Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Jameela Jamil comes out as queer after backlash over role on voguing competition show

fgg

Default Jameela Jamil comes out as queer after backlash over role on voguing competition show

Jameela Jamil has come out as queer in response to the backlash after she was cast on HBO Max’s new ballroom voguing competition show, “Legendary.”

In a lengthy Notes app message posted to Twitter with the title, “Twitter is brutal,” Jamil, 33, began, “This is why I never officially came out as queer.”

“I added a rainbow to my name when I felt ready a few years ago, as it’s not easy within the south Asian community to be accepted, and I always answered honestly if ever straight-up asked about it on Twitter.”

“But,” she continued, “I kept it low because I was scared of the pain of being accused of performative bandwagon-jumping, over something that caused me a lot of confusion, fear and turmoil when I was a kid. I didn’t come from a family with *anyone* openly out. It’s also scary as an actor to openly admit your sexuality, especially when you’re already a brown female in your thirties.”

Jamil then announces that she’s taking a break from Twitter, writing, “I don’t want to read mean comments dismissing this. You can keep your thoughts.”

Addressing the specific critique she faced when her role on “Legendary” was announced, Jamil continued, “I know that my being queer doesn’t qualify me as ballroom. But I have privilege and power and a large following to bring to this show … Sometimes it takes those with more power to help a show get off the ground so we can elevate marginalized stars that deserve the limelight and give them a chance.”

Jamil cites “my 11 years of hosting experience, being fully impartial … and being a longtime ally of the LGBTQ community” as her qualifications for her inclusion in the show, adding that she is “a newcomer to ballroom (like much of the audience will be) and therefore a window in for people who are just discovering it now.”

“To the press,” her note concludes, “I really don’t want to talk about it. Let’s just focus on the contestants of the show until it’s out.”

Initially, much of the backlash focused on Jamil’s supposed role as MC of the show, which she insisted she was not, blaming, in turn, Deadline — who initially reported the news — and HBO.

“Transparent” star Trace Lysette weighed in on the broader issue, writing, “I interviewed for this gig. As the mother of a house for nearly a decade, it’s kind of mind-blowing when ppl with no connection to our culture get the gig. This is not shade towards Jameela, I love all that she stands for. If anything I question the decision-makers.”

Per Jamil, “Legendary” begins shooting Friday.

https://pagesix.com/2020/02/05/jamee...petition-show/
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I have no idea what this article is about. Could someone translate for the perpetually stupid old white broad?

p.s. Yes, I googled. Still lost.

I follow her and I'm still barely able to figure out what's going on. The show is a "ballroom voguing competition" and I can't figure out what that means and why she had to come out for it. I thought ballroom house meant a place where they hold ballroom dancing, but I must be wrong. I feel like I was dropped somewhere where they use all the same words but they mean completely different things. *scratches head*. (and I googled a bit, too... no dice)
    lindsaywhit likes this.

In a nutshell: lots of twitter progressives have had it out for Jameela for a long time, a lot of it reeks of sour grapes because she’s a beautiful celebrity who has been a vocal supporter of body positivity (she used to be overweight) and other progressive causes. Honestly I think a lot of them think she is actually Tahani in real life lol. And now they’ve joined forces with voguing gatekeepers who don’t think she has the credentials to be on the show, except they’re conveniently ignoring that neither do two of the other judges - a rapper and a stylist. The only one with a ballroom background is the MC.

TLDR: this kind of bullshit is a big part of why trump will get re-elected.
    Last edited by sputnik; February 6th, 2020 at 10:05 AM.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

It's kind of ironic because I think Jameela Jamil is being hosted on her own petard a little bit because she has frequently opined on things that are problematic.

That being said there are a lot of reality competition hosts whose credentials are suspect or missing altogether:

1. Did Jeff Probst come from "survivalist culture"?
    2. Was Tom Bergeron ever a top competitive dancer?
    3. Is Alex Trebek an internationally renowned polyglot academic?
    4. Can Heidi "Project Runway" Klum design her way out of a bikini bottom?
    5. Julie "Big Brother" Chen has NO brothers!
    6. Was Drew "Price is Right" Carey ever involved in any aspect of supply chain management or competitive retail marketing?
    7. Was Padma "Top Chef?" Lakshmi every a professional chef?
    8. Did Donald "Apprentice" Trump ever run a company that wasn't funded by either his dad or Russians???

Thanks! I feel like people pick a target and keep going after them to see what happens and I really hate that about social media. Jameela's so positive and open about her struggles that people are trying to get her to break.

The show sounds kind of interesting, but I don't even have HBO and I don't really watch competition shows, so I've thought about all this way too much for something I'll probably never see.

(I hope you're not right about Trump, though!)

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    In a nutshell: lots of twitter progressives have had it out for Jameela for a long time, a lot of it reeks of sour grapes because she’s a beautiful celebrity who has been a vocal supporter of body positivity (she used to be overweight) and other progressive causes. Honestly I think a lot of them think she is actually Tahani in real life lol. And now they’ve joined forces with voguing gatekeepers who don’t think she has the credentials to be on the show, except they’re conveniently ignoring that neither do two of the other judges - a rapper and a stylist. The only one with a ballroom background is the MC.

TLDR: this kind of bullshit is a big part of why trump will get re-elected.
    Thanks!

The thing that strike me (probably as an aside) is that they don’t want an outsider hosting this but if it’s going to stay on tv it needs to find a wider audience which is what Jamil brings....

Just to fill in on the jargon (I'm not a member of the ballroom community): Voguing is a dance that came from the ballroom culture of Harlem. Ballrooms are kind of like pageants, where individuals and "houses" compete for prizes.

Houses are the chosen families that make up the community, usually consisting of black and latino queer and trans drag performers. If you watch Drag Race, you'll notice people talk about coming from a certain house, sharing the last name of their drag mother, etc.

The competitions include voguing (where they competitively & aggressively dance as if they're posing in a magazine & it is awesome), [CATEGORY] Realness such as Femme Realness or Military Realness (where they try to "pass" as a member of that group,) High Fashion Eveningwear, Virgin Walk (first timers), etc. They can get very elaborate with the categories.

What's happening here is that Jameela Jamil is not part of the ballroom community, and an actual member of that community was passed over for the hosting gig. Since this community has been exploited in the past (Madonna) & is made up of at risk & disenfranchised minorities, I completely understand their being upset. I hope they can incorporate more members of the community into the show & get them regular gigs. That said, I like Jameela Jamil, and I think she'll sincerely do her best to honor the art form & community.

Ballroom culture was covered in the excellent documentary Paris is Burning!

Also, the show Pose is about ballroom culture in the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadestone View Post
    I follow her and I'm still barely able to figure out what's going on. The show is a "ballroom voguing competition" and I can't figure out what that means and why she had to come out for it. I thought ballroom house meant a place where they hold ballroom dancing, but I must be wrong. I feel like I was dropped somewhere where they use all the same words but they mean completely different things. *scratches head*. (and I googled a bit, too... no dice)
    The best way to find out what 'ballroom' is in the drag context, is to watch Paris Is Burning

the 80s (might have started in the 70s?) drag scene in Harlem was an alternative to the pageant drag circuit, which was dominated by white queens who conformed with a particular approach to drag. Crystal LaBeija lost her shit quite infamously after losing a pageant, where she (quite rightly) called out the obvious racism and classism of pageant judges and organisers.

So Crystal and other queens in New York set up their own drag scene - ballroom, in Harlem. Every weekend, the ballroom (a party held in a Harlem club or venue) would have contests amongst queens. Queens established their own 'houses's or 'haus' (e.g. teh Haus of LaBeija, the Haus of Extravaganza, etc.) where older queens and queers would support and mentor younger queens and queers, who were often thrown out of their family homes when they came out as gay or into drag.

A lot of the RuPaul's Drag Race core ideas - the 'everybody say love!', the runways on themes, etc - comes from Ru's days in teh Harlem ballroom scene.

Harlem's ballrooms is also where Vogueing came from. Well before Madonna made it mainstream, vogueing was like drag dance battles. (The portions about this in Paris is Burning are FASCINATING.)

So... fast forward.

After the success of Drag Race and POSE on FX, a new reality show is starting up, where they're going to do old school ballroom and vogueing contests, but on TV.

A lot of sanctimonious faux 'woke' types criticised Jameela for taking a role as a judge, when she was perceived to be cis-gender and straight. After a lot of brouhaha on this theme (elevate minorities by staying in your lane and freeing up spaces for people from that minority group, etc) Jameela said "Look - I am queer. This is my community - or at least, not completely removed from my community." and some other stuff.

Then said sanctimonious faux wankers got all up in arms about how DARE a straight-presenting person claim to be queer, and what does "queer" even mean? Well, fuck nuts... queer means not straight. Jameela has not elaborated, and nor does she need to do so. But she could be bisexual, or pansexual. (bi - attracted to both men and women. Pan = attracted to people rather than particular genders and non-binary gender expression. Pan includes being bi but can also be broader. Make sense?)

Once again, for those in the back...
    - gay men can be, and frequently are sexist and misogynist
    - white gay and straight people can be fucking racist
    - when you combine all of that with a large dose of being a sanctimonious twat.... you get bisexual erasure and white presenting seemingly abled people screaming abuse at a disabled queer woman of colour for not being intersectional enough...

FFS.

but also, jameela isn't the only person not from a ballroom background who was hired for the show. the stylist and rapper also don't have voguing experience, but no one cares because they're less famous than jameela so she's the better target and attacking her will get the most attention.
    Lalasnake, mostroop and Sassiness like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Thanks, lalasnake and Sassiness! I definitely have to watch Paris is Burning, as it sounds fascinating. The more I learn about the ballroom scene, the more I think I'll have to try HBO once the show starts airing.
    Sassiness likes this.

Bitter recommenced Paris is Burning in some other thread a few years ago. IIRC he was very knowledgeable and interesting on the subject.

Jameela Jamil and Michelle Collins get in Twitter spat over coronavirusJameela Jamil has found herself in the middle of another Twitter feud.On Thursday, comedian Michelle Collins took to Twitter to take bets on who would be the first celebrity to get coronavirus, before taking a jab at Jamil by tweeting: “Jameela doesn’t count.”Jamil — who was recently accused of suffering from Munchausen syndrome, a mental disorder in which a person acts as if he or she is ill without really being sick — shot back at Collins, “May you never suffer from chronic illness. May you never wake up in pain and swollen every f–king day of your life. May you never struggle with an invisible disability. May you never be laughed at over it by people who have never met you.”Referencing her NBC show “The Good Place,” Jamil, 34, added, “👎🏽 To the bad place you go. 👎🏽”The pair then continued to exchange words on the social media site.“I HAVE FINALLY MADE IT,” Collins, 38, wrote. “Learn to LOL about yourself girl, it’s freeing.”Jamil replied, “Congratulations on making fun of my chronic pain and illness. Big day for you.”“I never even brought them up. But well done turning it back around, you’re truly a pro,” Collins wrote, ending the war of words.Jamil has spoken out in interview about a number of health issues, saying she is partially deaf, has a severe shellfish and peanut allergy, has celiac disease, suffered from anorexia nervosa and survived cancer twice. She has also said she suffers from Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, which affects the skin and joints.https://pagesix.com/2020/03/06/jamee...r-coronavirus/

To be fair, she's got a lot of health issues. She was partially deaf as a child, has several allergies such as shellfish, peanut and is celiac, had cancer twice, broke her neck during a car accident when she was younger, was somehow in two accidents that involved bees, and suffers from Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. She's been accused of having Münchausen Syndrome before, but that's not really what that comedian said. It's a stupid joke, but fits. That being said, I like Jameela. But she should hire a better PR person.
    Novice, Lalasnake and Sassiness like this.
    -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information