Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: "I'm Just a Bill" Singer dies

Default "I'm Just a Bill" Singer dies

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/01/enter...ead/index.html

Jack Sheldon, jazz legend and 'Schoolhouse Rock!' singer, dies at 88

By Nicole Chavez and Sarah Moon, CNN
    Updated 12:06 AM ET, Thu January 2, 2020

(CNN)Jazz great Jack Sheldon, known for his work on "The Merv Griffin Show" and "Schoolhouse Rock!," has died. He was 88.

Sheldon died December 27, said Cynthia Jimenez, the sister of Sheldon's manager, Dianne Jimenez. "To all Jack Sheldon fans, on behalf of my sister Dianne Jimenez, sadly Jack passed away on December 27. May he rest in peace with all the Jazz Cats in heaven!," Jimenez wrote in a Facebook post Monday.

More details about his death were not available Tuesday.

Sheldon was a charismatic trumpeter, singer and actor with a career that spanned several decades.

He was part of the 1950s West Coast jazz movement along with artists Art Pepper and Shorty Rogers. He collaborated on "The Shadow of Your Smile," which was part of the soundtrack of the 1965 film "The Sandpiper."

Sheldon was known for several roles in TV productions. In the 1970s, Sheldon joined "The Merv Griffin Show" as music director and trumpeter, and ultimately appeared as Griffin's sidekick for 18 years.
    In 1973, he lent his voice to the children's animated series "Schoolhouse Rock!" led by Bob Dorough. He sang tunes including the fun grammar lesson "Conjunction Junction" and "I'm Just a Bill."

"I'm just a bill. Yes I am only a bill. And I'm sitting here on Capitol Hill," he sang, explaining how a bill becomes law in the three-minute short that was broadcast between cartoons.

"Schoolhouse Rock" songs premiered in 1973 and ran on ABC for 12 years. The show came back on air in the 1990s for five more years. Today, the songs live on in YouTube videos -- some with millions of views.

He had on-screen roles in the 1966 sitcom "Run, Buddy, Run" and appeared on Sally Field's "The Girl With Something Extra" a few years later.
    Services for Sheldon will be held January 10 at Forest Lawn in Cypress, California, Jimenez wrote in her post.

<font color="#737373"><span style="font-family: CNN"><font size="3"><font color="#262626">

FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I still sing this song ALL THE TIME.... but Mrs Mo got this Schoolhouse Rock song mixed up with the Noun song, and would sing "There goes a noun..." to the tune of "I'm just a Bill".

RIP!
    greysfang, MsDark and BITTER like this.

I've never seen his face before. He looks exactly like his voice sounds. RIP.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Aw. R.I.P.
    This seems like a lot of effort just to marry one of the Jonas Brothers. - ChemicalHelena

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I still sing this song ALL THE TIME.... but Mrs Mo got this Schoolhouse Rock song mixed up with the Noun song, and would sing "There goes a noun..." to the tune of "I'm just a Bill".

RIP!
    Here's the noun song that I remember:

Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Here's the noun song that I remember:
    Yup, exactly as I remembered it. I just went to YouTube and found out that Jack Sheldon also sang Schoolhouse Rock's "Conjunction Junction" song --- another song that I still randomly torture my family with.

Another song that sticks out is "Interjections!"

And I really loved this haunting song devoted to the number "8":

Interplanet Janet and I'm Just a Bill were my two favorites. I also liked Conjunction Junction.

Brings me back to my youth. I loved all those songs and Mo, I still sing them to this day too. RIP.
    MohandasKGanja and sjankis630 like this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Conjunction Junction will be going through my head all day now.
    crayzeehappee likes this.

Elite Member

Love Schoolhouse Rock. I know the words to every song. I grew up on them. Interplanet Janet was a favorite of mine because it used my name!

In 8th grade we had to recite the Preamble to the Constitution in history class. Most of us sang the Schoolhouse Rock version.
    Yellowjacket likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post

In 8th grade we had to recite the Preamble to the Constitution in history class. Most of us sang the Schoolhouse Rock version.
    I got an A on a test in 5th grade where we had to write the entire Preamble on paper and in my head, I was singing: “We the people, in order to form a more perfect union....”

Thanks to Schoolhouse Rock!
    sjankis630 and tulip like this.

Just wanted to add that Jack Sheldon ALSO sang the "Rufus Xavier Sassaparilla" song (pronouns):

Oh, memories...
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Gold Member

Wow I just lost a part of my childhood. I hope that Mr Sheldon and all of the other singers and animators who worked on School House Rock truly understood how much their work was enjoyed by kids of my generation.
    To get up on Saturday mornings and see their work made me very happy.
    SHELLEE likes this.

So sad to read this! We are on vacation now and I have sent the link to this song to our friends to try to explain a bit about politics in the states.
    Yellowjacket likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information