Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Matthew Perry’s addiction struggles: Inside his long road of recovery and relapse

fgg

Default Matthew Perry’s addiction struggles: Inside his long road of recovery and relapse

After Matthew Perry appeared alarmingly disheveled on a recent night out with a mystery woman, fans began to wonder whether the “Friends” star — who has long struggled with substance abuse — had fallen off the wagon.

While Perry’s team has not commented on concerns over the new photos, the 50-year-old has been extraordinarily candid about his addiction issues over the years, and once even revealed he doesn’t remember filming three seasons of “Friends” because of it.

“I think the answer is, I don’t remember three years of it,” he told BBC Radio 2 in 2016. “So none of those … Somewhere between Season 3 and 6 … I was a little out of it.”

Perry struggled with Vicodin and alcohol addiction for four years before entering rehab twice — once in 1997 and again in 2001. His downward spiral, however, wasn’t immediate.

Growing up in Canada, the “Whole Nine Yards” star was raised with a competitive streak and a penchant for tennis. He rose in the junior rankings to No. 2 in Ottawa until relocating to LA with his father in 1984, where he ultimately turned to acting. Like any other struggling actor in the City of Angels, Perry faced a lot of rejection and worked on several failed TV shows before landing the life-changing role of Chandler Bing on “Friends,” a role he’d play from 1994 to 2004.

“All the superficial things about [fame] came true,” he told People in 2002 of the series’ success. “I was naive enough to think it would fulfill all aspects of my life.”

Then, three years after the show’s debut, Perry got into a jet ski accident that would ultimately be the start of his addiction issues, as he started to become completely dependent on painkillers.

“It wasn’t my intention to have a problem with it,” he said. “But from the start I liked how it made me feel, and I wanted to get more.” As his addiction escalated, “I was out of control and very unhealthy,” said Perry, who lost around 20 pounds, which became incredibly apparent on the NBC sitcom.

“I returned to my original birth weight,” he later joked.

His first rehab stint was at a facility in Minnesota, where he remained for 28 days, but the sobriety didn’t last. In 2000, Perry relapsed and ended up spending two weeks in the hospital for pancreatitis, which was caused by alcohol abuse, he said.

“Unfortunately,” Perry told People, “that still wasn’t enough to get me to quit drinking.”

Perry hit rock bottom in 2001 when he was drinking vodka by the quart and showing up to work brutally hungover and unable to function. He finally called his parents from a Dallas hotel room and asked for help.

“It was scary. I didn’t want to die,” he said. “But I’m grateful for how bad it got. It only made me more adamant about trying to get better.”

He spent two-and-a-half months in treatment and learned “that a happy life is possible without alcohol or drugs.”

The “Fools Rush In” star remained sober from thereon out, but in 2011 said he voluntarily checked back into rehab to keep his sobriety in check.

“I’m making plans to go away for a month to focus on my sobriety and to continue my life in recovery,” he said at the time. “Please enjoy making fun of me on the World Wide Web.”

Just two years later, Perry changed many lives when he converted his Malibu, Calif., home into Perry House, a sober-living facility for men that offered meditation and a 12-step workshop.

“When I die, I’d like ‘Friends’ to be listed behind helping people,” Perry said.

In 2015, Perry received the Phoenix Rising Award from the wide-reaching nonprofit drug and alcohol rehabilitation organization Phoenix House and joked to The Hollywood Reporter that he was an “award-winning alcoholic.”

“I’ve had a lot of ups and downs in my life and a lot of wonderful accolades,” he told the trade publication that year, “but the best thing about me is that if an alcoholic comes up to me and says, ‘Will you help me stop drinking?’ I will say, ‘Yes. I know how to do that.'”

The “Odd Couple” actor eventually sold the Malibu house for $10.7 million with hopes of relocating Perry House to Santa Monica, where it would’ve been cheaper to run.

“I’m keeping the business going because I like it; it’s a good way to help alcoholics,” he said.

His plan ultimately didn’t come to fruition, and he permanently closed Perry House in 2016 amid rumors he was struggling in London as he performed in the West End.

Come 2018, Perry had a health setback, though he didn’t mention substance abuse when speaking about it. In August of that year, a rep for Perry confirmed he underwent surgery to repair a gastrointestinal perforation, and the actor then tweeted in September that he’d spent three months in the hospital.

One to stay out of the spotlight, Perry didn’t truly emerge until Jennifer Aniston joined Instagram in October 2019 and he appeared in her “Friends” cast reunion photo.

https://pagesix.com/2019/11/05/matth...y-and-relapse/

pics at the link.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Last seen out and about in New York in July 2019, just a month ahead of his 50th birthday. Ummm...

I hope he is doing well.

ETA: He needs a bra.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

I wish him luck. He was my fav on Friends. It's been sad over the years reading of his setbacks.

he's melting
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Poor Matthew. I wish him well.
    HWBL likes this.

Elite Member

That's really sad. Watching Friends reruns you can really tell when he was struggling.

He looks horrible now. Such a long, hard struggle to remain sober.
    HWBL likes this.

Holy shit, he looks terrible!

if I only saw his torso, I’d have thought it was a pregnant woman. Damn.

Nice Titties.

He needs to speak to Simon Cowell about moob removal.

On the other hand, I like him and wish him well. He seems genuinely funny without a script and converting his own home into a sober living facilitiy is a good thing to have done.
    holly likes this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

I once saw a special on Friends when it was a hit. It said that he was a very good junior tennis player but opted to become an actor instead, like his dad. I wonder if and how his life might have been different had he chosen a tennis career.....
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Matt's always seemed like a really nice person IRL--and he was such a twinkly-eyed cutie back in the day, too. Booze and pills will take their toll on your health AND your looks.

What a shame his demons continue to haunt him.
    holly likes this.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    I once saw a special on Friends when it was a hit. It said that he was a very good junior tennis player but opted to become an actor instead, like his dad. I wonder if and how his life might have been different had he chosen a tennis career.....
    Probably would have had the same issues but with less money. He became addicted to pain meds following an injury and injuries are an occupational hazard for sportsmen and women.
    holly likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I hope he recovers. Addition is a bitch. Someone needs to create a line of man bras.
    “Cigarettes and coffee: an alcoholic's best friend!”
    ~Gerard Way

He does not look well. Such a beautiful man with amazing comedic talent, but the demon of addiction is his ruler, by the looks. Oh so so so sad. Please get well Matthew,
    Jack I swear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information