Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: Jessica Simpson Reveals Sexual Abuse, Drinking & Pill Problem and Hitting Rock Bottom

Default Jessica Simpson Reveals Sexual Abuse, Drinking & Pill Problem and Hitting Rock Bottom

The singer has been sober since 2017.

Jessica Simpson is opening up about her painful childhood for the first time and how it led to years of substance and alcohol abuse as an adult.
    With her new memoir "Open Book" releasing in February, the singer came forward about being the victim of sexual abuse as a child in excerpts shared on PEOPLE.
    According to Simpson, the abuse began when she was 6 and shared a bed with "the daughter of a family friend." In book excerpts she said, "It would start with tickling my back and then go into things that were extremely uncomfortable."

She didn't tell her parents about it until she was 12, believing she was "in the wrong" up until that point. "I told you something was happening," her mother Tina allegedly said when Jessica revealed her abuse.
    "Dad kept his eye on the road and said nothing," wrote Simpson, "We never stayed at my parents' friends house again but we also didn't talk about what I had said."
    The trauma paired with other factors led to a dependency on alcohol and stimulants later in life, with Simpson noting she was "killing myself with all the drinking and pills."

Her rock bottom came after a Halloween party in 2017, which is when she finally opened up to her friends about her issues. "I need to stop. Something's got to stop. And if it's the alcohol that's doing this, and making things worse, then I quit," she wrote. She's been sober since that day -- saying "giving up alcohol was easy" -- crediting her friends, doctors and therapy, which "allowed myself to feel the traumas I'd been through."
    "When I finally said I needed help, it was like I was that little girl that found her calling again in life," she explained. "I found direction and that was to walk straight ahead with no fear. Honesty is hard but it’s the most rewarding thing we have. And getting to the other side of fear is beautiful."

"Open Book" releases February 4.

https://toofab.com/2020/01/22/jessic...-drug-problem/

fgg

Jessica Simpson Reveals in Brave New Memoir: 'I Was Killing Myself with All the Drinking and Pills'

Five years ago Jessica Simpson had an offer to write a motivational book “to living your best life.” But in her heart, she knew she couldn’t go through with it.

“I didn’t feel comfortable talking about myself in a way that wasn’t honest,” says Simpson, 39. “I’m a horrible liar.”

With the upcoming publication of her powerful memoir, Open Book, excerpted in this week’s PEOPLE, Simpson reveals for the first time that she was sexually abused as a young girl. The resulting emotional pain, along with other stressors, including career pressures, led her to self-medicate with alcohol and stimulants — a dependency that would later prompt her doctor to tell her her life was in danger.

“I was killing myself with all the drinking and pills,” she writes.

The star got sober in November 2017 and hasn’t had a drink since. “Giving up the alcohol was easy,” she says. “I was mad at that bottle. At how it allowed me to stay complacent and numb.”

Therapy, she says, was the hard part. As she writes, “With work, I allowed myself to feel the traumas I’d been through.”

The abuse began when she was 6 years old, “when I shared a bed with the daughter of a family friend,” she writes. “It would start with tickling my back and then go into things that were extremely uncomfortable.”

Frozen in fear, she worried it was somehow her fault. “I wanted to tell my parents,” she writes. “I was the victim but somehow I felt in the wrong.”

When she was 12 years old, she told her parents, Tina and Joe Simpson, while they were on a car trip.

Her mother slapped her father’s arm and yelled at him: “I told you something was happening.”

“Dad kept his eye on the road and said nothing,” Simpson writes. “We never stayed at my parents’ friends house again but we also didn’t talk about what I had said.”

In the years that followed, as she skyrocketed to fame with her big voice and the reality tv show Newlyweds, which documented her three-year marriage to Nick Lachey, her fans fell in love with the young woman who spoke from the heart.

But she buried her anxiety and the pain and trauma she had experienced. Only her closest friends and family knew the truth.

In 2010, the singer who runs a billion dollar clothing line the Jessica Simpson Collection, found her soul mate in Eric Johnson. They married in 2014 and now have three kids, daughter Maxwell, 7, son Ace, 6, and baby girl Birdie, 10 months.

In one of the book’s most moving scenes, she writes about hitting rock bottom after a Halloween party at their home in late 2017. That’s when she told her closest friends: “I need to stop. Something’s got to stop. And if it’s the alcohol that’s doing this, and making things worse, then I quit.”

Her friends gathered around her in a group hug and haven’t left her side since. With the support of her parents and help from a team of doctors and twice weekly therapy, she’s been sober since that day and calls her newfound clarity “a continual gift.”

“When I finally said I needed help, it was like I was that little girl that found her calling again in life,” she says. “I found direction and that was to walk straight ahead with no fear.”

“Honesty is hard but it’s the most rewarding thing we have,” she says. “And getting to the other side of fear is beautiful.”

Along with the audio book she narrated, Simpson is also releasing six new songs which tell her story.

She hopes the book (and music) will help others to know they are not alone.

“It’s been a long hard deep emotional journey,” she says, “one that I’ve come through the other side with pure happiness and fulfillment and acceptance of myself. I’ve used my pain and turned it into something that can be beautiful and hopefully inspiring to people.”

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...131808177.html
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I don't think her drinking issues would come as a surprise to anyone, considering all the drunk photos of her out there. Am guessing she used speed, adderall or whatever to stay Daisy Duke skinny back in the day. A little surprised she's only been sober for 2 years considering the ages of her kids. Which means she was still drinking when the first two were little. Hopefully they had attentive nannies.

Now, if only she would do something with those horrible Barbie extensions...
    fgg, rollo, DawnM74 and 2 others like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    I don't think her drinking issues would come as a surprise to anyone, considering all the drunk photos of her out there. Am guessing she used speed, adderall or whatever to stay Daisy Duke skinny back in the day. A little surprised she's only been sober for 2 years considering the ages of her kids. Which means she was still drinking when the first two were little.
    I would never put my children through that. Not for all the chicken by the sea!
    Nevan, rollo, DawnM74 and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I love her. If I’ve had a bad day I put her tv series on and laugh my arse off. So comedic.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    That's the difference between an addict and someone who isn't. The priorities are skewed.
    fgg, MohandasKGanja, mopar and 9 others like this.

Silver Member

Excerpt from above post: Her friends gathered around her in a group hug and haven’t left her side since. With the support of her parents and help from a team of doctors and twice weekly therapy, she’s been sober since that day and calls her newfound clarity “a continual gift."

Where is her husband in all this? Was he an enabler?
    rollo likes this.

I'm pretty sure I've seen her drunk and stumbling after late 2017??
    rollo, DawnM74, holly and 1 others like this.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

fgg

Jessica Simpson Decided to Quit Drinking After Realizing She Couldn't Dress Her Kids for Halloween

At 37, “I thought I was too young to write a memoir,” Jessica Simpson says. But within weeks of getting sober in late 2017, she began writing her story, the upcoming Open Book.

“I didn’t realize all the stuff I had to say until I was actually connected to it through music and writing,” Simpson tells PEOPLE. “So when I started to go through all the depth of the pain that I was experiencing, I realized I was pretty rock bottom.”

That was Halloween 2017. As she recounts in her book, she and her husband Eric Johnson were on their way to a school assembly for their daughter, Maxwell. Simpson was in the passenger seat.

“It was 7:30 in the morning and I’d already had a drink,” she writes.

From there, she and Eric went home and prepared for the Halloween party they were hosting that evening. Simpson dressed as her pal, country star Willie Nelson. As her team glued a gray beard on her face and put on her wig, grey with long braids, she “zoned out.”

When Johnson asked her if she wanted to get the kids ready, she realized she was not in any state to help out.

“I was terrified of letting them see me in that shape,” Simpson writes. “I am ashamed to say that I don’t know who got them into their costumes that night.”

That night, she took an Ambien to help her sleep. The next morning, she writes, “I slept in, afraid to see them, afraid I had failed them. I hid until they left, then drank.”

Simpson’s close circle of friends came over, and she told them: “I need to stop. Something’s got to stop. And if it’s alcohol that’s doing this and making things worse, then I quit.”

Her friends gathered around her and mobilized to help. With a team of doctors, the support of her parents, and twice-weekly therapy, Simpson began to face her anxiety and the emotional pain that had haunted her for years. Much of the pain stemmed from the trauma of sexual abuse she had survived as a young girl. Pain that had often led her to reach for a drink.

“This feeling of being alone and scared in the dark was one I’d had since I was abused as a child,” Simpson, now 39, writes.

As she recounts in her memoir, she has quietly reclaimed her life and her health over the past year.

“It was a long, hard emotional journey,” she says. One which resulted in the book, as well as six new songs that will be released along with the audio book she narrated.

And Simpson, who runs her billion dollar clothing line, has found new joy in being present for her husband and their three kids: daughter Maxwell, son Ace and baby Birdie, 10 months.

“I had room for so many wonderful moments that I would have missed: sober for the first time ever in my studio and seeing Maxwell grab a guitar. Ace in pajamas he put on himself, proudly adding a sticker to his bedtime chart.”

“There’s just no better gift,” she says. “There’s no better gift I can give my kids, there’s no better gift I can give my husband. More importantly, there’s no better gift I can give myself.”

https://people.com/music/jessica-sim...n-rock-bottom/
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Wow. I'm glad she got help to kick this. It's pretty bad when you are drinking at 7:30 in the morning. I had a friend who became like that. We went on a trip to Florida together and shared a room. That's when I found out he needed to drink after being asleep for like 4 hours. He needed to drink first thing in the morning. I was blown away. He never seemed drunk either. Sadly it killed him shortly after turning 50.
    BITTER likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LameAnn View Post

Where is her husband in all this? Was he an enabler?
    sperm donor.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Silver Member

John is such a creep. That Playboy interview was mind-blowing with all of his delusions of grandeur and narcissism. He's a good guitar player and songwriter, though. Although, I don't like his voice.

And some people may dis Taylor Swift's talent, but, man, were her lyrics about him spot on and really insightful considering how young she was when she wrote this song about John and his games, who was much older than Taylor. He was 32. He's emotionally abusive. He loves the games. When I was not much older than Taylor at that time I dated an older guy eerily similar to John Mayer with all of his head games. And his name was John.

Dear John

Long were the nights when my days once revolved around you
    Counting my footsteps,
    Praying the floor won't fall through, again
    My mother accused me of losing my mind,
    But I swore I was fine, you paint me a blue sky
    And go back and turn it to rain
    And I lived in your chess game,
    But you changed the rules every day
    Wondering which version of you I might get on the phone
    Tonight, well I stopped picking up, and this song is to let you know why

Dear John, I see it all now that you're gone
    Don't you think I was too young to be messed with?
    The girl in the dress, cried the whole way home, I should've known

Well maybe it's me and my blind optimism to blame
    Maybe it's you and your sick need to give love then take it away
    And you'll add my name to your long list of traitors who don't understand
    And I'll look back and regret how I ignored when they said "run as fast as you can"

The girl in the dress, cried the whole way home

Dear John, I see it all, now it was wrong
    Don't you think nineteen is too young
    To be played by your dark twisted games, when I loved you so?
    I should've known
    You are an expert at sorry,
    And keeping the lines blurry
    Never impressed by me acing your tests
    All the girls that you've run dry
    Have tired, lifeless eyes
    'Cause you burned them out
    But I took your matches before fire could catch me,
    So don't look now, I'm shining like fireworks over your sad, empty town

The girl in the dress, cried the whole way home.
    I see it all now that you're gone
    The girl in the dress wrote you a song
    You should've known, you should've known
    Don't you think I was too young? You should've known
    Last edited by LameAnn; January 23rd, 2020 at 08:54 PM.

Wow. Sounds like he really screwed her over.

Yeah I don't think anyone bought his sensitive dude act for more than 5 minutes. Major douche vibes. He's definitely a one and done if you're even going to bother at all. Definitely not someone a much younger Taylor Swift needed to be involved with. Or anyone young and sensitive.

Abuser guys like this know exactly how to pick them and never seem to go for the type of women who wouldn't put up with this bullshit. Someone who would chew them up and spit them out.

Supposedly that song Your Body Is A Wonderland was about Jessica.

Actually, when I clicked on this thread with sexual abuse in the title I halfway expected to hear something that sounded like it could be a John Mayer story but without naming him.
    holly and DawnM74 like this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Actually, Your Body is a Wonderland came out pre-Jessica, and was supposedly about Jennifer Love Hewitt. That should have given Jessica a clue, but that didn't happen until he called her "sexual napalm" in an interview.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Your Body is a Wonderland is about Jennifer Love Hewitt. It was out long before Jessica.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information