There is an active gay subculture, but it's very, very hidden. Many men who live as heterosexuals prefer to use women as procreation only and teenage boys for sexual pleasure. YouTube has several "dancing boy" documentaries about this practice. I first found out about it during my ship's port visit to Karachi, Pakistan. *shudder*.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    The hypocrisy in the Middle East is supernatural. There is an active gay subculture, but it's very, very hidden. Many men who live as heterosexuals prefer to use women as procreation only and teenage boys for sexual pleasure. YouTube has several "dancing boy" documentaries about this practice. I first found out about it during my ship's port visit to Karachi, Pakistan. *shudder*.
    I’ve seen a “dancing boy” video pop up on YouTube when I was watching documentaries about transgenders and drag queens. I was curious, so I watched a bit, then I had to turn it off. I had never heard of it before. It bothered me.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Thread Information