Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Robert F. Kennedy's Granddaughter and Her Young Son Missing

Default Robert F. Kennedy's Granddaughter and Her Young Son Missing

Robert F. Kennedy's granddaughter and her young son missing on Chesapeake Bay, family says

A Kennedy family spokesperson confirmed Friday that two missing people last seen in a canoe off Chesapeake Bay Thursday evening are Maeve Kennedy McKean, 41, and her eight-year-old son, Gideon. Kennedy McKean is the granddaughter of Robert F. Kennedy and daughter of Kathleen Kennedy Townsend, the former Maryland lieutenant governor.

"At this time our family asks for privacy and that everyone keep Maeve and Gideon in their prayers," said a statement from a family spokesman.

The pair were last seen drifting several miles off shore just after 4:30 p.m. Thursday, according to a press release from the Anne Arundel County Fire Department that did not disclose the victim's identifies. A water rescue dispatch arrived shortly after a concerned citizen at Columbia Beach community pier, in Shady Side, Maryland, placed a 911 call, saying they saw two people drifting in a small canoe.

A statement from the Maryland Natural Resources Police, who are leading the investigation, said Friday that a "preliminary investigation revealed that the pair may have been paddling the canoe from a residence in Shady Side, MD out into the bay to retrieve a ball and were unable to paddle back to shore."

Anne Arundel Fire Captain Erik Kornmeyer said that, despite arriving within five minutes of the call, the fire dispatch was unable to reach the canoe. "Currents were pretty fast, they moved out of sight pretty quickly," he said, adding that conditions were "rough and windy" Thursday night.

Boats and helicopters from the fire department, the City of Annapolis Fire Department, and the United States Coast Guard quickly began to search the bay, Kornmeyer said. Over two hours later, at 7 p.m., a canoe and paddle were found several miles from where Mckean and her son were first spotted.

"At approximately 7:00 p.m., an overturned canoe, matching the approximate description of the one which the pair were in, was located," the Natural Resources Police said.

The U.S. Coast Guard and a fireboat from the City of Annapolis Fire Department found the canoe and paddle east of Rockhold Creek in Deale, Maryland, near Herring Bay, according to the Anne Arundel County Fire Department press release. The search was called off at 7:30 p.m. "due to darkness," and resumed early Friday morning.

The National Weather Service said conditions will be hazardous to small craft on Chesapeake Bay all day Friday. The NWS issued a "small craft advisory" for the bay until midnight Friday, citing 15 to 20 knot (nautical miles per hour) winds, gusts of up to 30 knots, and three feet waves this afternoon, with similar conditions into the evening.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/robert-...xV7tnCWnG8JlkA

Robert F. Kennedy's granddaughter and her young son missing on Chesapeake Bay, family says

This story won't end well.

^^ Nope, especially after finding the canoe and paddle. Wow, that Kennedy curse knows no bounds.
    DawnM74 likes this.
    "Please, I can't breathe."

We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.

This just sounds awful. I can't imagine trying to keep an 8 year old boy calm in a canoe until you get rescued, no wonder they ended up in the water.

I saw a Facebook post that had the governor confirming the drownings, but can't find anything else to back that up.

Update: Town and Country Magazine seems to confirm it
    Update: Governor Larry Hogan has confirmed that Bobby Kennedy's granddaughter Maeve Kennedy Townsend McKean and her son Gideon Joseph Kennedy McKean drowned following a boating accident on the South River earlier this week.

Original: Two members of the Kennedy family, Maeve Kennedy Townsend McKean and her 8-year-old son Gideon Joseph Kennedy McKean, have gone missing near Annapolis.

According to the Washington Post, Maeve's husband David confirmed that his wife and son were canoeing on the Chesapeake Bay Thursday, and have not been seen since. Per the Post, he said they were chasing a ball that had gone out into the water.

Maeve and Gideon “popped into a canoe to chase it down. They just got farther out then they could handle, and couldn’t get back in,” he said.

People reports that local authorities have also confirmed that a 40-year-old woman and 8-year-old boy went missing after they “appeared to be overtaken by the strong winds” while boating on Thursday.

Maeve and Gideon were last spotted near Herring Bay, and according to the Baltimore Sun, "Anne Arundel County fire officials say a concerned citizen called 911 around 4:30 p.m. Thursday to report that he saw the woman and her son in a small canoe or kayak from the Columbia Beach community pier."

A canoe matching the description of the one they were paddling while missing has reportedly been recovered, but the search for Maeve and Gideon continues, and we will continue to update this store as more news becomes available.

Maeve is the daughter of Kathleen Kennedy Townsend. She is also the granddaughter of Robert F. Kennedy and the grand-niece of President John F. Kennedy.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

How terribly sad. The wind has been very bad in the area the last two days.
    rollo likes this.

It's a never-ending horror story with the Kennedys.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

They are a very large, sprawling, family, the descendants of Joseph & Rose Kennedy, but damn, the tragedies never end. This is so sad.
    Brookie, HWBL and DawnM74 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    I saw a Facebook post that had the governor confirming the drownings, but can't find anything else to back that up.

Update: Town and Country Magazine seems to confirm it
    New York Post, too. What the heck happened to the Kennedy fortune that someone would go out in a canoe to chase down a $1 ball?
    Trixie, czb, Brookie and 3 others like this.

^ Yeah, it seems like an incredibly stupid way to die, but then so was JFKJr's. Why do they continue to take unnecessary risks like that?
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Kathleen Kennedy-Townsend released the following statement to CNN Friday night:

“With profound sadness, I share the news that the search for my beloved daughter Maeve and grandson Gideon has turned from rescue to recovery. Our Maeve devoted her life to helping society’s most vulnerable. She was a Peace Corps Volunteer who pursued a career in law to give voice to the voiceless. She was Executive Director of the Georgetown University Global Health Initiative and taught bioethics and human rights as an adjunct professor, where she gave hope to those who need it most. Maeve served on the board of the Brady Campaign and Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights, where she honored the standard that we are all defined by the plight of those society leaves behind. She was a PTA president, a soccer star, and a marathon runner."

"Maeve was vivid. You always knew when she was in a room. Her laughter was loud, unabashed, and infectious. She did everything with her full self and her whole heart. She gave the best hugs, sang loudly and out of tune, danced, wrestled, argued, forgave. Maeve shone. The fire emanating from her soul warmed us all. Her husband, David, and their children, Gideon, Gabriella, and Toby, were the great joys of her life. The role she treasured most was mom."
    "Gideon, like his mom, was a star athlete who loved soccer, golf, and running. He took after his parents in the most extraordinary ways. He loved riddles, math, chess, and adventures. He loved to invent new games with his mom and share them with us all. Gideon was a loving and protective big brother to Gabriella and Toby."
    "When my uncle Ted eulogized my father, he offered a prayer that what my father was to his family, and what he wished for others, would someday come to pass for all the world. This is our prayer for Maeve and Gideon."
    "My heart is crushed, yet we shall try to summon the grace of God and what strength we have to honor the hope, energy and passion that Maeve and Gideon set forth into the world. My family thanks all for the outpouring of love and prayers as we grieve and try to bear this devastating loss.”
    Brookie, Nevan, HWBL and 2 others like this.

Kathleen has seen a lot of loss in her years on earth.
    Nevan likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Geez. This family.
    HWBL, Beeyotch and C_is_for_Cookie like this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by lindsaywhit View Post
    They are a very large, sprawling, family, the descendants of Joseph & Rose Kennedy, but damn, the tragedies never end. This is so sad.

They also tend to be a bit reckless, taking risks that a more sensible person wouldn't take.

^^^I wonder if they feel invincible because of their name, or if that risktaking thing is something in their genepool, makes them successful, thriving, but also leads to thoughtlessnes/overconfidence.
    This poor souls must have realized along the way that they'll die because of a fucking ball. Horrible.
    HWBL, lindsaywhit, DawnM74 and 3 others like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information