Like Tree25Likes
  • 10 Post By Labelwhore
  • 9 Post By greysfang
  • 6 Post By lindsaywhit

Thread: Woody Allen Memoir Dropped by Hachette After Staff Walkout

Silver Member

Default Woody Allen Memoir Dropped by Hachette After Staff Walkout

Hachette Book Group will no longer publish Woody Allen's memoir, Apropos of Nothing.
    "Hachette Book Group has decided that it will not publish Woody Allen’s memoir Apropos of Nothing, originally scheduled for sale in April 2020, and will return all rights to the author," the publishing company said in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter.
    "The decision to cancel Mr. Allen’s book was a difficult one. At HBG we take our relationships with authors very seriously, and do not cancel books lightly. We have published and will continue to publish many challenging books. As publishers, we make sure every day in our work that different voices and conflicting points of views can be heard. Also, as a company, we are committed to offering a stimulating, supportive and open work environment for all our staff. Over the past few days, HBG leadership had extensive conversations with our staff and others. After listening, we came to the conclusion that moving forward with publication would not be feasible for HBG."
    A source tells THR that following the announcement, HBG staff were surprised yet also relieved, clapping and cheering over the news.
    Thursday's walkout included employees from imprints Little, Brown and Company, which released Ronan Farrow's Catch and Kill, and Grand Central Publishing, which announced Monday that it would be releasing Allen's memoir April 7. Following the announcement, Farrow stated he would be ending his relationship with Hachette. Farrow, Allen's son, has repeatedly stated he believes his sister Dylan Farrow's allegations that the filmmaker sexually abused her as a child.
    Dylan tweeted about HBG's decision to no longer publish Allen's memoir, writing "I'm in awe and so very grateful."
    "To each and every individual who, at great professional risk to themselves, stood in solidarity with my brother, myself, and all victims of sexual abuse yesterday: words will never describe the debt of gratitude I owe to you," she added. "For someone who has felt alone in my story for so long, yesterday was a profound reminder of what a difference can be made when people stand and unite together for what's right. Thank you so very much."
    "I was disappointed to learn through press reports that Hachette, my publisher, acquired Woody Allen's memoir after other major publishers refused to do so and concealed the decision from me and its own employees while we were working on Catch and Kill — a book about how powerful men, including Woody Allen, avoid accountability for sexual abuse," the investigative reporter tweeted Tuesday. Later in the statement, he said he told the publisher he couldn't work with the company "in good conscience" any longer.
    Farrow criticized the publishing company for not fact-checking the book. "My sister Dylan has never been contacted to respond to any denial or mischaracterization of the abuse she suffered at the hands of Woody Allen — a credible allegation, maintained for almost three decades, backed up by contemporaneous accounts and evidence," he wrote. "It's wildly unprofessional in multiple obvious directions for Hachette to behave this way. But it also shows a lack of ethics and compassion for victims of sexual abuse, regardless of any personal connection or breach of trust here."
    Dylan Farrow also issued a statement Tuesday on Twitter, writing that Hachette's decision is "deeply upsetting to me personally and an utter betrayal of my brother." She also pointed to a discrepancy between the lack of fact-checking of Allen's memoir and the "endless scrutiny" and "extensive fact-checking" hers has undergone before ever being published. "Hachette's complicity in this should be called out for what it is and they should have to answer for it," she added.
    In Catch and Kill, Farrow details his initial reluctance to fully engage with or speak out publicly regarding his sister's longtime allegations about their father. The reporter broke his silence in a 2016 guest column in THR, writing,"I believe my sister. This was always true as a brother who trusted her, and, even at 5 years old, was troubled by our father's strange behavior around her."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...f-walk-1282978

nice to see that the employees have more integrity than some Hollywood actors who continue to praise and work with this cretin. Praying Roman Polanski will eventually see his downfall someday.

And a big Bravo to the staff!
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Every day heroes who put their own livelihoods at risk in order to do the right thing... and it worked. They not only made a difference, the made it just a little easier for the next group or individual to take a stand. (NOT teary - NOT. It's allergies.)
    MsDark, palta, mostroop and 3 others like this.

Stephen King slams Hachette Book Group for dropping Woody Allen memoir

Author Stephen King is horrified by a New York publisher’s decision to drop Woody Allen’s memoir.
    Hachette Book Group scrapped “Apropos of Nothing,” which was scheduled to come out next month, after Allen’s estranged son, Ronan Farrow, blasted the publisher on Twitter and dozens of employees staged a walkout Thursday. He has been a vocal supporter of his sister, Dylan, who has accused Allen of molesting her as a child.
    “The Hachette decision to drop the Woody Allen book makes me very uneasy. It’s not him; I don’t give a damn about Mr. Allen. It’s who gets muzzled next that worries me,” King tweeted Friday evening.
    “Once you start, the next one is always easier,” he added moments later.

Farrow also has said he was breaking ties with Hachette, whose imprint Little, Brown and Co. published his “Catch and Kill.” The bestseller details his reporting on sexual abuse scandals in the news and entertainment industries.
    King, who stirred the pot last month with remarks about diversity and the Oscars, caused a firestorm online when with his tweet. More than 5,000 Twitter users weighted in, many taking the master of horror to task.

In response, the typically liberal King addeda third tweet a few hours later:
    “If you think he’s a pedophile, don’t buy the book. Don’t go to his movies. Don’t go listen to him play jazz at the Carlyle. Vote with your wallet…by withholding it. In America, that’s how we do,” he said.
    Perhaps trying to mop up the damage after another wave of harsh comments, King added a final tweet: “Let me add that it was f—ing tone-deaf of Hachette to want to publish Woody Allen’s book after publishing Ronan Farrow’s.”

https://pagesix.com/2020/03/07/steph...-allen-memoir/

Thread Information