Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Lena Dunham reveals battle with Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS)

Default Lena Dunham reveals battle with Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS)

Lena Dunham reveals battle with Ehlers-Danlos syndrome

By Alexandria Hein, Fox News

November 4, 2019

Lena Dunham revealed on Instagram this weekend that she has been dealing with a flare-up of Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS), a chronic illness that weakens connective tissues and affects the skin, joints and blood vessel walls. The Golden Globe-winning actress made her revelation alongside a paparazzi photo which captured her walking to a car in her nightgown and slippers with the aid of a cane.
    “I could choose to be embarrassed by these paparazzi pics – I mean, that’s probably the point of someone publishing them in the first place – but I’m really not,” she said. “I could lie and say it was an early Halloween look (Don’t you get it? I’m going as a con woman leaving a Florida Keys jail after being acquitted of murdering her husband, and now she’s trying to get disability license plates.) But the truth is just: This is what life is like when I’m struggling most with chronic illness.

“An Ehler-Danlos syndrome flare means that I need support from more than just my friends… so thank you, sweet cane!” she wrote. “For years, I resisted doing anything that would make my physical situation easier, insisting that a cane would ‘make things weird.’ But it’s so much less weird to actually be able to participate than to stay in bed all day.”
    EDS is estimated to affect about 1 in 5,000 people worldwide, according to the U.S. National Library of Medicine. It’s a group of inherited disorders that weaken connective tissues, which are proteins that support skin, bones, blood vessels and other organs. Symptoms vary from mild to life-threatening and can include loose joints, fragile, small blood vessels, abnormal scar formation and wound healing and soft, velvety skin that bruises easily, according to MedLinePlus.gov.

There is no cure for EDS, with treatment typically involving the management of symptoms and can include physical therapy and medicines.
    Dunham wrote that she was on her way to a doctor’s appointment when the photo was snapped and was wearing her nightgown because she “wanted to be fully cozy.”
    “I mean, didn’t Bieber wear hotel slippers for life five years?” she wrote. “Yeah, so I can wear my glamour nighty for two hours. And then an hour later, I’m in a meeting look tackling the job I love. That’s the two-fold life of a woman with chronic illness; we still rock our dreams and goals and passions (and fashions) and we live many lives in one day. Tell me about your day!”
    It’s not the first time Dunham has used her platform to spread awareness for a medical cause. To mark endometriosis awareness month in March, she uploaded a photo to Instagram of her 12 scars on her abdomen and the corresponding dates of surgeries, which include a hysterectomy and surgery to remove her left ovary. She’s also been open about sobriety and managing her anxiety.

https://pagesix.com/2019/11/04/lena-...nlos-syndrome/

for a moment i was like, do they hand out medical books to celebs to pick up some rare illness, but yeah, it's no fun being really ill and not even botox and fillers can help.
    Bluebonnet, rollo and DawnM74 like this.

She needs help.
    Bluebonnet, Penelope and DawnM74 like this.
    I saw DEATH, an anorexic penguin, an overcooked Gollum, Mr. Burns in need of a haircut and a methed-up Riff Raff.--Michael K. on Phil Spector

If she does have this, I feel very sorry for her. I had a friend succumb to vascular Ehlers-Danlos and she suffered a lot.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Elite Member

I'm going to sound like a total bitch, but my first reaction was that this was BS. It's just because of my intense dislike of her. She seems like such an attention whore to me.
    Sylkyn, czb, Annika and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    I'm going to sound like a total bitch, but my first reaction was that this was BS. It's just because of my intense dislike of her. She seems like such an attention whore to me.
    I get it. It’s easy to feel that way with certain people. Like it’s hard to take them or their issues seriously because they come across as attention whores or “excuse makers” but if she’s truly suffering, my heart goes out to her.
    tulip likes this.

I never heard of it until this past August, after my sister in law was diagnosed with it.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    I felt the exact same way, because she is such a self possessed insufferable attention whore, but actually it's not such an uncommon disease if you look at the numbers, so she might very well be super unlucky enough to suffer from this and severe endometriosis, in which case I really feel sorry for her.
    (I still intensely dislike her, but I hope she gets better)
    DawnM74 likes this.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

i feel bad she is suffering but umm, what has she been doing lately?
    DawnM74 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Annika View Post
    i feel bad she is suffering but umm, what has she been doing lately?
    Trying to kiss Brad Pitt.
    Annika and palta like this.

lol, Brad looks super uncomfortable.
    czb and DawnM74 like this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

yeah, Brad's a little stiff here - you know he saw here coming!
    DawnM74 likes this.

She's probably no worse than the unfortunate choices he's made anyway.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

i used to like her back in 2012 when i started watching girls, but over the series i started to dislike her character which made me think that her personality on the show and her real person were very similar and now she irritates me. especially how she seems to try to be open and controversial but keeps screwing up and having to apologize. i wasn't even bothered by her book that was so cringey, but all that stuff about the fake rape, her wishing she had experienced an abortion (?), the whole whiney piece on how that athlete didn't want to sleep with her, and admonishing the person who accused her friend of inappropriate behaviour, that was just so, like, shut up already!! omg!!!

i feel like she's some overprivileged rich kid who is 'fake' woke about everyday female issues and struggles, yet hasn't really experienced them because she's gotten "accolades" and tremendous success from a young age, probably from her parent's connections.

^^ Everything you just said. I really liked Girls in the first season or two. After that I literally hated all of the characters even though I continued to watch it. The only bright spot was Andrew Rannells
    fgg likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information