Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: Mohamed Hadid's Bel Air Mega Mansion Ordered Destroyed

Default Mohamed Hadid's Bel Air Mega Mansion Ordered Destroyed

One of the reasons I'm posting this is because it has been a long-running dispute that has dramatically backfired against Hadid, the father of Bella and Gigi Hadid. But also because of the resemblance of the spectacle to Werner Herzog's "Fitzcarraldo" - both the resemblance of Hadid to Klaus Kinski and the resemblance of the ugly Hadid mansion to the steamship that the quixotic Kinski character is dragging through the hills of the Amazon basin:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...emolition.html

EXCLUSIVE: 'It must come down!' 'Broke' Mohamed Hadid's Bel Air mega-mansion is headed for demolition, as judge deems it a 'clear and present danger' to nearby homes

• Mohamed Hadid's controversial Los Angeles mega-mansion was dealt a heavy blow on Thursday when an LA judge declared it 'must come down'
    • Judge Craig Karlan ruled the 30,000-square foot was 'clear and present danger' to nearby homes in its exclusive Bel Air neighborhood
    • Judge Karlan appointed receiver Douglas Wilson responsibility of demolishing the 'eyesore', dubbed the 'Starship Enterprise' because it's so huge
    • The estimated the cost of the demolition will be 'several million dollars', and after a 3-5 month analysis of the work to be done, the building could be torn down in about six months
    • Hadid - the father of supermodels Gigi and Bella, has a $17 million loan on the property, which he has personally guaranteed
    • Last week Hadid's lawyer told the court his client 'can't afford' to pay around $5 million for the demolition, or a $500k fee to pay the receiver

Ill-fated projects, side by side:

Madmen Mohamed and Klaus side by side:

Complimentary movie poster:

Elite Member

How was the house destroyed -- fire? What was his play that went so wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    How was the house destroyed -- fire? What was his play that went so wrong?
    It hasn't been destroyed. Basically, it's been ruled a massive zoning and environmental violation. The original approved design was for 14,000 square feet. But is now 30,000 square feet without the proper permits. Check this out (source: https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...064748661.html:

But Hadid also dealt with far graver legal matters. In 2016, he pled no contest to criminal charges related to the illegal construction, and was sentenced to 200 hours of community service. He was also accused of bribing an L.A. city inspector in connection with the project, which eventually led to an FBI probe.
    tulip and Lalasnake like this.

Holy shit that looks so unstable teetering on the edge of the hillside! I'd be so pissed off (and terrified) if I owned that nice little house below with the pool and the palm trees.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Greedy, tacky motherfucker got what he deserves.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

czb

what i don't understand is how he got to overbuild without a ruling against him before the house got so large.

you know all that excavation made the hill unstable and the people in the home below are probably scared. and rightfully so.

That has got to be the ugliest looking monstrosity I have ever seen. I'd be scared shitless if I lived in one of those house below that behemoth. I hope the neighbor's cheer as they demolish that hideous nightmare.
    Jadestone and DawnM74 like this.

That is one ugly, expensive and dangerous monument to entitled assholery.

No joke! I would be freaked out if I had to look up at that thing and wait for it to come rolling down into my house. How he got away with it in the first place is a mystery. Even tearing it down will probably be quite precarious. I hope he loses his ass.
    Mivvi21 and DawnM74 like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

So my husband is an engineer for a large municipality and his job is to review and critique building plans, watch the work getting done and issue stop work orders and fines when the plans arenít followed.

I read him this story (and the stories from other sites that go into more technical detail about the violations) and he was HORRIFIED. His municipality is one of the wealthiest areas of the country and people are always doing ridiculous things with their houses without permits that he has to deal with. He said that this scenario would be his worst nightmare as an engineer and confirmed that people could have been killed. He was also baffled how a project could go from 14,000 to 33,000 square feet without plan revisions and a billion permits. He also pointed out that in the long run this all would have been much cheaper had he just paid for his architects and engineers to create a workable plan and gotten the permits.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

czb

^^^ if the city planners would've even approved the permits. it may be that hadid bribed the officials to make sure that the house could be built that size.

around here, if people built something that didn't have a permit, the city would red tag and and fine the owners. then they have to apply for a permit. permits don't always get approved.
    Beeyotch and MohandasKGanja like this.

It’s been going on for years...

At this point, the 71-year-old developer has been involved in contentious litigation related to the unfinished house for well over five years. He bought the property in 2011 with the intention of building a 14,000 sq. ft. modern home; by 2014, however, the project had somehow swollen to 30,000 square feet of megamansion-sized space in a 70-foot tall, six-story structure — all without the proper permits, according to neighbors, who were livid that Hadid flagrantly ignored stop-work orders on the swollen hillside manse and destabilized the hillside above their homes with his construction”

But Hadid also dealt with far graver legal matters. In 2016, he pled no contest to criminal charges related to the illegal construction, and was sentenced to 200 hours of community service. He was also accused of bribing an L.A. city inspector in connection with the project, which eventually led to an FBI probe.And despite his alleged money woes, Hadid — who maintains a close friendship with Lisa Vanderpump and occasionally pops up on the “Real Housewives of Beverly Hills” — managed to buy a $4.5 million housein the mountains above Beverly Hills earlier this year. He’s also built a number of other palatial spec-homes in the area, including the aptly-named Les Palais in Beverly Hills, which was sold for $32 million in 2013 to Lola Karimova-Tillyaeva, the younger daughter of Uzbekistan’s former president Islam Karimov. All of that has led neighbors to sarcastically label his newfound cash flow troubles “amazing.””

“Of course, it’s hardly the first time a Hadid statement has been treated with skepticism. Though he claimed to have completed his 200 hours of community service last year, documents accused the embattled developer of shirking his court-ordered duties by having his security guard secretly complete them in his stead. “He’s a liar,” Carole Cramer said about Hadid.

Still, Hadid appears to be keeping at least one of his promises. “Demolish this house? Never!” he told Town and Country in 2017. “This house will last forever. Bel Air will fall before this house will.””

https://variety.com/2019/dirt/moguls...203411430/amp/
    DawnM74 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    ^^^ if the city planners would've even approved the permits. it may be that hadid bribed the officials to make sure that the house could be built that size.

around here, if people built something that didn't have a permit, the city would red tag and and fine the owners. then they have to apply for a permit. permits don't always get approved.
    He had a bunch of friends in inspections and bribed a city inspector with $30K worth of cabinets to ignore the work, I guess.

My husband said that there is no way Hadid can get out out of this financially. He will have to pay to rip down the house and pay to fix all of the damage to the property, and pay the fines too. Apparently even if he died, they would go after his estate and get the money. He said that municipalities take this stuff extremely seriously (as well they should!)
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

EXCLUSIVE - Mohamed Hadid files for bankruptcy: Property tycoon father of Bella and Gigi files a Chapter 11 a week after a judge ordered him to demolish his 'eyesore' L.A. mega mansion

• Hadid filed for bankruptcy in Los Angeles on Wednesday afternoon in L.A.
    • The filing opens up the possibility that he will not have to pay for the demolition of his mega-mansion
    • Instead, the $5million tear-down job could be left to the taxpayer
    • Hadid's lawyer said in court earlier this month that he was broke
    • The 71-year-old is the father of supermodels Gigi and Bella Hadid

By RYAN PARRY, WEST COAST EDITOR AND NEIL BLINCOW FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
    PUBLISHED: 16:23, 28 November 2019 | UPDATED: 16:35, 28 November 2019

Property tycoon Mohamed Hadid has filed for bankruptcy - a week after a judge declared that his notorious Los Angeles mega mansion is dangerous and ‘must come down.’
    The filing - made just hours before the start of the Thanksgiving holiday - raises the concern that if Hadid doesn’t pay the estimated $5million it will cost to demolish his half-built colossus, then LA’s taxpayers will have to foot the bill.
    Wednesday's Chapter 11 bankruptcy for Hadid’s company, 901 Strada LLC, was filed by the maverick developer’s lawyer, Bruce Rudman, who earlier this month told LA Superior Court that Hadid was broke.
    He told Judge Craig Karlan that not only could Hadid ‘not afford’ to pay for the tearing down of his giant home, but he also didn’t have the $500,000 fee being charged by the judge appointed receiver to supervise the demolition.
    On November 20 Judge Karlan took the responsibility of demolishing the 30,000-square foot ‘eyesore’ away from Hadid and instead gave the job to receiver Douglas Wilson - the same receiver who oversaw the $35 million repair of Donald Trump’s California golf course when three holes collapsed into the ocean.

+4

Mohamed Hadid, 71, the property tycoon father of supermodels Gigi and Bella Hadid, has filed for bankruptcy

+4

A judge has ordered Hadid to tear down the 'mega mansion' he is building in L.A. because is dangerous

‘It’s unsafe and it’s dangerous... If this house came down the hill it would take a portion of the neighborhood with it,’ Judge Karlan told the court in Santa Monica.
    He noted that 71-year-old Hadid’s own structural engineer reported that piles supporting the giant home were driven only 20 feet into the bedrock, instead of the 30 feet required by building regulations.
    ‘This seems to me to be a clear cut case where the property must come down,' he said.

'We’re not talking about an extra wall or a different way into he kitchen. We’re talking about the most significant aspect of the structure - the foundation.’
    Wilson, who has a 30-year resume of dealing with ‘distressed’ properties worth a total of $15 billion in 35 states, estimated the cost of the demolition would be ‘several million dollars’, and after a 3-5 month analysis of the work to be done, the building could be torn down in about six months.
    Hadid - father of supermodels Gigi and Bella Hadid - has a $17 million loan on the property, which he has personally guaranteed.
    Michael Fazio, attorney for First Credit Bank, estimated that the site, with it’s illegally built house on it, is now only worth about $8 million.

+

Hadid's controversial Los Angeles mega-mansion is a 'clear and present danger' to nearby homes and 'must come down,' a judge declared. He is shown leaving court on November 20

+4

Neighbors have been fighting for years for the demolition of the property because of all the alleged unapproved construction. The development of the home has also been an eyesore to nearby residents

But after Hadid's attorney claimed the property developer was broke, Ariel Neuman, attorney for the neighbors said: 'It’s amazing to me because he (Hadid) just bought a multi-million dollar home in Beverly Hills.
    ‘We don’t accept this explanation. We don’t accept Mr. Hadid’s word for anything.’
    Earlier this month Judge Karlan visited the construction site to see first hand progress on the removal of the home’s illegally-built third floor and pool deck, a partial demolition he had ordered to make the building safer and bring it into line with local planning regulations.
    The civil case before Judge Karlan is running parallel with a criminal case in which Hadid has already pleaded no contest to illegal construction and is serving three years probation on condition he bring the house into compliance with building regulations - or tear it down - within that time.
    Earlier this month LA city prosecutors filed a motion in the criminal case calling for the massive home - dubbed the ‘Starship Enterprise’ because it’s so huge - to be completely demolished by April 1 next year.
    The judge in the criminal case, Judge Neetu Badhan-Smith, scheduled a hearing for December 13 to rule on the motion.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ankruptcy.html

I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

What is even happening here with his head???

I feel like that Fitzcarraldo movie is haunting me because there was some blind item about Klaus Kinski being a cannibal. Anyway, that house is horrible in every way and I'm glad it's going away.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information